Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Davis vantage pro 2

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
kapo
Weather Station: Davis VP2
Operating System: Windows 10

Davis vantage pro 2

Post by kapo »

I ordered pws named Davis vantage pro2 6153. And now I have been thinking about this Cumulus program and its data from the beginning to the day when I have that new station working. I have just learned to use cumulus and I' ll use this program with that new pws. So, what I have to do that the new pws will work with cumulus? Must I install it again? How the old data? And what I have to do to my template I use nowadays? And What should I take into account when I take that new pws to work? And is it possible to use two stations in same cumulus program? And one more question.... Is it simple station to get working, Or do I have to plan for major problems with that? Many questions, but I want to know some things In advance that I can start playing with my new toy at once it comes to me......

-kapo-
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Davis vantage pro 2

Post by steve »

You can just change over to a new weather station and continue with the old data. You might have to edit today's rain total (on the edit menu) the first time you run with the new station.

You can't use two stations with one Cumulus installation. In most situations, you can install Cumulus twice in different folders and use a different weather station in each installation.

If your VP2 logger is the USB version, you need to read this: http://wiki.sandaysoft.com/a/FAQ#How_do ... Cumulus.3F

You would also find it useful to read the threads in this section of the forum, particularly as your station will almost certainly have version 3 firmware.
Steve
mikkimii
Operating System: Windows 7 x64 Pro

Post by mikkimii »

kapo wrote:So, what I have to do that the new pws will work with cumulus?
-kapo-
You need also Davis data logger to read data from Davis to Cumulus ;)
Br,
Mika
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

mikkimii wrote:You need also Davis data logger to read data from Davis to Cumulus ;)
Good point. I always assume that people have done their research before a significant purchase like a Vantage Pro2, but of course we see that isn't always the case. But I'm sure kapo knows this already ;)
Steve
kapo

Post by kapo »

Hi!

Yes I ordered in same pakage that data-logger also. It`s that USB version of Weather link logger. Is it coming probs. with that logger and cumulus? Yep I have to read what is behind that link. I suppose that I will have help from this forum if (read=when everything :)) something goes wrong....

with best regards:Kapo
Jim Brown
Operating System: Win 7

Post by Jim Brown »

I suggest that you install and use Weather link the software that comes with the Davis logger and use that for the initial station setup. After that you no longer need to use WL unless you want to.

It is very important that during the initial setup of the station that you set the logger to serial mode. IT must be set to serial mode even though it is a USB logger. Read page 14 of the weather link instructions.
kapo

Post by kapo »

Davis and Cumulus started to work without any probs. I installed whole new Cumulus in my pc and started Davis to run with it. Not a one problem. But Now I am wondering about how I can safely get old data to this new Cumulus? Could You Steve kindly give me some advice?

-kapo-
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

It's much easier to add new data to old, if you see what I mean - don't start from scratch, just continue with the old data, as I said earlier. Or a copy of the old data, at least. You could still do that, if there isn't a gap between the end of the old data and the data that's now in your Davis logger.

To merge in old data, you would need to copy any completed monthly log files, merge in your old dayfile.txt with your new one, merge in the monthly log file entries for this month, and then sort out the .ini files holding the highs and lows; you could probably just copy those over as they are.
Steve
kapo

Post by kapo »

Thanks again about quick answer.. Is it too late to try with that "old" Cumulus, if I can`t have that old data to this new Cumulus?

-kapo-
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

It's probably not too late. If there's a gap between the end of the old data and the start of the new data, then there will be a gap which ever way you do it. So if you just stop Cumulus and copy the data folder over from the old one to the new one, and then start it again, it should just carry on. There might be a gap - when did you stop running the old one?
Steve
kapo

Post by kapo »

I stopped the old one yesterday. But I have copied now that old data to the new Cumulus and configured them with notepad++. It seems that it could work.... We sees.

-kapo-
aznetcowboy
Weather Station: Davis 6153 Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Post by aznetcowboy »

This makes me wonder about purchasing a Davis model 6153 with the Data Logger (Model 6510USB) and/or the WeatherLink IP (Model 6555). But I am not sure what is best. I would like to connect to my PC for the obvious connect to Cumulus. But I'd also like to keep broadcasting my readings to Weather Underground, CWOP, etc. Before placing such an order, any suggestions here?

The vendor says I don't need the Data Logger if I have the WeatherLink IP. This does add some confusion to the mix. How can I get my readings to Cumulus if I just have the WeatherLink IP? :?

Oh yes, the main reason for wanting to change from my WS-2080 to the Davis 6153 is to get more accurate outside temperature readings and rainfall reading. Plus somewhere close to actual wind speed reading.
Tom Wills
Ridge Run Weather Station: http://www.ridgerun.us
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Weatherlink IP is also a data logger, just as the USB version is.
Steve
aznetcowboy

Post by aznetcowboy »

steve wrote:Weatherlink IP is also a data logger, just as the USB version is.
Oh, that is good news. I must admit I found it a bit confusing especially when the pictures online are not clear enough or detailed enough. Okay, I will order the 6153 (with the "aspirated" fan) and the WeatherLink IP. Thanks, Steve, for the quick reply. :D
Tom Wills
aznetcowboy

Post by aznetcowboy »

steve wrote:Weatherlink IP is also a data logger, just as the USB version is.
Okay Steve, I have everything installed and including my WeatherLink IP and my Vantage Pro 2 console is receiving data okay from the W.S. However, I cannot get Cumulus to see the unit. It won't set up as USB or Serial, but will as IP. So why can't I get Cumulus to see it. I keep getting the error "Error -32701 while trying to initialize the station. Please check you connections and settings."

Any suggestions? BTW, the link to the serial converter is not Windows 7 (64 bit) compatible according to the Davis web site.

Tom
Tom Wills