Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Trying to converter WD files to Cumulus

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
hahniv
Weather Station: Davis VP2
Operating System: Mac OS 10.14.6

Trying to converter WD files to Cumulus

Post by hahniv »

I'm new to the Cumulus world. Just got it up and going a few days ago. So far I'm impressed, enough to want to convert my Weatherdisplay (WD) dating back to 2004. I'm on a Mac OS 10.14.6, Davis VP2pro WD 10.37-359 (latest Mac build). I've also got a windoze 10 machine that I've been industrially converting my WD files using the WD to Cumulus converter utility. It takes about 13 mins a year to convert. I've broken it down to months from 04 to 20, it's currently crunching June but I'll be stopping there until I can confirm it's going to work. I know I should have just done one file and tested but it was late afternoon, just got it up and going and let it run overnight.

My first native data from Cumulus starts 21/2/21. Files I'm using for testing Jan and complete Feb from WD. I first updated February, in the Data log viewer it is showing data from 1/02/21 00:00 to current date and time. I've also added January 21 to have the complete year. in the Data log viewer it shows the entire month of January and February to this point. Seems like it is working but when I go to reports, Dayfile viewer/editor it is only showing 2/21 to 2/24. In NOAA Monthly Report it is only showing 21-24 and no January. I've loaded the report and (Re)Generate Report with the same result.

The readme file for the converter makes reference to, "you can use the dayfile.txt editor in Cumulus to create the entries in dayfile.txt (using 'create missing')". I can't find that option in the Data Logs / Dayfile menu. Only options are to Refresh and if you select a line Edit or Delete that line.

Is it possible that none of the newly placed data files get seen by Cumulus until the midnight refresh? That would be wonderful and I guess I will know tomorrow if that's the case. I may be jumping the gun by not waiting until tomorrow but I've stopped the conversion process until I can get the files working. I really like the look and feel of Cumulus. I can't dump WD because it is integrated into my home automation system. If I can get my historical data into Cumulus I can use it as data backup and as the data viewer. I will be using it as a viewer from this day forward but I'd love to also have the historical data. I've attached the native February file-- and converted complete February file. I zipped the converted file because it was rather large (4.2mb) Converted looks like it should work but I've only been with this a few days so what do I know. :-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Davis VP2
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
Cumulus 3.24.2 build 3235
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Re: Trying to converter WD files to Cumulus

Post by mcrossley »

Ah! The "create missing" function has yet to be implemented in Cumulus MX. :(

You would have to install Cumulus 1 (Windows only) and copy your log files over to the C1 folder. You do not need to configure your weather station etc. just set the units correctly. Just go into the day file editor and use the create missing function. Then you can copy there resulting dayfile back over to your MX install.
hahniv

Post by hahniv »

OK, so it will create a dayfile for each month or is that just for the current month? Or is the dayfile an accumulation of all the days throughout the years? If so what would be the best way to get all the back data into the dayfile? My data goes back to 8/2004. Do it all at once or can I work on it a bit at a time? Should I work backwards, forwards or does it matter? I've only got 5 days in the file so I don't have much history to work with. :-) There's no problem putting C1 on my windoze machine.
Davis VP2
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Post by water01 »

The dayfile.txt is every day of data since you started, therefore to get to the point where it will include all your data you need to convert all your data and then present it to Cumulus 1.
David
hahniv

Post by hahniv »

Ah! great, so the, "create missing" combines all the files/days into the dayfile. I see said the blind man :-) Fantastic, I will soldier on with my conversion process. I'm half way there. Thanks all for the information.

Just thought of one more question. When I've created the dayfile in Cumulus 1 and move it over to CumulusMX, do I only have to move the newly created dayfile or should I move all the monthly data files over also?
Davis VP2
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
hahniv

Post by hahniv »

I've converted all the files, only 5 out of 198 came back with errors which were easily corrected and reconverted coming back error free. Ran it through Cumulus 1 dayfile, create missing, which processed 5867 entries so now my dayfile goes back to 7/2004. My poor peecee has been crunching numbers for a couple of days now. I've regenerated NOAA yearly reports for all the years. None of the historical records have come through. I've regenerated a few NOAA monthly reports but those don't seem to be generating any historical records either. I've only done a few, enough to see if that made a difference. If I look at the year it is only showing February numbers. Isn't showing any of the rain I got in January, shows rain for the year at 0. Haven't had any in Feb, should be showing 1.11 for the year. It does show the rain in the January NOAA report. Is there somewhere to force it to create historical records? Does that need to be done over on Cumulus1. It's done a great job of generating the Yearly reports and the few monthly that I've done. I'd love to get historical records if possible.
Davis VP2
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

You will have to use the historical records editors from the interface. If you need to do all of them it will be a bit painful, it was really designed for editing the odd one.

They will pull the records from the dayfile and monthly files (yours should be the same), but you have to cut and paste those values into the records fields (or re-type them).

Again, it's an area of migrating data that needs improving, I may move it up the ToDo list.
hahniv

Post by hahniv »

Thanks for the reply. Yes it will be a tedious process, guess I'll work on it when I have nothing else to do :) Interestedly enough the "Charts" takes in all the data. Thanks again.
Davis VP2
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon