Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Wind data from Davis Pro2

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
SaraU
Weather Station: Davis pro2
Operating System: Windows 10 v1607

Wind data from Davis Pro2

Post by SaraU »

I have a Davis Pro2 anemometer (I needed a sensor rated up to 200mph) and a WindTracker data logger that writes to an SD card in the tracker unit.
I am only interested in wind so did not shell out for the whole Davis station. However, now I would like to receive real-time wind data wirelessly to my PC and I can't see how to do it. Looks like Cumulus might interpret the data for me but how to get it to my PC? Any ideas? (Currently, to download data from the SD card in the logger I need to go out to the unit, unscrew the cover and take the card to my PC.)
prodata
Weather Station: VP2
Operating System: Windows - all flavours

Re: Wind data from Davis Pro2

Post by prodata »

It's not obvious from your post whether the anemometer is local to the PC or remote from it. Different solutions in each case.
John Dann
Prodata Weather Systems
Littleport, East Cambs, UK
http://www.weatherstations.co.uk
SaraU

Post by SaraU »

Thanks for your reply. PC and wifi network is about 20m from the anemometer. From my research seems like I am stuck with purchasing the entire weather station capability - which costs a mint and I really don't need. Also hard to find a data logger that will give me DATE and TIME plus the windspeed and direction. Why so hard??
prodata
Weather Station: VP2
Operating System: Windows - all flavours

Post by prodata »

The answer, I think, is that the costly part - including development as well as low-volume production costs - of creating a loggable, self-powered, wireless sensor is in the wireless transmitter and receiving devices and the logger itself. Once you have these components then it's relatively simple and cheap to add additional sensors. So a typical mid-range weather station is designed around the Tx/Rx/Display/logger and it makes sense to add sensors for T/H. wind, pressure and rain to this core circuitry, since this is what the great majority of users will want.

You can buy the Davis parts for logging just wind data (which will give full logging including datestamp) but the cost won't be much/any cheaper than buying the complete station (because you're trying to build a system from component parts rather than the full factory-packed station).
John Dann
Prodata Weather Systems
Littleport, East Cambs, UK
http://www.weatherstations.co.uk
AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by AllyCat »

Hi,

I suspect that you're looking for an "Off The Shelf" solution. But if you're prepared for a fair bit of "Do It Yourself" work then take a look at the WeatherDuino Project.

Cheers, Alan.
SaraU

Post by SaraU »

John, yes, you are quite right. And Alan, thanks for that link. I have been doing some research on home-built Arduino systems. I am a total novice but might find a student to help me with the project. My proprietary data logger also doesn't provide the raw data that I need - it is already summarised in the black box of the logger and I want data points for date/time, windspeed and direction that I can analyse in detail - another reason for a DIY solution. Professor Google has provided me with a few pointers....now it's time for a crash course in electronics. Thanks again for your responses.
AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by AllyCat »

Hi,

I don't know how deeply you looked at the meteocercal forum, but the Weatherduino is now much more mature than in the Sandaysoft forum announcement in 2014. In particular, the Davis anemometer is supported / recommended and most of the other sensors are either optional or may be added at negligible cost. There are now "Pro" and "Pro Plus" versions of the receiver / logger.

You haven't said where you're located or how you plan to power the anemometer transmitter. My only real concern is that it's largely designed in Portugal and many users are in Australia (because there was a magazine article there) where solar power is much more plentiful than at some higher latitudes.

EDIT: This very new thread here looks as if it also might be of interest.

Cheers, Alan.
SaraU

Post by SaraU »

Thanks for all your replies. I have ordered a Windlogger which apparently provides the data I need - date/time, direction and max speed, and will record up to 60m/s. It is not wireless (I had to compromise somewhere!) so maybe building a wireless Arduino can be a winter project....Cheers.