Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Dew showing as rainfall

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
mickopla
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 7

Dew showing as rainfall

Post by mickopla »

Hi Guys

I had a hard frost last night and the Dew from that showed up as 0.4mm rainfall. I was wondering is there any way to amend these readings in Cumulus or in the Davis Vantage Vue console??? I don't want today showing rainfall when it was a clear sunny day. Tia

Mike
RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Re: Dew showing as rainfall

Post by RayProudfoot »

mickopla wrote:Hi Guys

I had a hard frost last night and the Dew from that showed up as 0.4mm rainfall. I was wondering is there any way to amend these readings in Cumulus or in the Davis Vantage Vue console??? I don't want today showing rainfall when it was a clear sunny day. Tia

Mike
Mike,

I have the same thing on my VP2 and after some thought decided it is a valid measurement. The rain gauge is for measuring precipitation - not just rainfall. Technically dew IS precipitation so the reading is valid. It shows you have good kit for it to be that sensitive. ;)
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

As I understand it, in UKMO reporting, the correct thing to do is include dew/frost etc in the rainfall totals, but to make an appropriate comment in the register. How you interpret this, or indeed whether you want to, not being in the UK, is up to you.

If you do want to remove it from the total, there is an entry in the FAQ with instructions.
Steve
wd40
Weather Station: WS2080
Operating System: W7

Post by wd40 »

We posted about what is a rain day a few weeks back.

"rain day—(Also called day of rain.) In British climatology, a period of 24 hours, normally commencing at 0900 UTC, in which at least 0.01 in. or 0.2 mm of precipitation is recorded.
It is the practice of the U.S. National Weather Service to use phrases that are more self-defining, such as “day with measurable precipitation” or “day with 0.01 inch or more” (of precipitation). "

Precipitation (also known as one of the classes of hydrometeors, which are atmospheric water phenomena) is any product of the condensation of atmospheric water vapor that falls under gravity

Interesting question.

Randy
TwoTonTed
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 11

Post by TwoTonTed »

I'm glad I found this thread as was about to post similar. I've noticed a fairly regular 0.2mm on clear nights which is definitely dew. As it is recognised precipitation I'll just move on, cheers :)
StormCapture
Weather Station: Davis Pro 2 Plus / WH1081
Operating System: Windows 10 Professional

Post by StormCapture »

Our Weather Organisation here in Australia also counts dew as a rain day, anything over 0.2mm counts, 0.1mm or ground wet acts as a TRACE.

I do as Steve stated before and write if the 0.2 is dew or from fog.

Although 0.2 or 0.4mm evaporates within the hour when the sun is up
Mapantz
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 11 x64

Post by Mapantz »

I've always left mine as rainfall. My manual gauge will collect moisture, as it is down near ground level and in the shade. I simply imagine that 0.2mm is soaking in the ground as if it were rainfall. It can be easy to get a bit pedantic over these discrepancies. :lol:
PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Post by PaulMy »

I also leave any dew reading in my tipping bucket rain totals. However in my CoCoRaHS reporting (daily precipitation manual reporting) I usually report as 0.0 if I know it is dew rather than actual rain, and err on the side of reporting precipitation if I am unsure. But I fret over it as it adds to number of rain days or shortens rain-free days.

Enjoying,
Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www. komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm