Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

New VP2 not detecting data logger

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
Gordon-Loomberah
Weather Station: Davis VP2 + Solar and UV
Operating System: Windows 10 home

New VP2 not detecting data logger

Post by Gordon-Loomberah »

My 10 year old VP2 has been retired, just being used for rainfall for the past few months, after ants killed most of the internals, UV turned most of the plastic to chalk, and lightning wrecked the anemometer years ago. I've finally been able to afford a new VP2, using my old UV and radiation sensors. All good and talking to the console.

However, the data logger does not seem to be recognised, I've had it in and out a number of times, but when going through console set-up, the baud rate page does not appear, indicating the data logger is not detected. Has there been a change in specs meaning a 10yo one wont work with a new VP2?

I'd like to get it operating again soon, as the VP2 wont talk to Cumulus without the logger.

TIA.

EDIT: I've found a procedure on the Davis website to reinitialise the data logger, but after doing that it now tells me it is an incompatible logger.
Loomberah Weather: http://gunagulla.com
PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Re: New VP2 not detecting data logger

Post by PaulMy »

Hi,
That sounds like the green-dot logger issue, and some very good information here https://www.manula.com/manuals/pws/davi ... ot-loggers
Green dot loggers are fully backwards compatible, ie they can be used on VP1, VP2 and Vue consoles of any age.

But attempts to use a non-green-dot logger on recently manufactured Vue and VP2 consoles will result in an ‘Incompatible logger’ error and the console will not boot fully until the logger is removed. Regrettably this means that any logger originally bought with a VP1 station or indeed any pre-green-dot Davis Vantage station will not be compatible with a new VP2/Vue station and so anyone seeking to upgrade from an older Davis station to a new VP2 or Vue station would need also to buy a new logger.
Before buying a new Davis USB/serial green-dot logger consider some other options - i.e. Weatherlink Live or WiFiLogger

Enjoy,
Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www. komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

Cross-posted with Paul...

The older data loggers are not compatible with newer consoles - search for "green dot logger" on the WX forum for the full sad story of how Davis shot themselves in the foot!

So I'm afraid you will need a new logger as well. If you are in the US, then you could try Davis and see if they will give you a discount on a trade-in?

Otherwise, a new Davis or third party logger is required - all the third party ones have been "green dot" compatible since Davis changed the standard!
Gordon-Loomberah
Weather Station: Davis VP2 + Solar and UV
Operating System: Windows 10 home

Post by Gordon-Loomberah »

Thanks guys, it does indeed seem I'm a green dot victim!

I've just ordered a new logger, so I should be back in business in a week or so. :)
Loomberah Weather: http://gunagulla.com