Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Fine Offset + Linux Mint

Topics about the Beta trials up to Build 3043, the last build by Cumulus's founder Steve Loft. It was by this time way out of Beta but Steve wanted to keep it that way until he made a decision on his and Cumulus's future.

Moderator: mcrossley

Buford T. Justice
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1002
Operating System: Windows 11 Pro

Re: Fine Offset + Linux Mint

Post by Buford T. Justice »

steve wrote:I understand perfectly well that there is an issue. Please tell me what I can do about it.
I do not use the Chrome web browser, but from what I have read it had a similar issue wanting libudev.so.0 when the system instead used libudev.so.1. I think the fix was Chrome updated its installer to look for libudev.so.0 and, if it didn't find it, it created the libudev.so.0 link file to libudev.so.1.3.5 but it created the link within its own Chrome directory for safety instead of putting it in the Linux /lib folder. Could Cumulus MX do something like that where when it is first ran, it verifies libudev.so.0 exists and, if it doesn't, it creates a libudev.so.0 link within the Cumulus MX folder and works?

http://askubuntu.com/questions/369310/h ... tart-again
At least for Chrome versions form 28 to 37, the Chrome binary can use whichever of libudev.so.0 or libudev.so.1 is present on the system. With the fix to Chromium/Chrome Issue 226002 (which went into the unstable channel in April 2013), the installer determines which one to use. The binary references libudev.so.0; the installer creates a symbolic link from /opt/google/chrome/libudev.so.0 to the libudev.so.1 on the system if libudev.so.0 is not found.

Note that it would be a bad idea to create one in /usr/lib. Major version numbers in libraries change when the newer version is incompatible. Creating this symbolic link works well for Chrome because it only uses features that are compatible between version 0 and version 1. Other applications might crash or produce corrupt data if you force them to run with the wrong version.

The method used by the Chrome package works well under most circumstances, but it's still a dirty hack, and it has a limitation. If the libudev0 package is uninstalled after Chrome is installed, which is likely to happen when you upgrade Ubuntu, then Chrome will still be set up to use libudev.so.0 but the file won't be available anymore. To fix this, cause the installation script to run again, and this time detect that libudev.so.0 is not available so it should create the symbolic link to use libudev.so.1 instead. You can re-run the installation script by running dpkg-reconfigure google-chrome-stable as root.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

I'm confused now. Creating the link is bad, but you are proposing that the solution is that MX creates the link? How is that different from you creating the link yourself?

I am reluctant to have code in Cumulus which does things to the system - this has always been the case. This is a 'defensive' strategy to avoid increasing the already large amount of time I spend on support. And in MX I want to keep the amount of platform-specific code to a minimum, as otherwise I end up effectively having multiple versions of the program, avoiding which was the whole point of choosing .net/mono in the first place.
Steve
Buford T. Justice

Having the link file in the /lib folder is not wise according to these warnings. Having it in a program's folder appears to be fine as long as the program supports having it there like Chrome did.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

That seems reasonable to me. Have you tried it?
Steve
Buford T. Justice

Re: Fine Offset + Linux Mint & Ubuntu Derivatives

2021 EDIT: This may no longer be needed for most modern GNU/Linux versions. Ubuntu 20.04 versions work without doing this...

It works there! I figured Cumulus MX would have to have some sort of built-in support for doing that. See steve, you are a Linux programmer, lol!

OK everyone who has read to this point. If you are using a Linux distro which does not have libudev.so.0 here is what to do (using Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS as the example):

64-bit
1) Open the /lib folder as administrator by right-clicking on it.
2) Open the /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu folder.
3) Right-click on libudev.so.1.3.5 then left-click on MAKE LINK. This will make a file called Link to libudev.so.1.3.5.
4) Right-click on Link to libudev.so.1.3.5 and then left-click on CUT. DO NOT COPY BUT CUT!
5) Browse to the Cumulus MX folder where CumulusMX.exe is.
6) Paste Link to libudev.so.1.3.5 there.
7) Right-click on Link to libudev.so.1.3.5 and then left-click on RENAME.
8) Change the name to libudev.so.0
9) Open Cumulus MX with Mono and it should work fine.

32-bit
1) Open the /lib folder as administrator by right-clicking on it.
2) Open the /lib/i386-linux-gnu folder.
3) Right-click on libudev.so.1.3.5 then left-click on MAKE LINK. This will make a file called Link to libudev.so.1.3.5.
4) Right-click on Link to libudev.so.1.3.5 and then left-click on CUT. DO NOT COPY BUT CUT!
5) Browse to the Cumulus MX folder where CumulusMX.exe is.
6) Paste Link to libudev.so.1.3.5 there.
7) Right-click on Link to libudev.so.1.3.5 and then left-click on RENAME.
8) Change the name to libudev.so.0
9) Open Cumulus MX with Mono and it should work fine.

FOR YOUR SAFETY
If you did the earlier libudev.so.0 fix by creating the link in /lib, check both /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu AND /lib/i386-linux-gnu and delete libudev.so.0 if you created it to make Cumulus MX work.
Last edited by Buford T. Justice on Mon 13 Sep 2021 8:00 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Buford T. Justice

Re: Fine Offset + Linux Mint & Other Ubuntu Versions

https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... 08#p101008
On Linux you will need library libudev.so.0 which may not be installed by default. Installing package libudev0 may resolve this. There may be issues if you are using a 64-bit version of Linux. I'm not sure what the resolution is at the moment, if this is the case.
It might be worth using the fix I came up with though 32-bit probably has the same problem especially Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS and newer.

https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... 13#p107913