Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Strange Entry in diagnostic log.

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
Nottub
Weather Station: Davis VP2 (Cabled)
Operating System: RPi 4 (Buster)

Strange Entry in diagnostic log.

Post by Nottub »

Two issues today that have occurred:

1) Since 13:30 today the 'Wind Chill', 'Heat Index' and 'Temperature' have been the same values despite the wind freshening. I have looked into the diagnostic log but couldn't spot an issue. Weatherlink shows different values, more what I would expect. however.

2) There are some strange entries in the diagnostic Log which worry me (see line 39258 onwards in the attached log file).

So still have the matching Temperature, Heat Index and windchill values that I can't resolve though. Some corruption to a file perhaps? I did have to replace the CumulusMX.ini file tonight, and the cumulusmx.service file.

Still looking into the connection issue which I think I have found. Relates to a Digital Isolator connected between the Pi and USB lead from the VP2 console. I was having rogue 'N' readings from the annemometer suspected to be ground loop issues. The Isolator is bulky and I suspect weighting down on the USM socket on the Pi causing an intermittent connection. Raising the Isolator and taking pressure off the connection seemed to help.

Thanks again

Nottub
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Re: Strange Entry in diagnostic log.

Post by freddie »

There are certain temperatures where wind chill is equal to temperature - from memory it is when temperature is > 10 Celsius. Perhaps this is true of heat index too, for certain wind speeds and humidities.

I haven't looked at your diags log - I'll do that in the morning.
Freddie
Nottub
Weather Station: Davis VP2 (Cabled)
Operating System: RPi 4 (Buster)

Post by Nottub »

Looks like you could be right Freddie.

At the time the wind chill moved from being below the temperature to matching the temperature was when the temperature reached exactly 10°c.

Something I haven't spotted before. However I've only used Cumulus since mid December, and we haven't had too many days yet where we've reached such a value.

Nottub
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

It looks like you lost your internet connection...

2021-02-19 02:47:42.006 Realtime[9]: Error reconnecting ftp server - Could not resolve host 'home155058033.1and1-data.host'

And then WeatherUnderground started responding to the data uploads with a web page!

2021-02-19 03:00:00.403 WU Response: OK: <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html> ....

The connection recovered after about an hour and 13 mins...

2021-02-19 04:13:37.793 Realtime[97]: Uploading - realtimegauges.txt