Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Cumulus Zero Readings after WLL Reset

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
Mperor
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus and WLL
Operating System: Win Server 2016 on ESXi

Cumulus Zero Readings after WLL Reset

Post by Mperor »

Interesting thing I've had happen a couple times. So... after running for a long while my WLL sometimes starts to 'wig out'. That is, it'll lose connection to my wifi for an hour or 2, reconnect for a few minutes, then disconnect again, repeat. It will do that until I reboot the WLL by pulling batteries/power and then plugging it back in.

What I did notice is that if I have Cumulus running during the reset, when the WLL first boots I get 0 readings for just about everything for a few seconds; Humidity, Temp, Dewpoint, Barometer (which gets filtered as a spike), etc. The rough part is, Cumulus logs those as legit readings, and I get to go sleuthing through my data to correct everything. :groan: (0% humidity seems a bit dry... )

So, obviously next time I do this I'll remember to shut down Cumulus (or do a full backup first)... but was wondering if others have seen this. I haven't bothered to repeat the process to see if it'll happen to me a 3rd time.

Also, anyone have experience with WLL over wired ethernet and if it seems more reliable vs. wireless. I do have a solid Ubiquiti WiFi. Other devices are not disconnecting like my WLL. Interestingly enough, my AirLink has never had an issue... and that's connected to my outdoor WAP.
PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Re: Cumulus Zero Readings after WLL Reset

Post by PaulMy »

Hi,
Have you checked the Health Data on Weatherlink.com? Not sure if it will be helpful but it will give you some information. From WL.com select settings (wrench icon on upper-right), select Health Data

Yes, good to have good backups. The CumulusMX daily and at-startup provide basic backups of the current log and some other data but are not a replacement to good, current, and full backup.

Have you used CumulusMX Spike removal to avoid bogus data?

Enjoy,
Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www. komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm

Mperor
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus and WLL
Operating System: Win Server 2016 on ESXi

Post by Mperor »

Oh interesting, I never knew they had a health data tab on Weatherlink site. That's pretty cool. Thanks! Next time I have that issue with my WLL I'll check it out more closely.

To be honest, I haven't used the spike removal much. This is the first couple times I've ever had bad data (knocks on wood). Davis stuff has always been very solid for me. I'll poke around in there more with the spike removal. Also, I probably should start doing regular backups of the data every few minutes. It would make it MUCH easier to restore and not potentially lose a whole day of data.
PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Post by PaulMy »

Also, I probably should start doing regular backups of the data every few minutes. It would make it MUCH easier to restore and not potentially lose a whole day of data.
Often several ways to do things...
With a weatherlink.com paid Pro subscription account CumulusMX can be rewound to before the data error and then a restart would get the logged data from weatherlink.com.

Enjoy,
Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www. komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm