Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Server Generated Graphs for MX

From build 3044 the development baton passed to Mark Crossley. Mark has been responsible for all the Builds since. He has made the code available on GitHub. It is Mark's hope that others will join in this development, but at the very least he welcomes your ideas for future developments (see Cumulus MX Development suggestions).

Moderator: mcrossley

mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: Server Generated Graphs for MX

Post by mcrossley »

Very odd, it does look like the web server is doing something odd to the data. As you say, jpgraphs seems to be generating the image correctly, but what the web server is sending out can not be interpreted as an image by the browser. No ideas really!
mwittl
Weather Station: Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by mwittl »

What happens if you don't use the JPGraph Cache but instead let each request generate the graph? Have you tried that? I don't even bother with the cache...unless you have thousands of hits/hr on your site, pretty much any web service provider can handle the php load.

- Mark Wittl
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

After looking at Steve's web site today, I have made a small change to the wind direction graph - it now plots the average direction on top of the instant direction. I made this change to the copy on my web server some time ago and forgot to include it in the distribution. Only the graphWdir.php files have changed.
UncleBuck
Weather Station: Davis VP2+
Operating System: MAC Mini - OSX El Capitan

Post by UncleBuck »

Well I finally managed to get most things working.
I had to resort to moving the jpgraph folder out of the site-utils folder and putting all the jpgraph files into a SRC folder under that.

Now the only remaining problem seems to be that the fonts are not being recognised for the windrose static graph on the trends page at http://www.pcweather.kcsolutions.com.au/wxtrends.php
They are WAY to small to read.

Any ideas on that one?

Colin.
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Probably missing fonts - I had to add arial.ttf and verdana.ttf to the jpgraphs/fonts folder to get the Wind Rose working.
(A bit further up the thread)
UncleBuck

Post by UncleBuck »

So I have noticed a couple of other problems that I need some advice with.....

My wind graph (http://www.pcweather.kcsolutions.com.au/images/wind.png) does not show any units in the title. Looking at the original "graphwind.php" file it showed the line

Code: Select all

$graph->title->Set('Wind (' . $GRAPH['uom']['wind']. ')');
whereas all the other files where units were being passed were using this

$graph->title->Set('Barograph (' . $data['units']. ')');
so I changed it to read

$graph->title->Set('Wind (' . $GRAPH['units']. ')');
the php log (before the change) was showing "Undefined index: uom in .........." and now it shows an error "Undefined index: units in ............." so obviously this did not resolve the issue.
Question: Is it possible that the problem is caused by using the units km/h?

Next problem.....
Both temp graphs show an extra character in the title (see http://www.pcweather.kcsolutions.com.au/images/temp.png) which is not in the actual php file

$graph->title->Set('Temperature (°' . $data['units']. ')');
That one I have no idea on why it would do that as it appears before the degree symbol.

Any ideas.... anyone?

Col.
UncleBuck

Post by UncleBuck »

mcrossley wrote:Probably missing fonts - I had to add arial.ttf and verdana.ttf to the jpgraphs/fonts folder to get the Wind Rose working.
(A bit further up the thread)
Sorry, nope, not that.... I have confirmed that are both there.
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

UncleBuck wrote:So I have noticed a couple of other problems that I need some advice with.....

My wind graph (http://www.pcweather.kcsolutions.com.au/images/wind.png) does not show any units in the title. Looking at the original "graphwind.php" file it showed the line

$graph->title->Set('Wind (' . $GRAPH['uom']['wind']. ')');
whereas all the other files where units were being passed were using this

$graph->title->Set('Barograph (' . $data['units']. ')');
so I changed it to read

$graph->title->Set('Wind (' . $GRAPH['units']. ')');
the php log (before the change) was showing "Undefined index: uom in .........." and now it shows an error "Undefined index: units in ............." so obviously this did not resolve the issue.
Question: Is it possible that the problem is caused by using the units km/h?
it should read $data['units'] - I'll change the source code...
UncleBuck wrote:Next problem.....
Both temp graphs show an extra character in the title (see http://www.pcweather.kcsolutions.com.au/images/temp.png) which is not in the actual php file

$graph->title->Set('Temperature (°' . $data['units']. ')');
That one I have no idea on why it would do that as it appears before the degree symbol.

Any ideas.... anyone?

Col.
If you have edited the file, did you save it as UTF-8 (without MOB)?
UncleBuck

Post by UncleBuck »

It was showing the weird character before I modified the code. So I don't think that was the issue.
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Your solar graph has the same problem, it too has an extended character in it - try sending the files to the web server again, but force your client to send them as binary, it may be sending them as 'text files' and helpfully changing the encoding for you.
UncleBuck

Post by UncleBuck »

I host my own server on a Mac mini so all files are edited locally and just copied via the OS. No ftp involved.
f4phlyer
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2
Operating System: RaspBerry Pi Win 10 OSx

Post by f4phlyer »

Enough thanks can't be piled upon all the contributors, especially Steve and Mark. Lately I've been putting a lot of time into redoing my site. Cumulus MX, Raspberry Pi, MySql database and server generated graphs have been the impetus.

I've had to rely on others to lead me to solutions for most of of my problems but I think I might have a minor and insignificant contribution.

I had been having problems with the wind rose graph not creating a "png" image in the cache. Discovered that the line in the PHP file
$graph = new WindroseGraph(400,400); should b $graph = new WindroseGraph(400,400,auto,1); it needs , width, height, name, time.

Without a time value jpgraphs won't save an image in the cache.
retreat at augusta pines weather
CumulusMX on Raspberry π rPi5
http://augusta-pines-weather.com / CumulusMX 4.0.0 build:4017
WeatherUnderground KTXSPRIN538
UncleBuck

Post by UncleBuck »

Finally manage to figure it out.
When I made that last post, I thought about the fact that the standard Mac install of Apache and PHP is not like a standard web server one.
After doing a bit of digging, it works out that TTF support is NOT part of the standard install that they supply.
After transferring all the files over to a hosted website, it all came good and is working fine.

Thanks for everyones efforts on this and I really apologise for the fact that I should have dug a bit further before asking all those questions.

Regards,
Col.
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

f4phlyer wrote:Enough thanks can't be piled upon all the contributors, especially Steve and Mark. Lately I've been putting a lot of time into redoing my site. Cumulus MX, Raspberry Pi, MySql database and server generated graphs have been the impetus.

I've had to rely on others to lead me to solutions for most of of my problems but I think I might have a minor and insignificant contribution.

I had been having problems with the wind rose graph not creating a "png" image in the cache. Discovered that the line in the PHP file
$graph = new WindroseGraph(400,400); should b $graph = new WindroseGraph(400,400,auto,1); it needs , width, height, name, time.

Without a time value jpgraphs won't save an image in the cache.
Ah, yes thanks, looking more closely at the WindRose script (a later contribution) I see there are a number of improvements that I can make. I'll update the source code...
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

OK, a new version of the Windrose scripts is now available (and associated graphSettings.php).

Most windrose settings moved to graphSettings.php
Windrose can now be configured for 8 or 16 compass points
Windows compass point now localised
Wind speed unit put into the title
Image caching enabled

I think it all works, but I'll expect I hear if it doesn't!