Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Peak Gust Missed

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
hemmits
Weather Station: Davis Pro 2
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Peak Gust Missed

Post by hemmits »

alexlc13 wrote: Sat 28 Aug 2021 1:45 pm I forgot I have a wind multiplier set. :bash: That's why it's higher. I need coffee.

But then I guess the two days where I said Cumulus got the peak gust right would be days where the actual peak gust was missed?
That would be my guess. If you have a peak wind multiplier set, then Cumulus' peak wind should always be higher than the console. If it was missed, then they would be the same or potentially lower. Not to say that it wasn't missed earlier as one would have to go back through and check the peak wind by applying the multiplier manually to the console readings and then compare with what Cumulus had.
AberDino
Weather Station: Davis Vue
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by AberDino »

Just noticed today that my Cumulus MX (v3.13.6 b3152) missed today's peak gust. The Vue console and WeatherLink both report 40mph, while Cumulus MX reports 37mph (see attachments). I can't say I've noticed this issue before.

Cumulus MX is configured to use the LOOP2 packets, the log interval is set to 1 minute and the Davis Logger interval is set to match the Cumulus MX interval. The station clock is synchronised with the computer clock every four hours. The disconnect period to allow the upload to weatherlink.com is 10 seconds. The peak wind gust time is 10 minutes.

Any ideas why this might be happening?

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

Can you post the log file covering that period please.

As you say, if you have loop2 enabled MX should pick up any missed "live" gusts from the loop2 data - if you MX gust period is set to 10 minutes of less, which you say yours is.
AberDino

Post by AberDino »

Hi Mark,

I didn't have any logging enabled, and I presume the monthly log file is of little to no use to you, so I've now activated 'debug logging' and 'data logging' and we'll see what happens, as winds speeds here are predicted to be rising again during the day.

Thanks,

Pieter
Mapantz
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 11 x64

Post by Mapantz »

For the first time, CMX also missed my peak gust this morning.

We had quite a severe morning here, as I was watching the console, I hit 55mph multiple times. CMX recorded the first one at 8:03am. However, the console hit 56mph at 8:13am, but CMX didn't record it.
AberDino

Post by AberDino »

Hi Mark,

Please find log file attached as requested. Couple of points to note:
  • As per a previous post, I had a period with a faulty outdoor humidity sensor, leading to erroneous dew point values etc., so I ended up removing the outdoor humidity values and associated values such as dew point, apparent temperature, etc. When Cumulus MX starts up, it complains about the lines I've modified ("Input string was not in a correct format"). Would it be better to enter zeros rather than blanks? There are 15830 incorrect lines, so I've stripped out all but two from the attached log file ;) .
  • The log file revealed a misconfiguration with the extra web files, which I have since corrected.
  • From the log file, it appears that, although the LOOP2 data packet is good, in all cases the 10-min gust value is 0, so either the data is interpreted incorrectly or the logger is actually sending a 10-min gust value of 0. Perhaps somebody else on the same version of Cumulus MX with a WeatherLinkIP data logger is able to check this in their log file?
Thanks in advance for your help, and let me know if I can assist with any further troubleshooting.

Pieter
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Great, that helps a lot, I have found the problem in the MX code, looks like I commented out the fetching of the 10 minute gust speed from loop2 in error some time ago! :bash:

Edit: In build 3120 - v3.10.3

It will be fixed in the next release.
AberDino

Post by AberDino »

Excellent, much appreciated, thank you Mark!

With regards to the monthly log files which I have manually edited ("Input string was not in a correct format"), should I leave as is (blanks) or would you recommend I do something different?

Thanks,

Pieter
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Some values in the monthly log files are mandatory - up to field 15 (Wind Latest) need to have a value. From Wind Chill onwards you can leave the field empty.
AberDino

Post by AberDino »

Perfect, thank you for the clarification :) .