Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Wunderground Catch Up / Vue / Cumulus

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
StirlingScott
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Mac OSX - Parallels Windows XP

Wunderground Catch Up / Vue / Cumulus

Post by StirlingScott »

Hi,

We have just recorded a 75mph wind gust here this morning and during that time the internet connection was down for about 30 minutes. When it came back on, Cumulus and the Davis Vantage Vue caught up with each other and on the next upload to the internet uploaded all the logger information to my website and all the info which was received when offline caught up and now display on my website.

But i upload to Wunderground every five minutes but it appears the catch up has not worked (it is enabled in cumulus). It just happens to be the time when the record wind gust was and underground has no record of any of those 5 minute intervals when it was offline.

Is there anything Im doing wrong as I'm sure this used to work (perhaps before i upgraded to a Vue) or alternatively can you add an entry to the underground records after a log in (although i can't see any option to do this)

any help would be appreciated

thanks
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Wunderground Catch Up / Vue / Cumulus

Post by steve »

Was Cumulus running while the internet connection was down at the time of the high gust?
Steve
StirlingScott

Post by StirlingScott »

Hi Steve

yes cumulus was running on the pc with the logger connected to it, unfortunately we had a dip in power that threw out the router and I did not notice for 30 minutes that i had no internet connection. Once internet was back up i restarted cumulus and the pc and the catch up worked between cumulus and the logger and the next upload to my website had all the missing data, but no catch up went to wunderground.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

The WU 'catch up' facility is not for recovering from internet outages, WU outages etc. It simply uploads data to WU that it downloads from the station's logger when it starts up after it hasn't been running for a while, to fill in data that it 'missed' while it wasn't running. As it was running at the time, there was no missed data, hence no 'catch up' to do.

I don't know of any easy way to manually enter data into WU. The only way I know of is to use the HTTP 'GET' protocol which Cumulus itself uses: http://wiki.wunderground.com/index.php/ ... d_Protocol
Steve
StirlingScott

Post by StirlingScott »

Hi Steve, I thought thats what you were going to say. Its just a pity this outage came at the same time as the record gust.

Im off to look at that complicated process to upload a wunderground entry - wish me luck.

thanks again for your prompt response.
StirlingScott

Post by StirlingScott »

Hi Steve, i managed to add a manual entry using that .php script - many thanks
RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by RayProudfoot »

This is one reason I always have WeatherLink running as well as Cumulus. It contains a module which allows you to upload data for a chosen period. I have to temporarily shutdown Cumulus when I do this.

You will also need VirtualVP to allow you to run more than one weather program. Although I don't use many aspects of WL this option is invaluable such as when WU went offline last week and I was able to upload around 7 hours of data although this didn't include gusts.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

George Richardson
Weather Station: Davis VP2 wireless

Post by George Richardson »

Ray,
Within the past two weeks, I have had a major problem uploading to wunderground that caused me to lose 2 days of data that I would like to insert.

Would you amplify the method you are referring to RE: WL, PLEASE!

TIA

George
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

Certainly George,

Save the attached dll to Expansion_Modules in your WL folder structure.

Stop Cumulus and then open WL and under the File menu choose Manage Modules. Enable the module listed. You will need to exit and restart WL.

After reopening it from the File menu choose Wunderground Settings. At the bottom of that window is the Archive section where you supply the start and end date/times. Then press Upload Observations.

When that's finished you should deselect the module and restart WL. Then you can restart Cumulus.

All the data will be uploaded except for gusts but the highest gust is recorded for the day.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

I think WU wrote that WL module rather than Davis, yes? I wonder if we could persuade them to write one for Cumulus? Just to do the 'archive' bit. It should be possible for someone to write a stand-alone bit of software which reads the Cumulus data logs and creates WU entries from them - like the WL module can do.
Steve
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

Searching on the dll name reveals WU to be the owners. http://wiki.wunderground.com/index.php/ ... eatherLink

It would certainly enhance Cumulus to have this facility. Not sure how you would go about asking them? Raising a ticket is the only way I know of but perhaps you know of a better way.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Perhaps a Cumulus user could do it - enough people have asked me for the source code so they can 'help', but no-one (with a few notable exceptions) seems to want to write add-on software (rather than web stuff).
Steve
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

The skills are somewhat different of course. Visual Basic minimum but possibly C or C+ is required. Way beyond what I can do I'm afraid but maybe someone reading this can help.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

RayProudfoot wrote:The skills are somewhat different of course.
Indeed - that's why I stick to Cumulus and my simple HTML pages, and let others do the clever web stuff!
Steve
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

steve wrote:that's why I stick to Cumulus and my simple HTML pages, and let others do the clever web stuff!
Many including me would say your HTML pages are very clever and are very useful to newbies wanting to get their data available online as quickly as possible. :clap:
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.