Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Weatherlink and Cumulus

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
PCBob
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows XP

Weatherlink and Cumulus

Post by PCBob »

Hi Steve

Brand new weather enthusiast here trying to get up to speed. Your product gets great reviews on all the boards I'm been reading.

I've downloaded the latest version of Cumulus, have the latest Weatherlink software with the USB data logger.

In searching through the WIKI and FAQs here I pretty sure I know how to get Cumulus working with all the USB Serial Converter DLL stuff but the answer I can't find is if I do all the driver updates will that render Weather Link inoperable or can I use both Cumulus and Weatherlink? I'm hoping yes and if that's true I assume then I would change the Weatherlink config to Serial.?

Thanks so much

Bob
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Weatherlink and Cumulus

Post by steve »

Yes, that's right. You need the station in serial mode to be able to use it with Cumulus, but you will then also be able to use it in serial mode with Weatherlink. But not simultaneously, as you probably know, unless you use Virtual VP. But note that there seem to be some issues between Virtual VP and Cumulus - or perhaps more correctly, between Virtual VP and the Davis DLL which Cumulus uses.
Steve
PCBob
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows XP

Post by PCBob »

Thanks Steve for the quick reply, now I can't wait to get it going!

Bob
gemini06720
Weather Station: No weather station
Operating System: No operating system

Post by gemini06720 »

steve wrote:...But note that there seem to be some issues between Virtual VP and Cumulus - or perhaps more correctly, between Virtual VP and the Davis DLL which Cumulus uses.
Indeed, and Steve Hatchett has not been able to isolate the problem that Cumulus is encountering... :(

Here are some information I have received from Steve Hatchett:
- Virtual VP talks directly to the console using serial or TCP/IP socket communications - it does not use the Davis DLL file.
- A lot of the communication problems are happening on console with the latest firmware update.
- Steve Hatchett has been able to duplicate a problem with the latest version of WeatherLink + VirtualVP + latest firmware.
- Steve Hatchett has not been able to duplicate the problem with VirtualVP and Cumulus - they ran fine throughout long test periods.
- Steve Hatchett does not think the problem is with Cumulus, but with the DLL from Davis, and the way it interacts with VirtualVP.

Steve, is there a chance that you might, very soon, use the newer and updated Vantage Pro/Pro2/Vue DLL version 2.41 (2009-03-02) from Davis (Steve Hatchett has not mentioned if he had tried/used that newer DLL)? I am interested and willing to test it for you - although I do not run Cumulus continuously anymore (because of instabilities on the computer it was installed on), on occasion, I do run Cumulus on my development computer as I have been 'tinkering' with some JavaScript code...

And no one knows if that newer DLL could/should/would solve the communication problems until it is tested... ;)
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

gemini06720 wrote:Steve, is there a chance that you might, very soon, use the newer and updated Vantage Pro/Pro2/Vue DLL version 2.41
Not very soon, no, but eventually, yes. Changing to a new DLL is tedious because all of the entry points change, so I have to find them all and change the code to match.
Steve
gemini06720
Weather Station: No weather station
Operating System: No operating system

Post by gemini06720 »

steve wrote:Not very soon, no, but eventually, yes.
:cry:
steve wrote:Changing to a new DLL is tedious because all of the entry points change, so I have to find them all and change the code to match.
I understand now - I though ut was just a matter of recompiling the file supplied in the ZIP... :oops:
silverview
Weather Station: Davis VP2
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by silverview »

I'm not sure if this will be of interest or not, but I run both C1 and C2 through VVP. I always experience the issue with C1 not loading info from the data logger. C2, however, does load all info every time I start it. It's possible that may shed some light on the problem (certainly not for me though).
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

silverview wrote:I'm not sure if this will be of interest or not, but I run both C1 and C2 through VVP. I always experience the issue with C1 not loading info from the data logger. C2, however, does load all info every time I start it. It's possible that may shed some light on the problem (certainly not for me though).
Yes, the problem occurs with the Davis DLL, and C2 doesn't use that.
Steve
silverview
Weather Station: Davis VP2
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by silverview »

I thought that might be the case.
Gordon-Loomberah
Weather Station: Davis VP2 + Solar and UV
Operating System: Windows 10 home

Post by Gordon-Loomberah »

silverview wrote: I run both C1 and C2 through VVP. I always experience the issue with C1 not loading info from the data logger. C2, however, does load all info every time I start it.
I run C1 and Weatherlink via VVP, and C1 almost always loads the info from the data logger. It does seem to forget all yesterday's recent extremes on a restart though, but no doubt that is a different problem :? Weatherlink always has timeouts with the logger, and has never produced any output for a web page :(
Loomberah Weather: http://gunagulla.com
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Gordon-Loomberah wrote:I run C1 and Weatherlink via VVP, and C1 almost always loads the info from the data logger. It does seem to forget all yesterday's recent extremes on a restart though, but no doubt that is a different problem :? (
That suggests to me that it isn't actually successfully downloading all of the data from the logger, and hence is unable to do the daily rollover. The diags files would show this.
Steve
Gordon-Loomberah

I'm talking about a re-start at any time, not at 9am. The yesterday data is all there before the restart, but its gone afterwards, replaced by zeros.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Gordon-Loomberah wrote:I'm talking about a re-start at any time, not at 9am. The yesterday data is all there before the restart, but its gone afterwards, replaced by zeros.
In that case it's probably failing to read (or perhaps write) the yesterday.ini file. Again, the diags files would have some info. Does the yesterday.ini file look OK?
Steve
Gordon-Loomberah

Yesterday.ini looks ok, data looks ok, not all zeros.

I've attached a zipped file containing the diag files.

thanks, Gordon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

It doesn't think your yesterday.ini file is valid, i.e. not for today - but clearly it actually is. You use an 0900 rollover? And you're not currently in Daylight Savings?
Steve