Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.5 (build 3282) - 23 February 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

LOW BATTERY TRANSMITTER 1?

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
William Grimsley
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

LOW BATTERY TRANSMITTER 1?

Post by William Grimsley »

Hi there,

I've just come home and found that my Davis Vantage Vue weather station is displaying the message 'LOW BATTERY TRANSMITTER 1'. It's been very warm and sunny today, so I'm surprised that this message has come up. This message has come up before but I can't remember how long it takes for the battery to run out and if it isn't a very long time till it runs out, do I need to get a new battery fast? Or, can I wait a few days before I need to get a new battery?

Thanks in advance,

William
krmidas
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: LOW BATTERY TRANSMITTER 1?

Post by krmidas »

I've waited several days with no ill effects.

Please note that when you do replace the battery, the "low" indicator doesn't clear instantly. In my case, it is corrected by the next morning.

-Tom
Tom Keramidas, Lake Zurich, IL, USA
BCJKiwi
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Cabled
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Post by BCJKiwi »

The solar charges the supercap.
The super cap runs the ISS but can't run it all night if the night is long or its charge is low (little sun for days).
The remainder of the time the ISS is run from the battery. The battery is not rechargeable.
So, when the battery runs out, there is a period where the ISS won't run just before sun rise and the solar gets going again.

So, change the battery a soon as practical. The warning is a 'low' warning, not a 'dead' warning so there is a little leeway.

If the battery runs out again quickly then the supercap/solar need to be checked as the battery should last some years depending on the amount of sun at the location.
mermaidbeachweather
Weather Station: Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by mermaidbeachweather »

William Grimsley wrote:Hi there,

I've just come home and found that my Davis Vantage Vue weather station is displaying the message 'LOW BATTERY TRANSMITTER 1'. It's been very warm and sunny today, so I'm surprised that this message has come up. This message has come up before but I can't remember how long it takes for the battery to run out and if it isn't a very long time till it runs out, do I need to get a new battery fast? Or, can I wait a few days before I need to get a new battery?

Thanks in advance,

William
Hi William,
I have changed my battery 3 times in 4 years, when you change the battery you will need a lithium type I purchased an "Energizer" lithium number 123.
Cheers
Brian
William Grimsley

Hi guys,

Thanks for your replies.

Now I know that the battery is a Energizer Lithium 123 battery, I can easily get that from a local shop.

Also, now I know that I can wait several days before this becomes a problem, that means I can get the battery not so quickly as I thought and that the battery was last changed about 1 year ago, so I know the supercap/solar is fine. :lol:

Somehow overnight, the message has dissapeared and has been replaced with 'LUNAR ECLIPSE 25.04' so does that mean my battery isn't low anymore or is it because the Davis Vantage Vue Console can't display two messages at once?

Thanks for your help guys,

William
RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by RayProudfoot »

If you're having to replace the battery every year it suggests all is not well.

I still have the original battery in both my ISS and anemometer transmitter that were purchased back in April 2009.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

Wasn't/isn't there a known issue with the Vue that it gives false low battery readings?
Steve
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

I suppose if Davis are aware of it a firmware fix should sort it. They could just run with the existing one until it fails. Could take a couple of years if the warning is false.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

prodata
Weather Station: VP2
Operating System: Windows - all flavours

Post by prodata »

There have been two kinds of low battery issue with the Vue:

1. Genuine but premature low battery issue, apparently due in most cases to moisture tracking across a set of gold contacts on the rain/battery PCBA, which then runs down the battery. This has been fixed in more recent revisions, but there is a retrospective fix which is crude but effective - just requires smearing some special insulating grease across the contacts to prevent the tracking. (There is also a small subset of genuine battery issues apparently caused by a supercap fault. The Vue main PCBA is potted and so there's no way of seeing or replacing the supercap. In general, this should ensure that the PCBA and supercap have a long service life, but in rare instances the supercap may have suffered latent damage during manufacture. This issue really is quite uncommon though.)

2. Spurious low battery warnings, apparently caused by two factors. One is that the ISS warning flag can seemingly be triggered by a very brief and transient low voltage (perhaps when the unit is switching from one power source to another), but once triggered, the console warning will then not reset automatically until midnight on the day of occurrence. The other is that the original low battery warning is very sensitive - arguably too sensitive. In the Rev F Vue the ISS low battery threshold was lowered from 2.8v to 2.0v. Also, as of console firmware revision 2.14, the time threshold over which an ISS low battery flag needed to be seen was extended to 2 minutes before triggering the console warning.

So, on older Vue stations, there were various reasons why an ISS low battery can be seen, but on more recent models this problem should largely have been eradicated.
John Dann
Prodata Weather Systems
Littleport, East Cambs, UK
http://www.weatherstations.co.uk
William Grimsley

RayProudfoot wrote:If you're having to replace the battery every year it suggests all is not well.

I still have the original battery in both my ISS and anemometer transmitter that were purchased back in April 2009.
Either Cheadle Hulme is very sunny or you're just lucky because as mermaidbeachweather said, he has replaced his Davis Vantage Vue battery 3 times in 4 years! Not a year. More like 1 1/2 years.
Last edited by William Grimsley on Wed 24 Apr 2013 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
William Grimsley

prodata wrote:There have been two kinds of low battery issue with the Vue:

1. Genuine but premature low battery issue, apparently due in most cases to moisture tracking across a set of gold contacts on the rain/battery PCBA, which then runs down the battery. This has been fixed in more recent revisions, but there is a retrospective fix which is crude but effective - just requires smearing some special insulating grease across the contacts to prevent the tracking. (There is also a small subset of genuine battery issues apparently caused by a supercap fault. The Vue main PCBA is potted and so there's no way of seeing or replacing the supercap. In general, this should ensure that the PCBA and supercap have a long service life, but in rare instances the supercap may have suffered latent damage during manufacture. This issue really is quite uncommon though.)

2. Spurious low battery warnings, apparently caused by two factors. One is that the ISS warning flag can seemingly be triggered by a very brief and transient low voltage (perhaps when the unit is switching from one power source to another), but once triggered, the console warning will then not reset automatically until midnight on the day of occurrence. The other is that the original low battery warning is very sensitive - arguably too sensitive. In the Rev F Vue the ISS low battery threshold was lowered from 2.8v to 2.0v. Also, as of console firmware revision 2.14, the time threshold over which an ISS low battery flag needed to be seen was extended to 2 minutes before triggering the console warning.

So, on older Vue stations, there were various reasons why an ISS low battery can be seen, but on more recent models this problem should largely have been eradicated.
Hi prodata,

Thanks for your very informative reply.

My Davis Vantage Vue, was set up on 20/07/2011. Does this mean that is an new model or an old model?

William
William Grimsley

It looks like the message 'LOW BATTERY TRANSMITTER 1' has come back again along with the message 'LUNAR ECLIPSE 25.04' so either the battery is faulty or the battery is low again. :?
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

William Grimsley wrote:Either Cheadle Hulme is very sunny or you're just lucky because as mermaidbeachweather said, he has replaced his Davis Vantage Vue battery 3 times in 4 years! Not a year. More like 1 1/2 years.
I can assure you William that Cheadle Hulme isn't sunnier than where you are. I'm near Manchester making it impossible! ;)

I have the VP2 and you and Mermaid Beach have the Vue. That's the difference.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

prodata
Weather Station: VP2
Operating System: Windows - all flavours

Post by prodata »

William Grimsley wrote:My Davis Vantage Vue, was set up on 20/07/2011. Does this mean that is an new model or an old model?
There have been a number of revisions to the Vue since it first came out, starting with Rev A (surprise, surprise) and currently on Rev MD, last time I looked. If you have a single letter at the start of the Mfg Code then that will be the Rev level. If you have two letters (which happened as from Rev MA) then that's the Rev level.

(This rather disguises when more major changes were made. Davis regard anything from from Rev A to Rev F (I think it was, but don't quote me) as v1.00. Rev G was v1.05 (about May 2012), which made some important internal modifications to the Vue ISS. And then there was a jump to Rev MA which was v1.10 (about Dec 2012).

Then, separately from the hardware revision, there's the console firmware revision level. You can update the firmware yourself (with care!) via a download from the Davis site. v2.14 contained the change to the low ISS battery warning. The current revision level is v3.00 for the Vue. NB I don't recommend updating the firmware unless there's a real need to do so - there is a real risk of things going wrong or not behaving as you expect.
John Dann
Prodata Weather Systems
Littleport, East Cambs, UK
http://www.weatherstations.co.uk
moe3
Weather Station: 2 Davis VP2's, Davis WMII
Operating System: Windows7x64

Post by moe3 »

Console f/w v2.14 was supposed to take care of those 'low battery' warnings, maybe you just plain out have to change the battery....and make sure you follow the directions in the Vue manual.