Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Best (or easiest) Way to go from Davis VP2 USB Logger to Davis IP WLL Logger

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
SJG1976
Weather Station: Davis WLL, with Airlink
Operating System: Raspberry Pi3 MX on USB Drive

Best (or easiest) Way to go from Davis VP2 USB Logger to Davis IP WLL Logger

Post by SJG1976 »

As the title says really.

I'm currently running latest Version on a Davis VP2 USB Logger.

I'm looking at switching this for a Davis WLL IP Logger.

What is the best way to get this working and keep the historic data on CumulusMX.

Is it going to be reinstall CumulusMX again and go though the setup Wizard.
Then copy the old data back.

Or is is just going to be change the station type from a VP2 to the WLL Logger and let it auto discover.

If it make any difference I already have an Davis Airlink working and also using an HTTP Call for the Ecowitt Extra sensors.

Just not sure what the best way is.

I know Mark has made a similar change fairly recently just wanted to know which was is best for maintaining the data?

Also with the old VP2 console disconnected, I presume I can still use this a a display away from the computer?
Phil23
Weather Station: Davis VP2+ & GW1000 (Standalone)
Operating System: Win10 Pro / rPi Buster

Re: Best (or easiest) Way to go from Davis VP2 USB Logger to Davis IP WLL Logger

Post by Phil23 »

You should just need to change the station type & enter the API info.

I'm currently running both; my original USB install & a test copy on my other laptop.
It was previously reading from a GW1000.

I had the WLL running for a few days before starting the Test install. Once I got the API info in it grabbed the historical data from the WLL site.

You could also copy/paste appropriate ini file info from the test to the like on changeover, but that would require a bit of caution & probably best done with a parallel copy of CMX running on a different machine or port.
:Now: :Today/Yesterday:

Main Station Davis VP2+ Running Via Win10 Pro.
Secondary Stations, Ecowitt HP2551/GW1000 Via rPi 3 & 4 Running Buster GUI.
:Local Inverell Ecowitt Station: :Remote Ashford Ecowitt Station:
SJG1976

Re: Best (or easiest) Way to go from Davis VP2 USB Logger to Davis IP WLL Logger

Post by SJG1976 »

Thanks Phil.

I'll probably also do a test install on another Raspberry Pi, and restore from a backup the. Change to the WLL too see what happens.

Looking forward to the delivery now.
Mapantz
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 11 x64

Post by Mapantz »

I presume you have a subscription to WLL?

I ditched my WLL last year. However, new plans mean that I am returning to the WLL, and replacing the USB logger full time. I am also - painfully grinding my teeth as I say this - buying a pro subscription.

It should be a matter of changing the station type setting to "Davis WeatherLink Live" and the log interval to 5 or 1 minute, depending on your subscription.
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

Yes, it should be straight forward. You just change the station type, configure the WLL settings (which sensor is on which transmitter id), enter the API v2 details and restart CMX.

Note that the WLL isn't a "logger" as such. It does buffer one minute interval data (much more than the VP2 loggers) if the internet is down, but that data is not accessible locally to third parties.

If you want the logger functionality (and health data like battery states, reception stats, firmware versions, uptime etc) then you will need to buy a Pro subscription on WeatherLink.com - they offer a free 30 day trial.

If you get a Pro subscription remember to set the archive interval on wl.com - it will default to the "free" 15 mins interval other wise.

The WLL (and AirLink) log data to wl.com at 1 minute intervals, with the free account you get access to 15 minute windows on that data. With the Pro account you can set the "window" size down to 5 minutes if you wish (I use 5 minutes), you need a Pro Plus account to see the 1 minute data. Note that the 1 minute data is there from the time you set up the devices, you just have to pay to see it.

One thing I am not sure of is the AirLink...

If you have a WLL station first, then when adding an AirLink you get the option of associating it with existing WLL station, their data then gets combined and CMX can access historic data from both devices in one data set. They both use the same API access codes.

Whether you get the same option when adding a WLL and there is an existing AirLink I do not not know. The AirLink may remain as a standalone device with its own API access codes. Hopefully not, cross that bridge if we come to it.
SJG1976

Post by SJG1976 »

Thanks all for the replies.

At the moment I've not thought about the subscription option. Will probably like other have done go for the trial and then end up paying for it.

If I do have issues with the Airlink and then adding a WLL Im happy to loose any historic and setup a new one.

At the moment the Airlink isn't located in its final position so data isn't as accurate as it should be.

I wasn't aware I guess that without the Pro Subscription you didn't get access to as much data locally however, perhaps and error on my part in not reading everything before buying.... I suppose I just thought the pro was more for what data it allowed you too see on the Cloud portal and not what it let you access locally.

Thanks for all the comments.

I'm sure I'll be back with more questions when it arrives.

Steve.
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

SJG1976 wrote: Wed 05 Jan 2022 2:40 am I suppose I just thought the pro was more for what data it allowed you too see on the Cloud portal and not what it let you access locally.
Hi Steve, the Pro subscription still does not give you access to historic data directly from the WLL, Davis have not implemented that feature. CMX has to connect out to wl.com to read the historic data to do the catch-up.
SJG1976

Post by SJG1976 »

Ahh I see.

So all all health data from the WLL site rather than from the local unit. I just assumed this was from direct from the unit.

Understood all the Historic Data was from WLL that bit makes sense to me, someone has too pay for all the Storage so Jeff can go up to space...

I'll still try the pro subscription, just can't test yet as die to a Courier Delay..... it's not arriving today now.

So who know when it will turn up.

Not been doing very well round why way for Deliverys.

Still could be worse..

Thanks again for all the comments.

Looking forward to testing and trying..

Steve.
Mapantz

Post by Mapantz »

SJG1976 wrote: Wed 05 Jan 2022 7:04 pm just can't test yet as die to a Courier Delay..... it's not arriving today now.

So who know when it will turn up.

Not been doing very well round why way for Deliverys.

Steve.
DPD by any chance?
SJG1976

Post by SJG1976 »

Ha ha.

Yes it was.
Although I've seen loads of them at work today so.

I'm also having trouble with Royal mail as well...
Mapantz

Post by Mapantz »

SJG1976 wrote: Wed 05 Jan 2022 9:01 pm Ha ha.

Yes it was.
Although I've seen loads of them at work today so.

I'm also having trouble with Royal mail as well...
I'm waiting on my WLL via DPD. I ordered it on the 23rd of December and paid for next day delivery..
SJG1976

Post by SJG1976 »

I only ordered mine the other day.
It's been collected but now stuck at the Distribution Centre
There's a delay with your parcel at our collection depot
Althought I've just check and it now says
Description
05 Jan 2022 19:40 DPD Local We have your parcel and it's on its way to our depot
I only ordered this Bank Holiday Monday though.
I still can't see it turning up this week though...

Will let you know when it arrives.
SJG1976

Post by SJG1976 »

Well I'm all Updated from the VP2 via USB to the WLL

Had a Failure on the USB Flash Drive I was running all my Data on.

So thought I may as well make the jump.

Now need to Automate the backups....