Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Switch from Console to WLL

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
iandrews
Weather Station: Davis Pro2
Operating System: Windows 2012R2

Re: Switch from Console to WLL

Post by iandrews »

Ok, thanks for locking / checking. Anyway, I like your wind direction and gust "sausage" chart which only shows the ave bearing with gust speed, assume that's done with custom script / SQL.

Assume my wind chart didn't show 0mph for speed at the time (13:00 it showed 0.8mph) as (if I read the wiki correctly) it uses a 10min average from the console (well WLL) for that wind line.

These are the other setting within Cumulus, are they what should be used for a Davis WLL:
settings.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
iandrews

Post by iandrews »

Just for info, noticed another couple of differences today with Solar / UV. It seems the WLL isn't reporting anything below 7wm2 (the console was 5), and UV is now only 0.6 and above (console was 0.5).

Also, just has a very heavy rain shower, Cumulus the WLL is attached to recorded a rain rate of 56.8 mm/h while the console version was 40.4 mm/hr, assume this is because of the WLL 2.5sec rain update interval.
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

Yes, the WLL seems to use a 7W/m2 cutoff.

The rain is definitely wrong, have you set the correct bucket size under the ISS advanced settings?
iandrews

Post by iandrews »

Yep, just doubled checked and it's set to 0.2mm in Weatherlink live.

Both console and WLL show the same amount of rain today (11.4mm).

Console:
Raincon.JPG

WLL
rainwll.JPG

Couple of things it may be, just noticed the console is maybe about 30 secs fast. Also the console gets its rain via the "relay" device (that merges the IIS and Sun/UV data), and also Cumulus gets its data from the console via Meteobridge, so maybe any one of those things could have caused it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Ah, sorry, you were talking rain rate, I didn't read it carefully enough. That is odd, because iirc the rain rate is calculated and sent by the ISS, so it should be the same for both of them. It could be that it just missed the peak values from the console though - especially if it is coming via a meteobridge (I'm not a fan!)
iandrews

Post by iandrews »

The Meteobridge (the flashed travel router option) seems to have work quite well for me over the last 5 or so years. At the time it was one of the only ways to have the console away (not plugged into) the pc running Cumulus without getting the quite expensive Davis IP logger.

Now there are many options including running Cumulus on a small Pi, 3rd party (wi-fi) loggers, and of course the WLL.
iandrews

Post by iandrews »

So.... I switched my main Cumulus install over to the WLL today. I stopped the temporary install I had been running, and then on the main install set the station type to the WLL, changed the IP under the TCP/IP settings from the Meteobridge to the WLL, and set the relevant ID's for the sensors. Restarted and all started up ok, and data looked ok.

However I have just looked at my charts now, and I notice that Wind Gust has been 0 since this morning after I restarted after the changes. Wind Speed is ok, but Gust is 0.
NoWindGust.JPG
I have renamed the cumulus folder, and put back a copy of the folder I took this morning before the changes and restarted, and it's read all the logged data from the console (as I would expect), and the graphs do show a Gust speed for that data, and a Gust for the data since the restart about 10 mins ago is also now showing.

Any ideas?
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Not without seeing the MXdiags log files, preferably with debug logging switched on I'm afraid.
iandrews

Post by iandrews »

That's what I thought you would say, but thought I would ask in case it was a known issue.

Anyway, I have sorted it. I switched on debug, and looked in the logs, and kept seeing:

2021-02-14 11:19:26.046 ERROR: No broadcast data received from the WLL for 30 seconds

As other data was ok I assumed this must be the "real time" wind data that gets multicast from the WLL on port 22222. I'm running on Windows server, so I went into the Firewall config and allowed inbound connection udp - port 22222, and now it works (the test server I was using to test the WLL had a firewall rule to allow any UDP ports from something else I had been doing ages ago, so that's why that worked ok).

So, must assume that without this open port data comes in ok via the http request that Cumulus makes, but you must read the Gust data from the real time multicast data.
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Yes most of the wind and rain data comes from the mulicasts on 22222.