Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

MX keeps stopping uploading to website

Topics about the Beta trials up to Build 3043, the last build by Cumulus's founder Steve Loft. It was by this time way out of Beta but Steve wanted to keep it that way until he made a decision on his and Cumulus's future.

Moderator: mcrossley

beeman
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Raspbian

MX keeps stopping uploading to website

Post by beeman »

I installed MX some while ago on a Pi 2 with an Oregon Scientific WMR 928 console. MX would occasionally just stop updating the website and the MX console would not load in Firefox. I could still get to the Pi with PuTTY so I just did a restart.

The WMR 928 was pensioned off in March and was replaced with a Davis Vantage Vue. The problem is still there.

I've attached the end of 2 MX diag files. My version of MX is Cumulus MX 3.0.0 b3035 - yes I know it is quite old :oops:

Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: MX keeps stopping uploading to website

Post by steve »

The Microsoft system code is throwing an exception when it tries to access the serial port. That's all I can say, I'm afraid. Perhaps there's a problem with your serial/USB adapter. Are you using a powered USB hub?
Steve
beeman

Post by beeman »

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reply. I'm not using a powered hub but I do have one somewhere. I'd worked out the problem was something to do with the USB port but hoped it was something obvious. I think this is a different Pi that the WMR928 was attached to but I may be wrong. It happened again this morning @11:00 I'll swap Pis and the USB cable.

Where in the world are you at present?
Regards
Dave
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

You should try with a powered hub, a pi really needs one for a device which consumes significant power, like a weather station. That said, I'm not sure how much power a Davis stations needs to draw from the USB port, given that it has its own power supply.

At the moment, we are at a caravan park close to Inverewe Gardens in the North-West of Scotland. We're spending Easter here before moving off North again, probably arriving back home in Sanday a week on Monday, after seven months away.

This the view from our van today:
inverewe.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve
beeman

Post by beeman »

Great view :)

I have one of these which I put in the line last night. As far as I could tell, no power was coming out of the USB port to feed the console.

I have the USB power meter as one of my other RPis has an RTL-SDR dongle which does consume a lot of power from the USB port.
beeman

Post by beeman »

I put a powered hub in yesterday but it failed again overnight. Do you think there is any point in getting a "better" USB cable or fitting a couple of ferrite chokes?

I have a Pi Zero W on order so I'll do a new installation on that and report back.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Yes, I guess anything is worth trying.
Steve