Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Cumulus fails to start after upgrade to Windows 10

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
Paragon
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 7 hOME PREmium

Post by Paragon »

I upgraded to Windows 10 this morning. Cumulus started and immediately came up with an error message. The bug report is attached.

I have tried several times to start Cumulus but only two messages are in the bug report. The first report says the problem is
"exception class : EAccessViolation
exception message : Access violation at address 12C80000. Read of address 12C80000."

The second error report says it is
"exception class : EVariantTypeCastError
exception message : Could not convert variant of type (UnicodeString) into type (Date)."

I am about to start looking around Win10 to see if permissions or something have changed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Cumulus fails to start after upgrade to Windows 10

Post by steve »

The first error is an old one so not relevant to the upgrade (note the date and time). The second error is the one caused by the upgrade, see several other recent posts in the forum about this. The upgrade has changed your system regional settings, in particular your date and time formats (but you should check all of them), such that Windows 10 does not recognise the dates and/or times which were written by your previous version of Windows.
Steve
Paragon

Post by Paragon »

Thanks very much for your reply Steve.

I have looked at the settings and changed them back, but Cumulus still gives the same error. I'll restart the computer and try again.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Look at the 'Timestamp' near the start of today.ini and make sure your system settings correspond. Pay particular attention to the am/pm indicator, if your setting uses that. Cumulus prints the date and time formats near the start of each diags file, so you can compare what it is showing now with what it was showing before (assuming you still have diags files from before the upgrade).
Steve
Paragon

Post by Paragon »

Thanks Steve. You were right: the list separator was a semicolon. It is now a comma.

I believed I have set the time formats correctly and was still getting the same error.

So looking more closely, I see it has changed the AM setting from a.m. to AM, similarly for PM. Fixed that just now and it works! Yay! This is hidden several layers deep in the settings.

Thanks very much for your help and very sorry I didn't read your notice first and give it the thought it should have had.

BTW, in the course of this, Windows has become unresponsive three times. Windows 7 is still hidden inside there with other (sometimes several) ways into the settings screens.

Thanks again.
Graham
Dennz
Weather Station: Fine Offset
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by Dennz »

Hi

I have the same problem but cannot find how I can change the time format to a.m./p.m. Can you point to the obscure place that the setting is located please?

Found & corrected the ; list separator problem.

Super-T
Weather Station: wh-1081
Operating System: Weather Laptop - Windows 10 Pro

Post by Super-T »

I'm having the same sort of problems. Got the flu at present so not a good time to update to W10, brain is foggy.
I have changed the settings as recommended, W10 did get it wrong, and Cumulus is still crashing at startup.
I did notice when changing the ; to , that if I clicked "Apply" then the comma would not stick. I had to change to the comma and then say "OK"

I also loaded an historic set of data from backups.

Files attached.

Any help appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Super-T

Post by Super-T »

I haven't been able to fix this problem yet. Is there any way of tracking down where the actual problem is?
I have gone through what other people have done but Cumulus crashes on startup. I have searched for ;. Changed from AM to am. Got the right formats etc.
I may have to go back to Windows 7 before I start to lose data.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

From the files in your previous post, the problem is that Windows cannot recognise this line in today.ini as a valid date and time:

Timestamp=19/08/2015 9:18:00 p.m.

From your screenshot, it looks like it is expecting just "pm" as the am/pm indicator.
Steve
gluepack
Weather Station: PCE-FWS 20
Operating System: Win 7 Pro

Post by gluepack »

Intriguing.
I haven't changed the Cumulus system to Win 10 yet but looking at the system of mine that has changed, the only option I have is AM/PM or blank i.e. no am/pm nor a.m./p.m.
Doesn't matter to me as my ini shows 24 hr format.

Your control panel settings show am/pm as opposed to a.m./p.m. so perhaps that is the problem.

Are the alternatives based on some other system setting?

Lol! Steve has already responded.

PWS links: WundergroundIVARNAPR3CWOP/APRSE(W)2048PWSWeatherZLATINABGAwekas10631Twitter@Zlatina_weather
Station type: PCE-FWS 20…Webcam link: View south to edge of Provadisko plateau
Super-T

Post by Super-T »

Thats interesting Steve.

That date was before I changed over to W10 and all was OK then.

I put the full stops an and it now works :-)

The reason I set with no stops was because the default was AM/PM so I set it to am/pm....WRONG :-)

Thanks for the help.....a great relief and something learned.
peterpeart
Weather Station: Aercus
Operating System: windows 10

Post by peterpeart »

I am also having trouble starting after installing windows 10. I cannot access Cumulus due to the bug report error message.
See attached report.
I have tried changing time date formats in windows, but have had no luck.

:P I have dug to the bottom of the settings and found where to put the missing fullstops. All good now . Thanks
Last edited by peterpeart on Mon 12 Oct 2015 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Do your am/pm symbols in Windows match exactly the am/pm symbol in the today.ini file, as described above? Windows 10 is apparently changing those for NZ locales from "a.m." and "p.m." to "am" and "pm". It then doesn't understand the versions with the full stops in.
Steve