Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Software requirement

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
DOC
Weather Station: Watson W-8681 Solar
Operating System: Windows 10

Software requirement

Post by DOC »

Hi All
I am thinking of purchasing a Davis pro vue. My question is do I need to purchase the extra expensive Davis software to run this unit with cumulus? I would like to upload the data to my own web site but not anywhere else.
Regards
Doc
PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Re: Software requirement

Post by PaulMy »

Doc,
You would need to buy the Weatherlink Data Logger to connect the Davis console to a computer, and the logger package comes complete with the Weatherlink Software at no additional cost. You cannot run Cumulus and Weatherlink Software at the same time (unless you have the additional third party VVP software) but Weatherlink Software is useful to setup the logger interval, etc.

However there are third-party alternates to the Davis Weatherlink logger at a much lower cost, and information can be found in a forum search.

Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www. komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm
gemini06720
Weather Station: No weather station
Operating System: No operating system

Post by gemini06720 »

Doc, just a few words of caution: I recently read that Davis Instruments is voiding warranty on their weather stations if it is used with an interface (data logger) other than theirs...
BCJKiwi
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Cabled
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Post by BCJKiwi »

How would they know?
belfryboy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 envoy 24hr FARS
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Post by belfryboy »

gemini06720 wrote:Doc, just a few words of caution: I recently read that Davis Instruments is voiding warranty on their weather stations if it is used with an interface (data logger) other than theirs...
Out of interest, where did you read that. I cannot find a statement to that effect within their warranty document, and they haven't publicised anything like that.

A copy of their warranty statement is here:

I obviously have a biased opinion on this matter, and I am in no way trying to influence your choice of purchase. You will get great support from Davis if you choose to purchase their software, and I expect you will get little support if you inform them that you used a 3rd party interface and they subsequently blame that for any equipment failure.
bigharps
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 +
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Post by bigharps »

Hi Doc,
From my own experience you WILL need to use the Weatherlink software, if only to set up the Davis console.
It's a story of its own...
I've had a Vantage Pro2+ for just over a year now, and only recently managed to get past the annoying occurrence of the whole program sitting there for 2 or 3 minutes before it showed any data.
I was fully aware of the warning:
"It is strongly recommended that you set the archive interval in your station and the Cumulus logging interval to the same value. This is particularly important if you have a Davis station as otherwise you may activate the 'feature' in the Davis stations where they send the entire contents of the data logger when Cumulus asks for the data since it was last running."
I had diligently searched the Davis literature for information on setting the archive interval, but with no result.
I did the initial setup of my station thru the console interface, and there was no mention of any such setting.
As I was happy using Cumulus, and being uninterested in the Davis software, I had not even opened the CD packet which came with the logger.
Eventually as the 'wait' time got longer at almost every start, (timed at 3 mins 23 sec the day I really screamed!) I began searching the literature again. By some fluke I noticed somewhere in a description of what the Weatherlink software did, that it allowed easy setting of the station parameters.
I found the CD tossed in the back of a shelf and loaded the program, stopped Cumulus and found that about 15 seconds later I had the logging interval in the Davis set to one minute to match Cumulus.
So... save yourself the long waits and futile searches for how to set the archive interval, and set up the station with Weatherlink, turn it off and start Cumulus. I would have saved myself a lot of cursing and thumb twiddling had I known this a year ago.
Maybe if Steve sees this post he might add the tip to the quoted paragraph?
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

bigharps wrote:Maybe if Steve sees this post he might add the tip to the quoted paragraph?
Done. And eventually, I might get around to writing a small utility to set the logger interval, like I've done for Fine Offset stations. But it's always a good idea to run the software supplied with a station before trying Cumulus.
Steve
yv1hx
Weather Station: No station yet ...
Operating System: Win XP Professional

Post by yv1hx »

bigharps wrote:..snip..... on setting the archive interval, but with no result. snip.....
bigharps:

Please have a look to this official document from Davis: http://www.davisnet.com/support/weather ... s_v230.pdf, in the page 8, section 7, the command:

Code: Select all

"SETPER <Archive interval in minutes-decimal>"
Enables the datalogger to archive the data sets, according tho the specs, the valid values are:

1, 5, 10, 15, 30, 60, and 120.
You need to also to enable the capture sending the command

START
to the console.

Be aware, when you send the

"SETPER
command to the console, all stored registers are cleared from the memory. (Page 19 on the same document....)

I have been experimenting some days ago connecting Hyperterminal and the Davis console sending and receiving commands without any problems.
Marco
bigharps
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 +
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Post by bigharps »

To yv1hx:
I suppose I should have been more specific instead of using the expression 'Davis literature'.
There is nothing about 'archive interval' in either the Vantage Pro2 Console manual or the Vantage Pro2 Quick Reference Guide from the Davis website.
I would not expect to have to go looking for communication protocols for a seemingly basic setting. It is definitely not unreasonable for me to expect to find the information to set up the station in the instruction manuals. Hindsight, being the wonderful thing it is, makes obvious the fact that the data logger is part of the software (or vice versa), and not part of the basic weather station.
As it turned out the setting was quite simple for someone prepared to use the Weatherlink software.
The warnings that Cumulus and Weatherlink could not be used together, and the fact I had been happily using Cumulus for over a year, had me decide to not even load the Weatherlink software. My thinking was "Why bother loading software I will never use?"
Everything worked perfectly except for the start delay, and that only became a problem when I loaded a couple of new programs requiring restarts, had some existing software I downloaded updates for (requiring restarts), and added and subtracted hardware - all on the same day.
All is good now, and the hint to use Weatherlink to set up the station is now in the Cumulus instructions.
yv1hx

Post by yv1hx »

Hi bigharps,
bigharps wrote:To yv1hx:
I suppose I should have been more specific instead of using the expression 'Davis literature'.
There is nothing about 'archive interval' in either the Vantage Pro2 Console manual or the Vantage Pro2 Quick Reference Guide from the Davis website.
I agree, me too.

I found the 'archive interval' spec after reading zillions of Davis related documents..As usual, I read the correct document at last :bash:
bigharps wrote:I would not expect to have to go looking for communication protocols for a seemingly basic setting. It is definitely not unreasonable for me to expect to find the information to set up the station in the instruction manuals. Hindsight, being the wonderful thing it is, makes obvious the fact that the data logger is part of the software (or vice versa), and not part of the basic weather station.
As it turned out the setting was quite simple for someone prepared to use the Weatherlink software.
The warnings that Cumulus and Weatherlink could not be used together, and the fact I had been happily using Cumulus for over a year, had me decide to not even load the Weatherlink software. My thinking was "Why bother loading software I will never use?"
Everything worked perfectly except for the start delay, and that only became a problem when I loaded a couple of new programs requiring restarts, had some existing software I downloaded updates for (requiring restarts), and added and subtracted hardware - all on the same day.
All is good now, and the hint to use Weatherlink to set up the station is now in the Cumulus instructions.
Marco
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

yv1hx wrote:As usual, I read the correct document at last :bash:
Well, you would wouldn't you! Same as you find always find things in the last place you look. :roll: ;)
yv1hx

Post by yv1hx »

mcrossley wrote:
yv1hx wrote:As usual, I read the correct document at last :bash:
Well, you would wouldn't you! Same as you find always find things in the last place you look. :roll: ;)
LOL! :lol:
Marco