Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Vantage Vue more reliable than Ambient WS-1090?

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
jwiz
Weather Station: Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows XP

Vantage Vue more reliable than Ambient WS-1090?

Post by jwiz »

Had an Ambient 1090 and used Cumulus. Set up on Weather underground.
Seemed to work fine but tx from unit to console would lock up. Tried all sorts of fixes (battery changes etc.) nothing helped. Tech service claimed it was interference from the computer or the wireless net router. Moved to another room (all within range) and still problem existed (was connected to lap top here). Moved it away from all computers and prblem still developed. Sent the unit back. Am looking at Vantage Vue, will this work more reliably??
From forum it appears I need the data logger to connect to my computer ??? Thanks.
gemini06720
Weather Station: No weather station
Operating System: No operating system

Re: Vantage Vue more reliable than Ambient WS-1090?

Post by gemini06720 »

The Davis Instruments weather stations (ie: Vantage Pro2 and Vantage Vue) are a lot more reliable that all of those low-priced weather station, bar none, albeit at a higher price - but then, you get what you pay for... :roll:

I have been using the Davis Instruments Vantage Pro2 Plus weather station for more than six years with no problem whatsoever, none!

The only upgrade I made to the weather station since its purchase was the installation of a heater for the rain cone (so the detection of the precipitation can continue under freezing temperatures).

A few years back, I purchased a Vantage Vue console (not the external/outside integrated sensor suite) but do not really like the limited display of the console - the Vantage Pro2 console display is, in my views, much more informative.

If you can raise additional funds for your next purchase, I highly recommend the Vantage Pro2 weather station as additional sensors (such as the solar radiation and UV sensor) can be added at a later time.

As you indicated, to access the data processed by the console, an interface (an adapter, or a data logger) must be purchased and installed inside the console - that interface allows communication between weather software installed on your computer and the data logger's internal memory.
mermaidbeachweather
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by mermaidbeachweather »

jwiz wrote:Had an Ambient 1090 and used Cumulus. Set up on Weather underground.
Seemed to work fine but tx from unit to console would lock up. Tried all sorts of fixes (battery changes etc.) nothing helped. Tech service claimed it was interference from the computer or the wireless net router. Moved to another room (all within range) and still problem existed (was connected to lap top here). Moved it away from all computers and prblem still developed. Sent the unit back. Am looking at Vantage Vue, will this work more reliably??
From forum it appears I need the data logger to connect to my computer ??? Thanks.
Hi,
I have had a Vantage Vue for over two years now it was one of the first to arrive in Australia, apart from being a US version in regard to transmitting frequencies i have had not trouble with it. however if you consider to buy one you will need a data logger whether it comes from Davis or some other source. My position is about 100 meters from the Pacific Ocean and every now and again i get up and give the rain collector a wipe out. one thing I did do was attach a couple of cable ties to the antenna to ward away birds who thought the rain collector was a place to store seeds and berries. Unfortunately I have mine situated on tome of a three storey building, which makes it a be difficult to change batteries, plus I don't think the rain measurements would be accurate.
Cheers
Brian
WoodburyMan
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1000
Operating System: Windows 10 20H2

Post by WoodburyMan »

I'm in the same boat. I just had to replace the transmitter/temperature sensor last week after the original I had for 14 months died. Even when my old sensor worked I would have the same issues as you, random disconnects and I also get huge spikes. I've had to set my tolerances and spike removal to very extreme narrow parameters because of this. If I had the money I would have just gotten a Vue, but instead I just got a new sensor/transmitter.
Woodbury, CT Weather Ecowitt GW1100, Solar, Wind, Rain, Temp, Soil, Lightning
Southington, CT Weather Ecowitt GW2000 Wittboy Solar, Wind, Rain, Temp, Soil, Lightning, CO2/PM2.5/PM10

Running CumuluxMX 3.24.1 b3234 both sites on Windows 11 22H2
jwiz
Operating System: Windows XP

Post by jwiz »

Thanks for all your replies. Most encouraging!
I will proceed with the Davis equipment.
Will let you all know how I make out. :D
yv1hx
Weather Station: No station yet ...
Operating System: Win XP Professional

Post by yv1hx »

jwiz wrote:Thanks for all your replies. Most encouraging!
I will proceed with the Davis equipment.
Will let you all know how I make out. :D
Good luck and enjoy your new toy! :clap:
Marco
floggitt
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Pro Plus
Operating System: windows 7 home premium 64

Post by floggitt »

I have just got my VP2 yesterday evening. I assembled it in the house and powered it up, before I could read the manual what to do next the console was saying it was connected to station 1 :D Changed a couple of settings in Cumulus and it has been on line since. In fact I have deleted the data from the old station as it had so many spikes and gaps in the data. Make the change I certainly dont regret it.
Click the banner
yv1hx
Weather Station: No station yet ...
Operating System: Win XP Professional

Post by yv1hx »

floggitt wrote:I have just got my VP2 yesterday evening. I assembled it in the house and powered it up, before I could read the manual what to do next the console was saying it was connected to station 1 :D Changed a couple of settings in Cumulus and it has been on line since. In fact I have deleted the data from the old station as it had so many spikes and gaps in the data. Make the change I certainly dont regret it.

Congratulations!!! :clap: :clap:
Marco
faa440
Weather Station: Davis VP2
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by faa440 »

floggitt wrote:I have just got my VP2 yesterday evening. I assembled it in the house and powered it up, before I could read the manual what to do next the console was saying it was connected to station 1 :D Changed a couple of settings in Cumulus and it has been on line since. In fact I have deleted the data from the old station as it had so many spikes and gaps in the data. Make the change I certainly dont regret it.
I also converted from the WS-1090 because of its unreliability dure to "Lost Contact" lockups.
Another tip--If you feel the Davis forcast for you area may be more accurate than Cumulus' Zambretti forecast, try unchecking the "Cumulus Forecast" under Station Settings; this should then permit the Davis forecast to be substituted on your webpages.
Fred
Davis VP2
Hudson Ohio Conditions