Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

WH-1081 hardware question (newbie)

Talk about anything that doesn't fit elsewhere - PLEASE don't put Cumulus queries in here!
windsurf
Weather Station: WH-1081
Operating System: Mac OS

WH-1081 hardware question (newbie)

Post by windsurf »

Hi,

Newbie here... I'm about to install a WH-1081 and I was wondering if it was a bad idea to have the anemometer and wind direction sensor mounted so close and on the same plane horizontally?

I'm thinking that the wind turbulence crated by either one of them may affect the other resulting in inaccurate measurement of either wind speed or direction.

I'm thinking that maybe installing one of them upside down or on a separately constructed extension arm may solve the problem (if it exists in the first place) but would be interested in anyone's opinion who has real life experience with this.
TideMan
Weather Station: Fine Offset
Operating System: Ubuntu

Re: WH-1081 hardware question (newbie)

Post by TideMan »

I think the turbulence from the instruments is small compared to the turbulence from surrounding structures (buildings, trees, etc) and of course the ground itself. Indeed, unless you have your instrument 10 m above the ground as MetService anemometers are, the wind you measure will be in the boundary layer.
Ned
Weather Station: WS2083 (aspirated)
Operating System: Win 10

Post by Ned »

Mounting either wind instrument upside down would be fatal - they are designed to exclude rain from the bearing, not to collect it for its immersion
windsurf

Post by windsurf »

Thanks for both comments - I guess I won't worry about it then. I will mount the sensors on top of a 5m pole in an open area. I will mount all sensors as originally intended.

Hm, I just realized that in the area I want mount the sensors, there is a tree on one side, only a few meters away - I guess that would affect the wind measurement, since the tree would shield the sensors from wind from that direction, correct? May have to find another mounting location...

I read in another thread that the rain sensor shouldn't be installed as pictured in the manual (too high on the pole), but lower, providing as much stability as possible in order to prevent false readings caused by physical movement of the sensor. Someone mentioned measuring "5 inches of rain" on a completely dry day, caused by wind gusts that tilted the sensor...
beteljuice
Weather Station: None !
Operating System: W10 - Threadripper 16core, etc

Post by beteljuice »

Hm, I just realized that in the area I want mount the sensors, there is a tree on one side, only a few meters away - I guess that would affect the wind measurement, ...
.. just a bit !!!
I read in another thread that the rain sensor shouldn't be installed as pictured in the manual (too high on the pole), but lower, providing as much stability as possible in order to prevent false readings ...
Ideally fixed to a level surface 60cm or so above the ground (To stop 'splatter') and shielded from the wind.

So yes ... all these pole mounted jobbies are totally wrong - no matter how much they cost :lol:
......................Imagine, what you will KNOW tomorrow !
windsurf

Post by windsurf »

Cool - thanks for the advice. I'll install it that way to have it less wrong :-)