Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Cumulus MX and Raspberry Pi ... advice please

Topics about the Beta trials up to Build 3043, the last build by Cumulus's founder Steve Loft. It was by this time way out of Beta but Steve wanted to keep it that way until he made a decision on his and Cumulus's future.

Moderator: mcrossley

odintheterrible
Weather Station: Brandson 304577 & GW1000
Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit

Cumulus MX and Raspberry Pi ... advice please

Post by odintheterrible »

Greetings one and all,

As a total novice to Raspberry Pi I'm looking at using this left over pi from a previous project to run Cumulus MX. Problem is, I'm also very interested in running 'Restreamer' on the Pi to live stream a weather cam.
As a novice, I started by installing the Raspbian release which is good because of the GUI which helps a lot instead of having to rely on command line prompts etc
So question 1 is: what would be the best location on the Pi to extract the Cumulus stuff to ?
But now it gets tricky, because as far as I can find out, Restreamer comes as an image for the Pi and once installed it has no GUI, just the command line, so would it be possible to unzip Cumules to a created directory/folder in order to get it to run, assuming that I can get the latest version of MONO to install ?
Talk about a steep learning curve ... it's vertical !!!!!! LOL
Any assistance/input would be greatly received ;)

Thanks
"Qui Custodit Ipsos Custodes ? ..."

Duct Tape is like 'The Force' ... it has a 'Light Side' AND a 'Dark Side' and it binds the Universe together !
weathersoft
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Raspbian

Re: Cumulus MX and Raspberry Pi ... advice please

Post by weathersoft »

Hi,
I don't see any issue with running both CumulusMX and Restreamer together in a RaspberryPi under Raspbian. note that Raspbian is a full GUI operating system like WIndows or MacOS, and also has a full Unix command line capability within it.

To install Cumulus just unzip it to a directory under your login directory on the Pi. Typically your login directory will be /home/pi, so Cumulus will end up in /home/pi/CumulusMX.

Restreamer runs as a docker image, so just install docker as per the instructions on the restreamer page and run. As long as the two are running on different ports, they will both be available via a web browser by specifying the appropriate port number.

Basically, you just need to follow the instructions as is for each of the two programs. The fact that they are both installed on the same Raspberry Pi is no more an issue that installing both Word and Excel (for example) on a PC.

Good luck!
David
odintheterrible
Weather Station: Brandson 304577 & GW1000
Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit

Re: Cumulus MX and Raspberry Pi ... advice please

Post by odintheterrible »

Thanks ... that's a great help and very informative ;)
"Qui Custodit Ipsos Custodes ? ..."

Duct Tape is like 'The Force' ... it has a 'Light Side' AND a 'Dark Side' and it binds the Universe together !