Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

UPS for Raspberry PI

Talk about anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - PLEASE don't put Cumulus queries in here!
Graham64
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2
Operating System: Windows XP

UPS for Raspberry PI

Post by Graham64 »

Has anyone used a UPS with a Raspberry Pi when running CumulusMX?

The only thing I have found is the UPS PIco from PiModules at http://www.pimodulescart.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=17. This claims to give up to 2 hours of working for a PI and automatically switches back to the mains when that is restored. It seems to solve the problem of keeping CumulusMX going during a power outage if I'm away from home for a prolonged period.

Any thoughts/suggestions please?
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: UPS for Raspberry PI

Post by steve »

I have mine plugged into a 700VA UPS along with my router, but it's not a UPS specifically designed for a Pi. Since I switched from a PC server to the Pi we haven't had a power outage longer than a couple of hours, so I don't know how long it will keep it going - quite some time, I expect.

Our desktop PCs are connected to a separate, more powerful UPS, but that's just intended to keep us going for 20 minutes or so, so we can close down cleanly.
Steve
Graham64
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2
Operating System: Windows XP

Post by Graham64 »

Steve
Thanks for the information. I really need something that will allow the Pi and therefore CumulusMX to keep going during an outage and not need restarting when the mains are re-connected.
We are visiting family in Australia after Christmas and I don't want to miss any data whilst I'm away for a few weeks.
The UPS PIco looks OK but I'm a bit out of my comfort zone with some of the instructions they give for setting it up with a Pi.
I think I'll get one and try it.
philcdav
Weather Station: MyDEL WX2008 Mk2 Fine Offset
Operating System: XP and W7

Post by philcdav »

A 6V motorcycle battery would make a great UPS.

Kept 'trickle charged' it will supply 5+ hours at 1A and cost < £20
Phil - G0DOR
jarom
Weather Station: WH 1080
Operating System: Raspbian + Raspberry pi 2

Post by jarom »

I'm using ordinary powerbank for cellular phones. Successfully.
ZeroID
Weather Station: Tesa WS1081
Operating System: Win7 Pro 64

Post by ZeroID »

Graham64 wrote:Steve
Thanks for the information. I really need something that will allow the Pi and therefore CumulusMX to keep going during an outage and not need restarting when the mains are re-connected.
We are visiting family in Australia after Christmas and I don't want to miss any data whilst I'm away for a few weeks.
The UPS PIco looks OK but I'm a bit out of my comfort zone with some of the instructions they give for setting it up with a Pi.
I think I'll get one and try it.
Any normal reputable UPS will keep it supplied. The power switch over is all handled by the UPS, that's its job.. The Pi should see nothing, just power up to the point where the battery runs out if the outage is too long. When outage ends it puts the Pi back online and starts recharging to be ready for next time.
PI power draw would be minimal I'd think, a 500, 700 or 1000 would give it quite a few hours of runtime. (Divide the Pi watts into the UPS watts for a very rough estimate )
(My wife sells these things up to half a megawatt or more, BIG ones. And desktop 500-1000 watt units,)
If you want a good one buy Eaton or APC, the Chinese knock-offs have poor sine wave generational, ( low frequency stepping ) and slow switch over. Also somewhat unreliable. Preferably buy a line interactive, it will step in for minor fluctuations as well, very efficient.
I'd get my wife to sell you a good one (Eaton) but you're on the other side of the world.