Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Pole diameter for Davis Vantage Vue

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Re: Pole diameter for Davis Vantage Vue

Post by RayProudfoot »

Grimers wrote:To add to this, the optimum siting for a Vue is around 6 m as that is in between 2 m and 10 m.
But that would compromise wind, rain and temp measurements as well as being hard to access.

At 2m the station is easily accessible and temp readings would be accurate, rain slightly compromised and wind heavily compromised.

At 10m it's not easily accessible, temps and rain are highly compromised and wind okay.

It's worth remembering that a separate anemometer and transmitter can be added to the Vue. Expensive but that makes it closer to a VP2 and you can get more accurate temp, rain and wind readings.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

dionaea
Weather Station: WH1080 / Watson8681

Post by dionaea »

Nothing is ever straightforward is it?
It arrived this afternoon. Set it up in the house to make sure everything works & it seems fine except that the indoor & outdoor temp. & humidity settings do not agree although the two units are sitting only a foot apart on my desk - this is after a few hours! Indoor T 25 C & H 55% - Outdoor 23 C & H 62%. My max/ min. Thermometer shows 23.6C . Is this another case for compromise? Problem is, which way do I go?

Cheers,
Chris
prodata
Weather Station: VP2
Operating System: Windows - all flavours

Post by prodata »

In practice that's not a good test. The inside temp sensor is inside the console case of course and so can only equilibrate slowly to ambient temperature (which it will never do anyway if the room temperature is changing). And even the ISS needs moving air to equilibrate at any reasonable rate.

If you put both into a constant temperature enclosure with circulating air then they'll likely get pretty close (or at least within specification, which is approx ±0.5°C each so there could be up to 1°C difference and still be within spec, but usually they get closer than that after a few hours of this more rigorous test).

Once the ISS gets into the outside air with at least a little breeze most of the time it should perform to within spec.
John Dann
Prodata Weather Systems
Littleport, East Cambs, UK
http://www.weatherstations.co.uk
dionaea
Weather Station: WH1080 / Watson8681

Post by dionaea »

Thanks John,
So would you just go ahead & set it up tomorrow?
Cheers,
Chris
Grimers
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 11 64-bit

Post by Grimers »

prodata wrote:
Grimers wrote:To add to this, the optimum siting for a Vue is around 6 m...
Well, sorry, but no. The whole point of my post is that there isn't one single optimum height - it depends on the site and the user's preferences.

If 6m works for you then that's great - I'm sure that it measures wind speeds well. But for many users 6m will be too high - I can't imagine that it makes for easy access to the ISS unless you have a cherrypicker or a pole that's easily demounted. Most Vue units that I'm aware of are mounted at a height of 2-3m, but it will vary according to personal preferences etc.
Yes, unfortunately it's not very easily accessible, we have to remove all the guy wires and then simply pull the pole out of the tripod and then slowly rest it on the ground. It doesn't take long to do but it can be pretty hairy! :lol:
Red Raspberry
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2
Operating System: Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

Post by Red Raspberry »

I mounted my 1" pole on a 14' 4x4. Cut the 4x4 in two and mounted a hinge. The hinge is 3' from the ground. Then use a metal pipe on the opposite side that is clamped in place to keep it upright.

Just remove the pipe and lower the station down.

I have the station so high to clear the corn.
Super-T
Weather Station: wh-1081
Operating System: Weather Laptop - Windows 10 Pro

Post by Super-T »

How do you find the house amongst the corn? :-)
duke

Post by duke »

Super-T wrote:How do you find the house amongst the corn? :-)
Simple -
1/ The house usually has the lights on.
2/ 'RTFM'!