Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Using Eee Pc using Intel Atom running Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

General news concerning announcements of new releases, forum outages etc.
menheniotmet
Weather Station: VP2
Operating System: Linux

Using Eee Pc using Intel Atom running Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Post by menheniotmet »

I have decided to try and use an Eee PC to free up my main machine and have so far loaded CumulusMX and have the program running, but after much head scratching I am still unable to connect my VP2 to the Eee using a serial to USB dongle, I have set up the software on the Eee and it can see the dongle, it is enabled, however the CMX program reports at start up "cannot find the Station" the serial to usb is "Qinheng electronics HL340 adaptor" it seems to be working.
I have now spent a lot of time trying to discover what I may have or have not done. I am now going round in ever decreasing circles. Please if any one has any ideas I would be very pleased. I thought I was ok with Linux but am now doubting my own ability!!! :groan:
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Using Eee Pc using Intel Atom running Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

Post by steve »

I think I had problems with my Pi when I tried to use a serial/USB adapter with a serial weatherlink. When I switched to a USB adapter, Linux automatically created the virtual serial port, I configured MX, and it worked.

Presumably you can see the VSP being created, and you've put the correct device name into Cumulus, but it can't open the port? Does the diags file show an error messages other than "Not connected"?
Steve
menheniotmet

Post by menheniotmet »

steve wrote:I think I had problems with my Pi when I tried to use a serial/USB adapter with a serial weatherlink. When I switched to a USB adapter, Linux automatically created the virtual serial port, I configured MX, and it worked.

Presumably you can see the VSP being created, and you've put the correct device name into Cumulus, but it can't open the port? Does the diags file show an error messages other than "Not connected"?

I think I have now resolved the problem the HL340 does not use the 1203 chip set and I think I have a software conflict. I seem to remember have this problem with the Eee when using it for some Radio related software some while ago. When I can find my other USB to serial cable, I will let you know.

Just resolved the problem of HL340. on startup the program now tells me it is reading data from the VP2 but when I go to the Dashboard I have no information showing. So now investigating that!!!
menheniotmet

Post by menheniotmet »

Report back on the Eee Pc saga, I now have CumulusMX up and running on the Eee using wifi so only connections are from the VP2 to the serial to USB adapter.
The problem was the adaptor, although I was able to configure Ubuntu 10.04LTS to recognise the adapter I had it would not talk to the Eee. Once I changed to an adapter using 1203 chipset without changing any settings except tell Linux the new adapter location using "sudo modprobe usbserial vendor=0x???? product=0x???? and after finding the info with lsusb followed by a reboot All is well and the system is running full screen.
I now need to discover why I cannot get MX to work on the RPi 2 !