Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Sunrise time

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
akinvic
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2

Sunrise time

Post by akinvic »

Hi Steve,

I'm sure you hear it all the time that Cumulus is truly a great product and the work you've put into it is nothing short of outstanding. I've only been using it a couple of weeks, but I definitely agree!

This might be a stupid question. One thing I can't quite figure out is Cumulus' sunrise times are a few minutes off (earlier) than that of what my other software reports (Weatherlink, for instance). I'm using the same exact lat/long coordinates, time zones, etc. A quick check at http://www.hia-iha.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/sunrise_adv_e.html (good for only Canadian locations) confirms this. Is this because of elevation (mine is 65m/213ft)?

BTW, my lat/long: 48,29,8 - 123,19,14 (degrees)
What Weatherlink reports is http://www.vicweather.net/AKWeather.htm, Cumulus http://www.vicweather.net/cumulus/index.htm

Cheers,
Andreas
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Sunrise/Sunset times

Post by steve »

Just using a slightly different algorithm, I guess. I have no idea what algorithm is used by the routines which Cumulus uses. It's possible I'm introducing an error somewhere in my position calculations or timezone conversions. Have a look in cumulus.ini, where you'll see your co-ordinates in decimal, see if they are what you expect.

Have you tried the moon times yet? Do they have a similar discrepancy?

Steve
akinvic

Re: Sunrise time

Post by akinvic »

Sorry Steve I was editing my original post and you had already replied :)

Only the sunrise is different, perhaps three minutes or so, and it's always earlier. Not sure if it's the elevation or something. Is anyone else noticing this?

And, no I haven't tried moon times (it's less important to me so I don't really care anyway :D )
TNETWeather

Post by TNETWeather »

I update to see the new moon values and they are off a bit from say WD for example same as the sun settings...

Personally, anything in the general area is good enough for me. I doubt many places have a direct line of sight of the horizons to "see" a difference.

I had in the past used moon rise/set charts to get the values as I was unable to find a decent calculation (actually one that I could then code)... and that worked well, but is is messy to setup.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

I seem to be calculating latitude and longitude in decimal correctly from deg/min/sec, and I have similar discrepancies here, so it's not a timezone thing.

I've found out the algorithm that's used, it's from:

Astronomical Algorithms, Jean Meeus, Willmann-Bell, 1991.

Steve
akinvic

Post by akinvic »

Steve,

I checked the cumulus.ini file and it seems to be reporting correctly as well.

A good website for doing the degree/decimal conversion is this: http://www.fcc.gov/mb/audio/bickel/DDDMMSS-decimal.html

In any case, whatever is causing it is not a big concern to me but just something I noticed. It certainly doesn't make me enjoy the software any less :)

Cheers,
Andreas
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

It's interesting, all the same :-)

I happen to have another library routine to hand, so I plugged it in, and it seems to come up with better results than the other one, so I think I'll use that instead.

Steve
akinvic

Post by akinvic »

Hi Steve

Looks like the algorithm you are using in the new beta (build 574) is working as it should. Great stuff!

Cheers,
Andreas