Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

problem to add station in CumulusMX on Raspberry 3

Topics about the Beta trials up to Build 3043, the last build by Cumulus's founder Steve Loft. It was by this time way out of Beta but Steve wanted to keep it that way until he made a decision on his and Cumulus's future.

Moderator: mcrossley

JanP
Weather Station: Vantage Pro 2
Operating System: Linux/Raspberry3

problem to add station in CumulusMX on Raspberry 3

Post by JanP »

Hello everybody,
I must admit I am relatively new into Raspberry and Linux - so far more working on Mac and Win machines and not so familiar with command lines.
However I became curious and like to move from Weatherlink to CumulusMX.
So far following the instruction and I can see CumulusMX on my Raspberry at localhost:8998 - so far so good.

But when I like to set up the station I receive on pushing "Save" an error message, which does not say me much; "JavaS...html" / "error (object Object)"
Java installed on Raspberry is 1.7.0_101

Is there anybody, who can give me a hint, what to do?

Pleased to hear.
Regards
Jan
///
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: problem to add station in CumulusMX on Raspberry 3

Post by steve »

This is usually caused by using a version of Mono which doesn't work with comma-decimals, as mentioned in the FAQ. What version of Mono are you using?

There are other threads on the forum about this, e.g.:

https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=15274
https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=15128
Steve
JanP

Post by JanP »

I actually followed the instruction in Announcement thread and used:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install mono-complete

How can I get out, which version of Mono has been installed?
In fact I have installed it without additional "country settings", i.e. -DE or alike.

Regards
Jan
///

steve wrote:This is usually caused by using a version of Mono which doesn't work with comma-decimals, as mentioned in the FAQ. What version of Mono are you using?

There are other threads on the forum about this, e.g.:

https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=15274
https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=15128
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Type mono -V at a command line.

Note that the instructions do also mention installing other versions of Mono if your system uses comma decimals ;)
Steve
JanP

Post by JanP »

Well, might that be the point?
The Raspberry is set to "German" and as far as I know here are used comma decimals - but likely I mixed it up here.
I have Mono 3.2.8 installed.
Do I need to remove / reinstall again with some additional settings or do I need a newer version?

regards
Jan
///
steve wrote:Type mono -V at a command line.

Note that the instructions do also mention installing other versions of Mono if your system uses comma decimals ;)
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Yes, as it says at the top of the MX FAQ, Mono 3.2.8 will cause problems if decimal commas are in use. You will need to install a later version.
Steve
rogerthn
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1000/GW1003
Operating System: Raspberry Pi OS bullseye aarch64

Post by rogerthn »

I am running mono 3.2.8 with decimal commas on my Raspberry with wheezy.
Locale en_GB.UTF-8 and sv_SE.UTF-8 installed (sudo raspi-config 4, I1) with en_GB.UTF-8 as default.
Starting CumulusMX as below

Code: Select all

sudo mono CumulusMX.exe -lang sv-SE
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

I think that as noted on another thread, the -lang parameter isn't always having the full intended effect. It could be that by having your system set to GB by default, but by using the -lang parameter, you are getting around the problem in Mono with decimal commas, but still somehow getting Cumulus to work with decimal commas.
Steve
rogerthn
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1000/GW1003
Operating System: Raspberry Pi OS bullseye aarch64

Post by rogerthn »

steve wrote:I think that as noted on another thread, the -lang parameter isn't always having the full intended effect. It could be that by having your system set to GB by default, but by using the -lang parameter, you are getting around the problem in Mono with decimal commas, but still somehow getting Cumulus to work with decimal commas.
I did have some tries before ending up with this, for me working solution :mrgreen:
JanP

Post by JanP »

steve wrote:I think that as noted on another thread, the -lang parameter isn't always having the full intended effect. It could be that by having your system set to GB by default, but by using the -lang parameter, you are getting around the problem in Mono with decimal commas, but still somehow getting Cumulus to work with decimal commas.
Looks like.
On my side it did not bring success.
I also did not yet manage to install mono 4 even though having deleted mono 3.2.8. before. Is there something to be deleted manually before re-installation?

Regards
Jan
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

I've had very little success myself trying to install different versions of Mono for testing purposes, although many others seem to manage it OK. There are posts on the forum where people have described what they have done, which may be of some help. Here's a thread which might be useful, for example - https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=14635
Steve
Werk_AG
Weather Station: WeatherDuino 4Pro
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by Werk_AG »

JanP,

Follow the post referred by Steve and install Mono 4.0.2
I'm running Mono 4.0.2 and CumulusMX with decimal commas (Portuguese settings) without any problem.
The freedom to choose the weather instruments you want
JanP

Post by JanP »

thanks to everybody - I finally managed to install the new version of Mono - now it works fine.
I found, that when running the Raspberry down, the menu was still in English language (everything else assumed to be set to German).
Perhaps in the end I made some wrong settings "in the background", so I am not sure, if the problem with adding a station resulted from the older version of Mono or the "mixed" language settings.

Regards
Jan
VTHokie74
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2
Operating System: Rasbian

Post by VTHokie74 »

In a couple of days I have gone from an out of the box Raspberry Pi 3 kit to an up and running headless installation. Here are some lessons learned for me as a complete neophyte on the Raspberry.
  1. Read the announcement post and then read it again. Read the FAQ
  2. Make sure to update the OS and apps after installing Rasbian. sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
  3. If you live in the US be sure to set your locale. The Raspberry defaults to the UK. There are sites that explain how to "Americanize" your Raspberry. If you copy over your old Cumulus data files and don't have the locale set properly the data files will not read correctly. My record dates were screwed up by this until I figured out the issue. If you don't catch it when you first configure then run raspi-config and set it. Be sure to uncheck the en-UK locale if you are in the US.
  4. Case matters in Linux for files and folders.
  5. Get an SSH addin for your browser or standalone program like PuTTY. This will allow you to access your Raspberry without having to connect a monitor, mouse and keyboard.
  6. Get Screen and learn how to use it to run CumulusMX in it's own screen. sudo apt-get install screen If you run anything using SSH in a terminal window it closes as soon as you close the window.
I am sure the veteran Linus users could add a lot more but these are some of the things I learned through trial and many errors.
Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2/CumulusMX/Raspberry Pi 3
jank
Weather Station: FineOffset WS3080
Operating System: Debian Buster - Raspbian - Raspb

Post by jank »

JanP, I know I am late and you already made it, but here I am running: RaspberryPi 2
My loglines contain commas
24.12.14;17:36;7,0;91;5,6;7;10;50;0,0;0,0;1014,1;998,7;19,1;48;7;5,7;7,0;0;0;0,00;0,00;4,6;0;0,0;90;0,0;0,0

My local is german
System Locale: de_DE.UTF-8 - CumulusMX Language: German
and finally my Mono Verison is
Mono Version: Mono JIT compiler version 4.0.5 (Stable 4.0.5.1/1d8d582 Thu Nov 12 12:22:41 UTC 2015)
Do want a Managing Dashboard for CumulusMX on RaspberryPi? cumulusmx.sh
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=17907