Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Rain errors from vp2 in cumulus

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
tweatherman
Weather Station: Davis VP2

Rain errors from vp2 in cumulus

Post by tweatherman »

Steve,
I'm getting rainfall erros in cumulus. Is there anyway to edit them to make them correctly show in the software.

Thanks,
Tim
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Rain errors from vp2 in cumulus

Post by steve »

tweatherman wrote:Steve,
I'm getting rainfall erros in cumulus. Is there anyway to edit them to make them correctly show in the software.

Thanks,
Tim
That's unusual with a Davis. What sort of errors? To remove them, you'll need to stop Cumulus and edit Feb09log.txt and possibly dayfile.txt too. See the help file for the formats.

Steve
rejester
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2

Post by rejester »

I don't have an error msg but rather my daily rain for 2/21/09 of 0.01 inch that's showing on my VP2 lcd screen is showing as 0.00 in Cumulus. Interestingly, Cumulus does show the 0.01 as the All time Record for 2/21/09. Which is true since it's the 1st rain from when I started logging on 2/17/09. Any ideas as what went wrong or what I can correct manually?

Awesome program btw, thanks.

Ryan
tweatherman
Weather Station: Davis VP2

Post by tweatherman »

Interesting I'm also short 0.01" for the year but correct for the month.

Tim
rejester

Post by rejester »

I see some problem here.

In the today.ini it has this for rain:
[Rain]
High=0.00999999977648258
HTime=00:00
Start=0.00999999977648258
Yesterday=0

No mater if I change High= or Start= to .01, it always sets this back to those numbers. I guess this is direct data filled in from my VP2. It seems Cumulus does not know what to do with a number carried out that many digits. I had no idea the VP2 was so accurate :) I'm tempted to do an All Clear on the VP2.

Ryan
rejester

Post by rejester »

I forgot to mention I do NOT have those looong carried out integers in the Feb09log.txt or in the dayfile.txt.

Ryan
gateway2capecod

Post by gateway2capecod »

Hello guys...

I wouldnt be too worried about 0.01...if it were off by a lot more than this, then I would be worried. just let everything run and once you have some measurable rainfall check and see if it then records it correctly.

I have been running this software 24/7 for almost a week now, along side with my WD Software and uploading both to my server/website pages etc... without any problems, other than a few FTP Timeouts from time to time in my error screen. Most likely caused by the large amount of data being updated to my server every X amount of minutes from the WD software, both are running together using Virtual VP.

...chris
My Cumulus Site is Here: http://www.gateway2capecod.com/cumulus
My Main Site is here: http://www.gateway2capecod.com

steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Rather a lot to take in here! The monthly and annual totals are calculated from the daily totals in dayfile.txt. I have no idea how you can one correct and the other wrong, nor how the all time high could be correct for a particular day but the total for that day shows zero.

Those ridiculously accurate floating point numbers are simply the way the numbers come out when converted to text; as you will probably know, computers cannot represent floating point numbers exactly in binary. I don't bother doing any rounding in the today.ini file as those numbers are just for internal use. I do wonder if the discrepancies you are seeing are down to rounding errors somewhere. Obviously, Cumulus should be able to get it right, but I may have slipped up somewhere in a conversion or calculation.

Steve
rejester

Post by rejester »

I'm really just wanting to figure out how to correct the numbers as shown on the main Cumulus screen.
My monthy rainfall and yearly rainfall is 0.00, But it's really should show 0.01. However, It does correctly show 0.01 in the All time records. It's the principle of things, yes, I don't care about 0.01. But still, it should show 0.01.

Ryan
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

You'll need to edit dayfile.txt. Find the entry for the day where you should have 0.01" of rain (the 21st, I think?), and change that entry. Do this with Cumulus stopped, and on restart the monthly and annual totals should show 0.01". Format of the dayfile.txt file is in the help file.

http://sandaysoft.com/faq#faq_16

Steve
rejester

Post by rejester »

That fixed it, thanks so much.

Ryan