Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Temp/hum sensor failing again

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Temp/hum sensor failing again

Post by steve »

My VP2 temp/hum sensor is failing again (sporadic high temps, humidity too low). This one has lasted three years, so that's an improvement on the previous ones, which typically lasted between 9 and 18 months.

I'm wondering what my options are for replacing it at less cost than the official part - I believe some of you have used third-party replacement boards, or repaired it using replacement chips? Any good suggestions? I'm semi-retired now, so I have to make savings where I can ;)
Steve
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: Temp/hum sensor failing again

Post by mcrossley »

I replaced mine with a SHT-75 mini board. It is a direct wire-wire replacement for the Davis board - though you have to solder it on. I then encased to solder joints and mini-board (apart from the sensor chip itself) in epoxy. It is very small and the existing wire clip is fine for holding it place. To protect the sensor I placed mine in a tiny 'bag' made from some of my daughters old tights!

For you I think the key thing is finding a suitable enclosure for the sensor to keep the salt out. The Davis sensor enclosure on their boards is useless for this, it is just a wire mesh. The Sensirion supplied cover is of a permeable membrane type (think Goretex type stuff) - far superior.

I think Belfryboy offers a board with the Sensirion sensor cover, but I could be wrong.
Last edited by mcrossley on Fri 04 Sep 2015 9:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

Thanks, Mark. I'm happy to do soldering, but I think maybe I'll investigate Belfryboy's ready-built solution, if he's still doing them.
Steve
AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by AllyCat »

Hi,
mcrossley wrote:The Sensiorion supplied cover is of a permeable membrane type (think Goretex type stuff) - far superior.
Is that supplied with a "real" SHT-75 sensor or an "optional extra" - I can't find any reference to it?

FWIW, the "best price" I've found (in a brief Google) for a Sensirion SHT-75 from a "well-known" supplier is £23.60 from CPC-Farnell plus VAT, but shipping should be free (Royal Mail) even to the Northen Isles? RS and even the main Farnell site seem somewhat more expensive.

Cheers, Alan.
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

The Sensirion covers are made for the SHT1x sensors http://www.sensirion.com/en/products/hu ... for-sht1x/

You are on your own for the SHT7x boards.

That seems like a reasonable price.

I see they are releasing a SHT3x series, wonder what the pricing on those will be like, and how compatible with the ISS they will be - they are dual I2C and voltage outputs.
AllyCat
Weather Station: Fine Offset 1080/1 & 3080
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by AllyCat »

Hi,

Thanks, that's very interesting. The covers seem surprisingly cheap (for the application), less than £3 from ebay.co.uk , a little over from CPC and significantly less from RS, etc..

Cheers, Alan.
duke

Post by duke »

steve wrote:.....but I think maybe I'll investigate Belfryboy's ready-built solution, if he's still doing them.
Had mine for over a year now without problem.