Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Cumulus using ""Hi Speed" intead of "Wind Speed"?

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
ARootBear
Weather Station: Vantage Vue + WLL
Operating System: Windows 10

Cumulus using ""Hi Speed" intead of "Wind Speed"?

Post by ARootBear »

Hello all, I've been having a problem with cumulus/weather underground and after a lot of searching, I was unable to find any answers.
After my datalogger has been disconnected for any amount of time, I plug it in and allow cumulus to catch up as normal. This works fine, except that the wind values that are sent to weather underground for the period for which the console was disconnected are much higher than the values shown in cumulus for the same time.
At first, my gust speed and my wind speed were exactly the same, and I changed the logging interval to 10 minutes on Weatherlink, hoping this would solve my problem. Although it did start giving me different values for "wind" and "gust", the wind values were still considerably high. So, I kept searching.
What I found was interesting, the value Weatherlink calls "Hi Speed" was exactly the same as the "wind speed" cumulus was sending to weather underground.
I took two screenshots comparing the values for a time period.

Just for clarification, I am using v1.9.2 and a Vantage Vue. Cumulus is displaying the correct wind and gust values, but seems to be sending the wrong one to weather underground.

Am I possibly just missing a simple option somewhere? Anyone else have this problem? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brigus, Newfoundland, Canada. http://brigusweather.com
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Cumulus using ""Hi Speed" intead of "Wind Speed"?

Post by steve »

By default, Cumulus sends the 'gust' speed (the figure normally displayed as 'latest', not the 'peak gust') to WU. When running live, that figure corresponds to the latest 3-second wind speed read from the console. When using logger data, that figure corresponds to the 'Hi Speed' from the logger (i.e. the highest 3-second speed recorded by the logger over the previous logger interval). Cumulus uses that figure to avoid missing any peak wind speeds.

If you don't want Cumulus to send the 'gust/latest' to WU, you can select 'Send average wind' instead.
Steve
ARootBear
Weather Station: Vantage Vue + WLL
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Cumulus using ""Hi Speed" intead of "Wind Speed"?

Post by ARootBear »

Thanks Steve, I'll give that a try!
Brigus, Newfoundland, Canada. http://brigusweather.com