Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Cumulus receiving wind data problem

Discussion specific to Fine Offset and similar rebadged weather stations
pernaczy
Weather Station: Fine Offset WH 2080, TFA Spring
Operating System: Windows 7

Cumulus receiving wind data problem

Post by pernaczy »

Hi,
Today morning I realized that for the previous couple of hours Cumulus recorded still the same wind speed and wind direction data (see first picture. I disconected and than reconected wind sensors and Cumulus seems ts to start to receive correct data.

After that I started Easy Weather (with Cumulus turned out of course) and noticed that here ewerything seems to be OK (see the second picture).

So, my conclusion is that for all that period station has been receiving the "wind data" normally and for some reason Cumulus has been recording wrong wind data data.
Why?
Attached pictures are showing only wind speed data but the same happened with wind direction data.
For all that period an "outside temperature" and "outside humidity" data were recorded normally by Cumulus.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The day when I have learned something is not the lost one.
Ignorance can be corrected with the help of a book. Stupidity requires a shotgun and a shovel.

ConligWX
Weather Station: Davis vPro2+ w/DFARS + AirLink
Operating System: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS

Re: Cumulus receiving wind data problem

Post by ConligWX »

Hello

Cumulus only records what data it is given. I cannot see why Cumulus would suddenly change correct live data to something obscure.

What exactly did you disconnect/reconnect? the Weather Station Console to your computer?

Fine Offset Consoles are well known for lockups. is the console directly connected to the computer Cumulus is running from with just a straight USB lead?

One of the best Recommendation for fine offset Consoles is to attach it to a Powered USB hub first, then attach that to the PC. also adding Ferrite cores to the Neds of the USB cable can help with lockups too.
Regards Simon

https://www.conligwx.org - @conligwx
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus with Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • Davis AirLink • PurpleAir •

water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by water01 »

Close Cumulus, roll the data files back to the previous day using the automatic backups held in the Backups folder and then restart Cumulus and it will import the correct data from the logger as Easyweather did.
David
AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by AllyCat »

Hi,

That does seem to be an "unusual" error; you could examine the Oct17log.txt file to see if there are any clues.

Also, if the data is still stored in the Console, you could copy the backup files from a previous time/day (into the data folder) and try downloading the data from the Console again.

Cheers, Alan.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

Do you have any spike removal settings for wind? Are there any messages in the diags log about wind speed?
Steve
pernaczy

Post by pernaczy »

First thank all of you for your remarks.
Now let's go to the answers.
Toxic17 wrote:Hello
What exactly did you disconnect/reconnect? the Weather Station Console to your computer?
Fine Offset Consoles are well known for lockups. is the console directly connected to the computer Cumulus is running from with just a straight USB lead?
One of the best Recommendation for fine offset Consoles is to attach it to a Powered USB hub first, then attach that to the PC. also adding Ferrite cores to the Neds of the USB cable can help with lockups too.
1. I disconnected and than reconnected wind sensors from the transmitter.
2. the console is directly connected to the computer Cumulus is running from with just a straight USB lead (I will change this with powered usb hub and will add Ferrite cores).
water01 wrote:Close Cumulus, roll the data files back to the previous day using the automatic backups held in the Backups folder and then restart Cumulus and it will import the correct data from the logger as Easyweather did.
I will try this.
AllyCat wrote:Hi,
That does seem to be an "unusual" error; you could examine the Oct17log.txt file to see if there are any clues.
Also, if the data is still stored in the Console, you could copy the backup files from a previous time/day (into the data folder) and try downloading the data from the Console again.
Cheers, Alan.
1. Attached is my monthly log file for the month of October. The period we are talking about is from October 4th to 08:00 of 5th October.
2. I will try to restore data using backup files.
steve wrote:Do you have any spike removal settings for wind? Are there any messages in the diags log about wind speed?
This seems to be the point. Probably I set them too low (5m/s for wind and 8m/s for gust). I have already changed them. Attached you can find the "diag" file and the spike removal settins picture I set now.
Piotr
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ignorance can be corrected with the help of a book. Stupidity requires a shotgun and a shovel.

steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

I can’t seem to view the diags file as I’m on my iPad, but those wind spike settings were far too low. If you look in the diags file you should see messages about the wind speed being ignored because of spike removal.
Steve
pernaczy

Post by pernaczy »

Thank you, Steve. You are absolutely right (as always). I can see such messages.
1. Assuming I will reload data from the station. I understand Cumulus will now not ignore them (as I have already increased spike remove values). Am I right?

2. In my case, wind speed and wind gust are being shown in km/h. Spike remowal values must be entered in m/s. So if I want Cumulus to ignore wind speed difference bigger than 30 km/h, I have to set spike removal as 8 m/s right

3. What values of spike removal for the wind speed and wind gust would you recommend?

4. Do you know, if I reset (remove batteries) my FO WH2080 station, will station logger settings (I set it to 10 minutes) go to the default (30 minutes)?
Sorry for so many questions.
Piotr

steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

1. Spike removal doesn’t operate on logger data anyway.

2.Yes

3. I can’t suggest figures, it depends on the wind profile where you are. Start high and work down if necessary, is my advice.

4. I don’t know.
Steve
pernaczy

Post by pernaczy »

Thank you, Steve. :D
Piotr