Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Trying to change Airlink from indoor to outdoor

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
hahniv
Weather Station: Davis VP2
Operating System: Mac OS 10.14.6

Trying to change Airlink from indoor to outdoor

Post by hahniv »

I just got my Airlink a few days ago. I first set it up for indoors. After much fumbling around I got it working on CMX. I've decided to put it outdoors, may get another for indoors later but for now it's outdoors. It is set to outdoors on WLL. I am not using WLL to feed CMX that is being done through the serial connection from the console data logger. WLL is feeding WeatherDisaplay. I've plugged in all the number but it isn't switching, in fact the .ini file is showing both indoor and outdoor even after I went in and edited out the indoor stuff. Attached is the setup screen. Station ID has never populated but indoor ran without it. In the terminal output window after connected to station if says "Failed to discover any Airlink devices" and then on the last line before "Normal running" it says, "Missing Airlink WeatherLink API station ID in the cumulus.ini file" which it was doing that when indoor was working. I don't know if it is searching for new Airlink devices and didn't find any or it can't find any devices at all. Here is the .ini file, I've shorten the Api stuff.

[AirLink]
IsWllNode=0
WLv2ApiKey=ees98m. . .
WLv2ApiSecret=o3yr. . .
AutoUpdateIpAddress=0
In-Enabled=0
In-IPAddress=192.168.1.147
In-WLStationId=-1
In-Hostname=airlink-100775
Out-Enabled=1
Out-IPAddress=192.168.1.147
Out-WLStationId=-1
Out-Hostname=airlink-100775
AQIformula=0

Any ideas on how to switch it to outdoors beside telling me I was an idiot for setting up indoors to begin with. :-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Davis VP2
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
Cumulus 3.24.2 build 3235
ConligWX
Weather Station: Davis vPro2+ w/DFARS + AirLink
Operating System: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS

Re: Trying to change Airlink from indoor to outdoor

Post by ConligWX »

try changing the IP:

Code: Select all

In-IPAddress=192.168.1.147
to

In-IPAddress=0.0.0.0
Regards Simon

https://www.conligwx.org - @conligwx
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus with Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • Davis AirLink • PurpleAir •

PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Post by PaulMy »

Hi,
You set up the Inside or Outside in your Weatherlink App, Airlink settings, Environment, select Outside.
And no, not I to call anyone names... I had mine as Inside at first as well.

For my settings with CumulusMX on WiFiLogger so not a node on WLL, I have Settings, Extra sensor settings, Davis AirLink, and entered the Weatherlink API key and Secret. Enable outdoor AirLink, Fill in IP address and AirLink Hostname and Station ID.

Enjoy,
Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www. komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm

hahniv

Post by hahniv »

I've switched WLL from indoor to Outdoors and it is reporting it correctly as outdoors so that is working correctly.

I've edited my .ini file with a virgin Airlink section from the .ini file from my Mac box which is before I had an Airlink so I copied and pasted that into the Linux .ini file. I am no longer getting any reference to Airlink in the terminal startup dialog nor are there any settings in the Extra Sensor settings dashboard.

I moved the virgin AirLinkFileHeader.txt and airlink.html from the Mac box to the Linux box. Yet when I go to the Extra senosors / AirLink Sensors page I'm still seeing the Old In data. Where is this stored at? I want to get back to the default and start over. Once I see a blank AirLink Sensors page I'll try setting up again as an Outdoor sensor matching what the WLL is now set at.
Davis VP2
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
PaulMy

Post by PaulMy »

I am a little confused with the mentioning of WLL. There is no indoor or outdoor settings for WLL. The Weatherlink Live can be selected as a station, and the AirLink can be installed as an indoor or an outdoor device, and either as standalone or a node to a WLL station.

However there are different settings for VP2 and WLL stations, and depending what station you select then the appropriate related settings will be available. The Extra sensor settings for the Airlink are different when selecting a WLL compared to a VP2?vue station.

I would think the best way for the settings is in the Dashboard settings, rather than through the Cumulus.ini, as the settings will then be in sync.

Enjoy,
Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+

hahniv

Post by hahniv »

Sorry it's the Airlink station that is a node on WLL so I should have said AirLink instead of WLL. As always I try to first set things in the Dashboard setting and when that doesn't work I go to the .ini file. I"m not shy about going into the .ini file because of my experience with WeatherDisplay which you need to do lots of .ini editing. I use Textwrangler on the Mac because it's more than a basic text editor, it's designed for things like .ini files.

I believe the AirLink station has been cleared from my CMX installation but it is still showing Indoor data for 1 min, 1 hr, and 3hr. Only setting that could be legit would be the 24 hr because it hasn't been that long since I"ve cleared Airlink from my system. I don't want to try to reinstall until I've cleared the indoor data. Is this coming from the month files? Except why would it still be showing the less than 24hr settings? Is there a .dll file or something else that I can replace with a pre AirLink version of it so I can start over?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Davis VP2
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
PaulMy

Post by PaulMy »

Sorry I can't comment or suggest on .dll and presume you know that any editing in Cumulus.ini while CumulusMX is running will be replaced when CumulusMX is shut down, therefore the editing in the Dashboard settings which can only be done while CumulusMX is running.

What does your \dataAirlink202102log.txt show? Inside (I think data on the left half) or Outside (data on the right half)?

Enjoy,
Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+

mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

I think you need to show a screen shot of your AirLink settings screen.
hahniv

Post by hahniv »

I am familiar with editing .ini files (WeatherDisplay) I never edit an .ini file while the program is running. I didn't know about the AirLink202103log.txt file. I see it isn't in the Mac data folder which is pre AirLInk, so if I toss it would that flush AirLink from my Linux CMX so I can start over?

I'm not sure if you mean the AirLink settings screen in CMX or WLL. On CMX everything is blank, ready to be setup again. I've attached a screen shot of setup in the WLL app. I've also attached the log file.
Davis VP2
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
hahniv

Post by hahniv »

This is a complete mystery to me. I have renamed the AirLInk202103Log.txt file so it isn't seen by CXM. Data still there. I made a copy, deleted all the data so it's a blank canvas, corrected to it's proper name. Data still there. Where is it getting the data for the Extra Sensors / AirLink Sensors? All of it is wrong. The setup menu is still blank, no sensor, no Airlink information. Airlink part of the .ini file is blank. Where else could the data be stored?

[AirLink]
WLv2ApiKey=
WLv2ApiSecret=
AutoUpdateIpAddress=1
In-Enabled=0
In-IPAddress=0.0.0.0
In-IsNode=0
In-WLStationId=-1
In-Hostname=
Out-Enabled=0
Out-IPAddress=0.0.0.0
Out-IsNode=0
Out-WLStationId=-1
Out-Hostname=
AQIformula=0
Davis VP2
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

No need to fiddle with data files. The *only* place Cumulus gets the configuration from to enable the AirLink is from your Cumulus.ini file.

Can you post the MXdiags files please.
hahniv

Post by hahniv »

Here's the Mxdiags folder
Davis VP2
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

I looked at the last two logs, there is no attempt at communication with the AirLink in those logs. So it cannot be displaying any data.

You do have some issues though...

You console clock is out, which is forcing a full logger download at each MX start...

Console clock: Console is 328 seconds adrift but automatic setting is disabled - you should set the clock manually.
Next the serial connection is VERY unreliable, which is suspicious.

I suspect you have two copies of MX running. One is running background perhaps, or as a service. They are fighting for the serial port, and it is the background copy you are seeing the dashboard for that has the AirLink.

Please check your process list.
hahniv

Post by hahniv »

Hummm, OK, I restarted the computer which should take care of any extra copies running. That shouldn't happen because Settings / Program settings / Program General Options I have Stop second instance checked. The good news is that my Airlink sensors page is now clear.

It does go through a "Downloading Archive Data" routine each time but only once in a while it gives a processed readout. Most of the time it prints out the line and then it goes to the next without the download showing the percent. This time it did. The screen dialog is below. It always does it twice, does that mean I've still got 2 running? On the Console clock, where do I set the Console clock manually? Is that within CMX or are you talking about the computers clock? It is displaying the correct time.

Connected to station
3/8/2021 4:50:06 AM
Type Ctrl-C to terminate
Downloading Archive Data
- Downloading entire logger contents!
- processed 100 %
Downloading Archive Data
- Downloading entire logger contents!
- processed 100 %
Normal running
Davis VP2
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

No, it does the download twice because it can take some time to process if it contains a lot of data. The second download catches any additional logger records that may have been added during that processing.

And yes, the stop second instance should prevent two copies running. Mystery, but at least it is working now.