Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.5 (build 3282) - 23 February 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

LOW BATTERY TRANSMITTER 1?

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
William Grimsley
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Re: LOW BATTERY TRANSMITTER 1?

Post by William Grimsley »

RayProudfoot wrote:
William Grimsley wrote:Either Cheadle Hulme is very sunny or you're just lucky because as mermaidbeachweather said, he has replaced his Davis Vantage Vue battery 3 times in 4 years! Not a year. More like 1 1/2 years.
I can assure you William that Cheadle Hulme isn't sunnier than where you are. I'm near Manchester making it impossible! ;)

I have the VP2 and you and Mermaid Beach have the Vue. That's the difference.
Oh right ok. Oh yeh! :lol:

Right ok. Yes.
William Grimsley

moe3 wrote:Console f/w v2.14 was supposed to take care of those 'low battery' warnings, maybe you just plain out have to change the battery....and make sure you follow the directions in the Vue manual.
Ok thanks for that. Ok, I have done this before so I just take out the old battery and put the new one in and then press a button on the bottom of the ISS, to see if it's got a signal. :D
William Grimsley

prodata wrote:
William Grimsley wrote:My Davis Vantage Vue, was set up on 20/07/2011. Does this mean that is an new model or an old model?
There have been a number of revisions to the Vue since it first came out, starting with Rev A (surprise, surprise) and currently on Rev MD, last time I looked. If you have a single letter at the start of the Mfg Code then that will be the Rev level. If you have two letters (which happened as from Rev MA) then that's the Rev level.

(This rather disguises when more major changes were made. Davis regard anything from from Rev A to Rev F (I think it was, but don't quote me) as v1.00. Rev G was v1.05 (about May 2012), which made some important internal modifications to the Vue ISS. And then there was a jump to Rev MA which was v1.10 (about Dec 2012).

Then, separately from the hardware revision, there's the console firmware revision level. You can update the firmware yourself (with care!) via a download from the Davis site. v2.14 contained the change to the low ISS battery warning. The current revision level is v3.00 for the Vue. NB I don't recommend updating the firmware unless there's a real need to do so - there is a real risk of things going wrong or not behaving as you expect.
Ok thanks. :D
William Grimsley

UPDATE: A new battery has now been successfully installed into my Davis Vantage Vue weather station. :D
tomcatuk
Weather Station: ----> Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 10 20H2 19042.685

Post by tomcatuk »

Ok now?
Regards Steve
William Grimsley

tomcatuk wrote:Ok now?
Yes. :D
Mapantz
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 11 x64

Post by Mapantz »

William Grimsley wrote:Hi there,

I've just come home and found that my Davis Vantage Vue weather station is displaying the message 'LOW BATTERY TRANSMITTER 1'. It's been very warm and sunny today, so I'm surprised that this message has come up. This message has come up before but I can't remember how long it takes for the battery to run out and if it isn't a very long time till it runs out, do I need to get a new battery fast? Or, can I wait a few days before I need to get a new battery?

Thanks in advance,

William
Mine has just started doing it again! It doesn't do it through Winter.
It was cloudy yesterday and it was ok, the sun is back today and it has started again.

PS: It's been running almost two years, i got the message a few days after installing it. I did test the battery last year and it was fine, i've also upgraded to the latest firmware but it still happens. It does piss me off if i'm honest, so i've emailed Davis just this minute telling them i want a fix.
William Grimsley

Mapantz wrote:
William Grimsley wrote:Hi there,

I've just come home and found that my Davis Vantage Vue weather station is displaying the message 'LOW BATTERY TRANSMITTER 1'. It's been very warm and sunny today, so I'm surprised that this message has come up. This message has come up before but I can't remember how long it takes for the battery to run out and if it isn't a very long time till it runs out, do I need to get a new battery fast? Or, can I wait a few days before I need to get a new battery?

Thanks in advance,

William
Mine has just started doing it again! It doesn't do it through Winter.
It was cloudy yesterday and it was ok, the sun is back today and it has started again.

PS: It's been running almost two years, i got the message a few days after installing it. I did test the battery last year and it was fine, i've also upgraded to the latest firmware but it still happens. It does piss me off if i'm honest, so i've emailed Davis just this minute telling them i want a fix.
Hi mapantz,

I think you should just get a new battery. That's what your Davis Vantage Vue weather station needs. Saves the fuss.

Hope this helps...

William
prodata
Weather Station: VP2
Operating System: Windows - all flavours

Post by prodata »

Mapantz wrote:PS: It's been running almost two years
At some point soon, it genuinely is going to need a new battery - they don't last forever. After two UK winters is probably the time when the battery will be substantially depleted.
John Dann
Prodata Weather Systems
Littleport, East Cambs, UK
http://www.weatherstations.co.uk
William Grimsley

prodata wrote:
At some point soon, it genuinely is going to need a new battery - they don't last forever. After two UK winters is probably the time when the battery will be substantially depleted.
Exactly.
Mapantz

Post by Mapantz »

prodata wrote:
The battery was tested less than a month ago when i took the station down for a clean up, it's still registering full.
prodata

Post by prodata »

Mapantz wrote:The battery was tested less than a month ago when i took the station down for a clean up, it's still registering full.
What do you mean 'full'? What's the voltage - that's the only way of telling for sure with a CR123.
John Dann
Prodata Weather Systems
Mapantz

Post by Mapantz »

prodata wrote:
Mapantz wrote:The battery was tested less than a month ago when i took the station down for a clean up, it's still registering full.
What do you mean 'full'? What's the voltage - that's the only way of telling for sure with a CR123.

No it's not, i have a battery tester, it tests many battery sizes, including 9v P3 ones, You put the battery in place, like you would with any AA, AAA C, D etc .. and move the slider down to complete the circuit, it says full!
And please, don't reply with messages saying that it's not 'accurate' - it is accurate, it has been a very handy tool to me for many years. :)

As a sidenote, in an old email i had from Davis in the past, they said the battery should be good enough for twelve months without any sunlight at all, and i think it's safe to say, that's a rare occurance.
prodata

Post by prodata »

Mapantz wrote:No it's not...
<shrugs>
As a sidenote, in an old email i had from Davis in the past, they said the battery should be good enough for twelve months without any sunlight at all, and i think it's safe to say, that's a rare occurance.
That's true (actually 8-9 months is closer to the mark, but I'm not going to quibble) but they genuinely do run out after 18 months plus. Sometimes users get 2 or even 3 years out of them, but 2 years is closer to the mark on average. It's really the number of winters that counts, less so the summers of course. But supercap age is also a significant factor.

Maybe your battery is still OK and it's just another random spurious low battery warning, but I wouldn't bet on it.
John Dann
Prodata Weather Systems
William Grimsley

prodata wrote:they genuinely do run out after 18 months plus. Sometimes users get 2 or even 3 years out of them, but 2 years is closer to the mark on average.
I had to change my battery this time last year. But, between then and now, does that mean if I had to change my battery after a very dull and wet Summer and a very dull and wet Winter, would that be appropriate for my battery to run out or is it still running out too quickly?