Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Slightly off-topic - WLL upgrade help

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
Defenderdogs
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus
Operating System: RPi3 Buster

Slightly off-topic - WLL upgrade help

Post by Defenderdogs »

My apologies if this type of question isn't welcome here; I certainly don't expect a response but, given the dire nature of Davis support, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I did a search both here and on the Davis site, but can't find anything definitive.

For a recent birthday my better half gave me a Weatherlink Live, which I intend to use to replace the existing console/logger on my VP2+ - I wasn't aware, unless I am missing something, what a disconnected process this is. It seems there is no way to simply add the WLL to the existing account and decommission the console and logger. A new account needs to be created to add the WLL, then the extra sensors (Airlink, Soil Moisture) need to be migrated via the app, so far so good and data starts to get updated on wl.com and after a settings tweak, to CumulusMX.

The problem is with my history, which isn't automatically moved across to the new account on wl.com. Like many, I gave up on the 1980s' PC software a while back and whilst my data is complete on wl.com back to 2015, for various reasons I don't have a complete set of .wlk files. It seems Davis provide a 'helpful' widget to import .wlk files into the WLL, but, unless I am missing something, there is no way to simply switch the data sitting on their servers, to the new account.

I emailed Davis a few days ago on this, but as ever their contempt for their clients, many of whom have 4 figure investments in their products, knows no bounds. If/when they deem me worthy of a reply I fully expect a one liner to the effect of "there is no way to migrate data on wl.com, you need a full set of .wlk files". I should note that, in response to a prior request asking if I can recreate my missing .wlk files from the wl.com data, they told me this can't be done...which I find pretty *&*^*(( staggering to be honest. There is a third party app that can be used to create .wlk files (from .csv files downloaded from wl.com), but it is so old and has so many eccentricities in terms of what is mandatory data and what isn't, I found it impossible to use.

Again, apologies if this is off-topic but at least writing it down is a form of therapy!
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: Slightly off-topic - WLL upgrade help

Post by mcrossley »

I have heard that some people managed to get Davis to migrate their data on wl.com across to the new station. It is a shame they do not offer an online migration facility for end users though.

Sorry, no help on the wlk files, I've never used the WeatherLink Windows app.
Defenderdogs

Post by Defenderdogs »

Thanks Mark. My problem would be solved were Cumulus able to pick up my historical data from my console/data logger account but I think that it's only possible to pull in the weatherlink.com history from a WLL based account, am I correct?

3 days after my email to Davis support and no response. The disdain they show for their customers, many of whom will have spent £1k, often significantly more, on their kit is amazing.
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Defenderdogs wrote: Fri 03 Dec 2021 7:11 pm Thanks Mark. My problem would be solved were Cumulus able to pick up my historical data from my console/data logger account but I think that it's only possible to pull in the weatherlink.com history from a WLL based account, am I correct?
Correct, the VP2 data uses the old v1 API and Cumulus uses the v2 API for WLL data.
Defenderdogs

Post by Defenderdogs »

Davis just got back to me, I quote “Unfortunately you can not merge the two accounts into one. The best thing to do is what you are doing. Keep both stations under that one username and then switch the Pro subscription back and forth when you want to see the historic data.”

Am I alone in finding it truly staggering that anyone who “upgrades” from a console to a WeatherLink live effectively loses their historic data unless they manually switch accounts?

Mark, do you have any concrete examples of times they have done the migration between accounts? I am disinclined to let them get away with this and would feel the same had I invested far less in their products, so would be delighted to point this out to them.
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Sorry, the examples I heard about (two iirc) were in the fairly early days of the WLL. I think it involved a developer going in and hacking around with their databases so that is not a sustainable model for them. A shame they have not invested in a tool that allows you to export from a v1 station and import into a v2.