Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Windows 10 auto startup

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
corrour24
Weather Station: davis vantage pro2
Operating System: windows 7

Windows 10 auto startup

Post by corrour24 »

Help time please.....

I am running Cumulus 1.94 build 1098 to display Davis vantage pro 2, which I have no issues with.
On windows 8 I had it set so it would automatically start Cumulus if computer reset etc..
Did a full clean install of windows 10 last month,and although everything runs fine if I put Cumulus in the startup it won't start after reset but says error vantage pro doll missing..

Thanks in advance.. :bash:
The Western Isles Have Wild Weather & Wild Whisky.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Windows 10 auto startup

Post by steve »

There's an item in the FAQ about this, with a link to a web site describing a way to do it using Task Scheduler. What I'm not sure of is whether this method does actually still work - Microsoft may have changed something which stops it working.
Steve
corrour24

Post by corrour24 »

Will give it a go Steve before try MX
corrour24

Post by corrour24 »

That doesn't work steve
Will try later putting dll directly in windows system folder.

John
archae86
Weather Station: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 7

Scheduled task works for me

Post by archae86 »

Until recently I had my Cumulus installation running on a Windows 7 machine, and used a scheduled task to start it up. A few weeks ago I moved Cumulus to a Windows 10 machine, but did not get around to implementing the scheduled task revision to startup Cumulus. Unfortunately, this meant that when I rebooted a couple of hours before leaving on a four day trip last week, I forgot to restart Cumulus, so my Weather Underground and personal web site did not update for days.

So just this morning I added a Cumulus startup line to my existing scheduled task triggered by my user logon on the Windows 10 machine.

It worked. So, corrour24, it can work with current version cumulus and Windows 10. What remains is possible configuration differences, either of our host machines, or of Cumulus, or of details of how we did the scheduled startup. Mine was not based on Steve's FAQ, so may differ from yours materially.

Just hitting the highlights:
In Task Scheduler|Task Scheduler Library
general properties: set to run only when user is logged on, and to run at highest privileges
Trigger: at log on (of my own user ID), delay task for 30 seconds
Action: start a program (which in my case is set to run a batch file)

looking into the contents of the batch file itself, the line which actually starts up Cumulus is this one:

Code: Select all

start /d "C:\Tools\Cumulus" cumulus.exe
Obviously the directory specification part of this reflects the location where I have Cumulus installed on my PC, which is almost certainly different from yours.

As part of the history of my development of other things I do to my PC with this delayed startup batch file, I generally have a few seconds of delay between each actual program start. The construct I use for this is the timeout command. For example:

Code: Select all

timeout /t 5
imposes a delay of 5 seconds
My cumulus generated weather site is at http://pastoll.info/weather
agsteele
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by agsteele »

Thanks for this. I was seeking an answer for MX and the task scheduler approach worked.

Andrew