Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Wind Vane Sticking ?/ Anemometer Fault ?

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
Paul C
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with solar
Operating System: Windows 10

Wind Vane Sticking ?/ Anemometer Fault ?

Post by Paul C »

Steve - I dont know if you want to move latest discussion on VP2 add ons into here ?

Another question for everyone -
Anemometer - my wind cups are working fine, but I have noticed that the wind direction appears to keep getting "stuck" now at first I thought it may have been the cold weather, or the wind was just blowing in the same direction all the time. ANyway I have examined it this morning and it does appear a little stiff to manually move. Trouble is I cant remember what it was like when I first installed it, does anyone know how stiff or loose the wind vane should be ?

tks
Last edited by Paul C on Mon 19 Jan 2009 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul C
Brampton, Cumbria, UK
117m ASL
http://www.bramptonweather.co.uk
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Wind Vane Sticking ?

Post by steve »

I think they are supposed to be 'firm' but not 'stiff', if you see what I mean. Your wind direction graph does look a bit odd. Your wind speed is quite low, so I think maybe it's genuine. Mine is similar at times, but I guess that being by the sea you would expect the wind here to be more 'steady'.

http://sanday.org.uk/weather/trends.htm

Steve
Paul C

Post by Paul C »

Tks - its a bit odd as I keep going up and moving it around and around !
Will leave it alone and see what happens.
Paul C
Brampton, Cumbria, UK
117m ASL
Paul C

Post by Paul C »

After by problem with the wind vane sticking, I decided that it was just light winds and I was expecting more from it that it was perhaps designed to do at wind speeds of less than 2 knots or so.

Unfortunatley now I have developed a problem with the wind speed instead, basically it just stops, going from a good 25knots then showing nothing. It stopped the other day just as the winds started to increase as the storm rolled in. Then a few hours later is started working all over again. But this morning its now stopped again. The cups are spinning freely but nothing is showing on the display, please tell me its not a major fault !
Paul C
Brampton, Cumbria, UK
117m ASL
steve
Cumulus Author

Re: Wind Vane Sticking ?/ Anemometer Fault ?

Post by steve »

I'm not sure, but it sounds like a sticking reed switch. May need replacing. Have a look on the diagnostic screen on the console (pages 36/37 in the manual). It shows how many times the reed switch was seen closed and how many times open, see if they are both changing.

Another possibility is a loose or frayed wire.

Steve
Paul C

Post by Paul C »

Its back working again, wind is 2-4knots

Diagnostic report

0162 -9192

Both numbers slowly going up, dont appear to be in tandom though

Is this something that you can take apart and access ? this reed switch. Sounds like a job for a repair shop
Paul C
Brampton, Cumbria, UK
117m ASL
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Mine don't increase together either. Have another look if it stops working again.

I suspect replacing the reed switch, if that's the problem, would be a return for repair job.

Steve
Paul C

Post by Paul C »

steve wrote:Mine don't increase together either. Have another look if it stops working again.

I suspect replacing the reed switch, if that's the problem, would be a return for repair job.

Steve
Tks - if its an intermittent problem I may live with it, if it completley goes then YES it will be the repair shop :(

I have got my solar sensor to add in next, will have to wait until the end of the month before I,m allowed to open the box (birthday and all that)

Steve/Anyone - does your anemometer have any "play" in it, if you stop it do the cups move slightly up an down on the spindle
Paul C
Brampton, Cumbria, UK
117m ASL
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Paul C wrote:Steve/Anyone - does your anemometer have any "play" in it, if you stop it do the cups move slightly up an down on the spindle
I can't check mine without taking it down (5m off the ground on the end of a pole!), but I seem to remember it does have a bit of play in it, yes.

Steve
skyewright
Weather Station: WMR200+928>RFXCOM>Meteohub

Post by skyewright »

Paul C wrote:Unfortunatley now I have developed a problem with the wind speed instead, basically it just stops, going from a good 25knots then showing nothing. It stopped the other day just as the winds started to increase as the storm rolled in. Then a few hours later is started working all over again. But this morning its now stopped again. The cups are spinning freely but nothing is showing on the display, please tell me its not a major fault !
I think I remember something like that over on Weather-Watch. IIRC they later found the cups on the floor, sort of proving that in that case at least it was a loose grub screw!
Maybe worth checking...
Regards
David

Paul C

Post by Paul C »

Just as the wind and rain arrive. The anemometer stops working !!!!. Wind direction is still working and changing but no speed. Must be the combination of rain and wind it doesnt like. Been ok for 3 weeks or so !!
Looks like a repair job now :(
Paul C
Brampton, Cumbria, UK
117m ASL