Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Met Office WOW site - upgraded but many stations missing

Talk about anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - PLEASE don't put Cumulus queries in here!
Mapantz
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 11 x64

Re: Met Office WOW site - upgraded but many stations missing

Post by Mapantz »

Honestly.. WoW baffles me..
5.0mm of rain has fallen, yet it is only showing 0.1mm. If I select rainfall on the map, my station disappears, despite the fact it is still raining and therefore registering a rainfall rate.
2016-06-29.png
2016-06-29 (1).png
2016-06-29 (2).png
My patience is wearing thin now..
I have sent your previous rainfall queries to our developers who are looking into it now and I shall send this as another example. I can confirm that in the data fields it is still showing as 4.8mm. the conversion to the website is changing this for some reason.

The automatic feed is coming into our Google Cloud and we are writing the proxy to push this into the new cloud platform now so we can see the rainfall and the minute data correctly on the website.
Many Thanks
Maria
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by RayProudfoot »

At least they're responding and things will improve.

Regarding your sig banner and today's rain it should automatically refresh when you post a message or visit this site. The fact it was stuck at 10:20 until I refreshed the page shows there is a problem with it. You'll notice the time in mine is current.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

Mapantz

Post by Mapantz »

RayProudfoot wrote:At least they're responding and things will improve.

Regarding your sig banner and today's rain it should automatically refresh when you post a message or visit this site. The fact it was stuck at 10:20 until I refreshed the page shows there is a problem with it. You'll notice the time in mine is current.
hmm - well I haven't touched anything other than the colours when I first used it.

Edit: I just downloaded it again, and renamed it banner1.php to test, and it does the same (until you refresh the page)
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

Your server is sending your banner with an expiry of one week, so browsers will cache it until a refresh is forced:

Cache-Control: public, max-age=604800
Expires: Wed, 06 Jul 2016 14:31:44 GMT
Steve
Mapantz

Post by Mapantz »

steve wrote:Your server is sending your banner with an expiry of one week, so browsers will cache it until a refresh is forced:

Cache-Control: public, max-age=604800
Expires: Wed, 06 Jul 2016 14:31:44 GMT
Thanks Steve.

I added this to .htaccess

Code: Select all

<FilesMatch "\.(html|htm|js|css|php)>
FileETag None
Header unset ETag
Header set Cache-Control "max-age=0, no-cache, no-store, must-revalidate"
Header set Pragma "no-cache"
Header set Expires "Wed, 11 Jan 1984 05:00:00 GMT"
</FilesMatch>
I think it has solved it?!
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

Yes, looks like it :)
Steve
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

I'm seeing a time of 13:52 on your banner when I'm sending this at 16:02. Is it just a refresh option I need then everything is okay?

LATER: Mine says this...

header('Cache-Control: no-cache, must-revalidate');
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

I continued my dialogue with the WOW team at the UKMO yesterday and asked why my Pressure is not shown when it is on a nearby site despite both being supplied by Cumulus. They're looking into it.

Here's mine. http://wow.metoffice.gov.uk/observation ... _id=182992

And here's Mark's in Wilmslow, both supplied by Cumulus. http://wow.metoffice.gov.uk/observation ... id=3334567

Any thoughts on that Steve as Mark and I are on different versions of Cumulus.

I expressed my surprise that so many bugs exist in the new version but was assured it was properly tested before release. Words fail me as to why they never picked up on so many things that don't work.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

Mapantz

Post by Mapantz »

RayProudfoot wrote:I continued my dialogue with the WOW team at the UKMO yesterday and asked why my Pressure is not shown when it is on a nearby site despite both being supplied by Cumulus. They're looking into it.

Here's mine. http://wow.metoffice.gov.uk/observation ... _id=182992

And here's Mark's in Wilmslow, both supplied by Cumulus. http://wow.metoffice.gov.uk/observation ... id=3334567

Any thoughts on that Steve as Mark and I are on different versions of Cumulus.

I expressed my surprise that so many bugs exist in the new version but was assured it was properly tested before release. Words fail me as to why they never picked up on so many things that don't work.
Have you checked the option on WoW, to show pressure at the station or at sea level? I remember I had this issue when I first started using it back in 2011, then I realised I needed to set it to pressure at the station.
Screenshot_20160630-104606.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

Thanks Mapantz. I checked mine and Winds were set to knots, not mph. Pressure was set to Mean Sea Level Pressure, not Station Pressure. I'm pretty certain Mark Crossley said we had to use MSLP otherwise the reading was not adjusted for altitude.

It doesn't seem to matter what option you choose for Pressure - MSLP or Station Height - it shows the same value. I'll need to keep an eye on that and report it.

But wind is still showing kn not mph. I'll give it a few minutes to update.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

This is absolutely ridiculous! :roll: If I select MSLP the pressure doesn't show at all.
WOW6.png
WOW7.png
Another email to WOW about to be sent. :(
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

Mapantz

Post by Mapantz »

How strange. I've only just noticed kts, my least favourite wind unit. :lol:
My pressure reading is OK though. I've just read back an email reply I got yesterday, saying that they're writing the code for the rainfall and readings for 1 minute increments. I thought.. Hang on! Writing it? It was working before, so why have they got the new site going if they haven't written some things for it? I could understand if they called this a beta. :bash:
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

Beta? It hardly qualifies as alpha! :cry: I'd be ashamed if I'd written that code.

What was wrong with the old site? It worked, was much faster and you could generate comparison graphs with other sites. None of that is possible with this new one. It's an absolute shambles.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

I have sent the following email to our kind contact at WOW...

Is there any possibility the original WOW site could be reinstated until this new version works as well as the old one? Assuming it will which I doubt.

I have many issues with it as you’re well aware. I appreciate the help you’ve given me but really this software is dreadful and should never have been released. I have listed the following problems..

Specifically…

1) No graphs can be generated from my own data.
2) No graphs can be generated comparing my site with other WOW sites.
3) Selecting MSLP in settings fails to display the pressure. Only Station Altitude option works.
4) Despite selecting mph for winds the speed continues to be displayed in kn (knots).
5) It’s much much slower than the old site
6) Login problems and failure to save login details meaning I have to enter them every time.
7) Secondary login screen seems unnecessary.
8) When showing weather data in table form dates are displayed in US format (mm-dd-yyyy), not British (dd-mm-yyyy). Ugghh!

I’m sorry but as it stands the site is a complete disaster and should never have been made available in its current form. Please ask those responsible to reinstate the old site and only release this one when it works better than the earlier version. I’m struggling to see any improvements whatsoever and fail to understand why it’s been released.

Thank you.

Am I alone in being baffled why this version was released? What improvements does it have over the old one?
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

And here is the reply from the Project Manager. Needless to say she's not impressed...

Unfortunately we cant roll back now, due to our partners connections working ok.

I did push for a rollback on Day 1 but the decision was to push forward.

I am aware of the issues and is unfortunate the issues you have listed are not working as they did work in the UAT test environment.

The reason for having to change the site was the backend of WOW was failing, so we needed to change the cloud platform and with that the front end as well.

I am just as upset and annoyed as you are that the site isn’t working and I am working closely with the developers to get these resolved as soon as possible.

Anyone else notice Favorite and US date formats? Looks like the UK Met Office have bought US software and not bothered customising it. :cry:
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.