Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

My first RPi Question

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
Nottub
Weather Station: Davis VP2 (Cabled)
Operating System: RPi 4 (Buster)

My first RPi Question

Post by Nottub »

Ok so Im using a gui with my Pi and using a headless set up and logging in via a Remote Desktop Connection from my Windows PC, I've downloaded the latest version of CumulusMX into the Downloads folder in Pi. I have come across two issues/ areas for clarification:

1) I cant extract the files from the Download Folder due to a permission issue. 'Can't perform extraction!' You don't have the right permissions to extract the files to the directory "/home/pi/CumulusMX". Not sure if its the Remote Desktop Connection restricting my permissions. Would it work if:
  • I extracted them with the card in the PC then returned it to the Pi?
or
  • I temporarily connected up to a monitor and keyboard and did it that way

2) Once I do manage to get them in to the right folder how do I actually start CumulusMX? (is it Mono that allows the .exe files to be read and executed?)

I know these are elementary questions but please bear with me.

Thanks

Nottub
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Re: My first RPi Question

Post by freddie »

1) You need to check the user you are using to unzip the files is the same as the owner of the directory/folder you are unzipping into.

2) Mono is the thing (abstraction layer) that allows you to run Windows executables. Look at the instructions to see how to start it.
Freddie
Nottub

Post by Nottub »

Thanks Freddie,
I'll see if I can find out about permissions to see if that is the issue. I think it probably is, as I'm using a Remote Desktop to access the Pi.

WRT mono, I hadn't seen any guide for a simpleton like me, but I had summised that that's what it was for. Need to read up how to use it to open Cumulus.

Thanks for your very quick response.

Happy New Year

Nottub
galfert
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1000
Operating System: Mint, Raspberry Pi OS, Synology

Post by galfert »

What operating system are you running on the Pi? Raspberry Pi OS or Ubuntu?
What username are you using to sign into the Pi?
You mentioned Remote Desktop Connection... Is it really RDP or are you using VNC?

Which Pi are you using? Zero, 1, 2, 3, 4?

Have your tried to follow this guide?
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=18766

Connecting a monitor, keyboard and mouse will not change any permission issues.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge RPI | CumulusMX on Synology NAS
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Tele-Pole flag pole
Nottub

Post by Nottub »

galfert wrote: Thu 31 Dec 2020 3:28 pm What operating system are you running on the Pi? Raspberry Pi OS or Ubuntu?
What username are you using to sign into the Pi?
You mentioned Remote Desktop Connection... Is it really RDP or are you using VNC?

Which Pi are you using? Zero, 1, 2, 3, 4?

Have your tried to follow this guide?
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=18766

Connecting a monitor, keyboard and mouse will not change any permission issues.
Hi Galfert,

To answer your questions:

The OS is Raspberry Pi OS,
Username im using is the dfault one 'pi',
Im definately using the Windows Remote Desktop Connection, having installed 'xrdp' on the pi,
As regards the guide, I was following what was shown on the Cumulus WIKI page, although I will check this topic out,

Sorry to be a pain but I like to try and understand where i'm going wrong. Sometimes it's just a leap of faith.

Thanks again

Nottub
Nottub

Post by Nottub »

galfert, thank you :clap: .

Your instructions worked like a charm.

Thank you for putting this together :ugeek: .

I can now tear into it and check it out before finally moving my 'Cumulus.ini', contents of my 'Data' folder and the contents of the 'Reports' folders across. :mrgreen:

I'm going to read it through again to make sense of each step.

Thank you again.

Nottub
Nottub

Post by Nottub »

Galfert,
Taking this forward, is there an easy way to transfer in my data files etc?

and

What command is needed if I wanted to install/ run Cumulus from a separate SSD drive?

I presume items 4, 5 and 6 would need to change?

Thank you

Nottub
galfert

Post by galfert »

Glad my instructions were helpful. I tried really hard to make the instructions as useful as possible to reach more people. There are certainly more complexities that I could have included to do more customization but that then becomes more information to digest.

I think you are going about it the right way to not just follow the steps but to try and understand what the purpose of each step is. When you understand the "why" of each step then allows you to make changes to suit your needs. Certainly moving the Cumulus MX folder to a different location is possible, as you are wanting to do and have it on an SSD.

But before I get into discussing the particulars of moving to an SSD you should know that it is now possible to set up a Pi that boots from SSD and doesn't have an SD card. Certainly if you go about it this way then there is no need to make any modifications as everything is on the SSD. So this is but one solution.

Yes, you are correct that steps 4, 5, and 6 would need to be modified to reference the SSD location. But not necessarily if you mount the SSD so that the mount point is in your home folder or you mount to /mnt and then create a symbolic link. Linux allows you to mount a drive or a directory in another drive anywhere you want. If you do it this way then /home/username/CumulusMX can be an SSD location while /home/username is on the SD card. If done in this manner then no modification of steps 4, 5, and 6 are required.

Regarding the mounting of the SSD, the RPI OS will automatically do an auto-mount, and present the drive under /media/pi/<hard-drive-label> and although that can be helpful to a novice user it is not going to work for launching Cumulus MX as a service if the CumulusMX folder is off on a hard drive that is being auto-mounted...because it only mounts when you log in. Therefore it is necessary to use fstab to permanently mount the hard drive. The typical location to mount a hard drive is /mnt and then if you wanted you could have a symbolic link to CumulusMX on the SSD over to /home/username/CumulusMX. Or if you prefer to not do the symbolic link then you could just change the reference path in steps 4, 5, and 6. Here are some simple instructions on working with fstab an the Pi. You should read some other write-ups on using fstab to understand it better...or not...up to you:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... storage.md

So there you have it ....two solutions to move the CumulusMX folder to a hard drive (mounting or direct OS install with no SD card)

I do recommend that if you are mounting an external drive that it be formatted as ext4. Even though Linux can read/write to NTFS and other partition types, it is going to perform better and be better protected by the journaling functions of ext4 (better suited for power loss), less chance of file corruption, faster read/write performance, and you'll be able to use Linux file system permissions, and there are some other benefits.

To move your your existing Cumulus MX install over to the Pi you should just treat it like you would any other upgrade that you do to Cumulus MX. Just start with your old CumulusMX folder and then (after making a backup) copy over the new unzipped version...and then if required bring over any customizations you have done if any.
Tele-Pole flag pole
Nottub

Post by Nottub »

galfert wrote: Thu 31 Dec 2020 8:11 pm Glad my instructions were helpful. I tried really hard to make the instructions as useful as possible to reach more people. There are certainly more complexities that I could have included to do more customization but that then becomes more information to digest.

I think you are going about it the right way to not just follow the steps but to try and understand what the purpose of each step is. When you understand the "why" of each step then allows you to make changes to suit your needs. Certainly moving the Cumulus MX folder to a different location is possible, as you are wanting to do and have it on an SSD.

But before I get into discussing the particulars of moving to an SSD you should know that it is now possible to set up a Pi that boots from SSD and doesn't have an SD card. Certainly if you go about it this way then there is no need to make any modifications as everything is on the SSD. So this is but one solution.

Yes, you are correct that steps 4, 5, and 6 would need to be modified to reference the SSD location. But not necessarily if you mount the SSD so that the mount point is in your home folder or you mount to /mnt and then create a symbolic link. Linux allows you to mount a drive or a directory in another drive anywhere you want. If you do it this way then /home/username/CumulusMX can be an SSD location while /home/username is on the SD card. If done in this manner then no modification of steps 4, 5, and 6 are required.

Regarding the mounting of the SSD, the RPI OS will automatically do an auto-mount, and present the drive under /media/pi/<hard-drive-label> and although that can be helpful to a novice user it is not going to work for launching Cumulus MX as a service if the CumulusMX folder is off on a hard drive that is being auto-mounted...because it only mounts when you log in. Therefore it is necessary to use fstab to permanently mount the hard drive. The typical location to mount a hard drive is /mnt and then if you wanted you could have a symbolic link to CumulusMX on the SSD over to /home/username/CumulusMX. Or if you prefer to not do the symbolic link then you could just change the reference path in steps 4, 5, and 6. Here are some simple instructions on working with fstab an the Pi. You should read some other write-ups on using fstab to understand it better...or not...up to you:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... storage.md

So there you have it ....two solutions to move the CumulusMX folder to a hard drive (mounting or direct OS install with no SD card)

I do recommend that if you are mounting an external drive that it be formatted as ext4. Even though Linux can read/write to NTFS and other partition types, it is going to perform better and be better protected by the journaling functions of ext4 (better suited for power loss), less chance of file corruption, faster read/write performance, and you'll be able to use Linux file system permissions, and there are some other benefits.

To move your your existing Cumulus MX install over to the Pi you should just treat it like you would any other upgrade that you do to Cumulus MX. Just start with your old CumulusMX folder and then (after making a backup) copy over the new unzipped version...and then if required bring over any customizations you have done if any.
Brilliant stuff galfert, not sure I grasp all of this. Maybe I'll read it through a few times to see what the best option is.
I'll probably be back with more questions very soon.

One question is, could I launch cmx manually from the SSD after the OS has loaded and mounted the SSD?

Thank you

Nottub
galfert

Post by galfert »

Yes if you run Cumulus MX manually then the CumulusMX folder can reside on the auto-mounted hard drive without needing to do fstab mounting. But that is no way to go. One power outage and you've lost data because Cumulus MX will not launch as a service. You've come so far to just launch manually.
Tele-Pole flag pole
Nottub

Post by Nottub »

Another quickie if I may.....

Finally got the new Raspberry Pi up and running (thanks galfert) and transferred some of my historic records across.

At the bottom of the screen is the 'page updated' text, which currently is not in the format I want. Can I change it? if so whereabouts?

Currently its MM/DD/YYYY and 3:45:00 PM, Id like to change it to DD/MM/YYY and 15:45:00.

I know its there somewhere.

Last night I was playing with VLC as built in to the Pi, and found a way of streaming my webcam to VLC, and taking snapshots. I can then use Cumulus to upload a specific named file to my web server. My Hikvision camera unfortunately timestamps every file so I can't link to them from my website as each has a different file name.

Thanks

Nottub
PaulMy
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus 24-Hour FARS
Operating System: Windows8 and Windows10

Post by PaulMy »

My Hikvision camera unfortunately timestamps every file so I can't link to them from my website as each has a different file name.
Have you looked at this for renaming to a fixed name?
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic ... #msg322649
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic ... #msg275231

My Hikvision failed a few years ago so I am no longer using this, but should still work.

Enjoy,
Paul
Davis Vantage Pro2+
C1 www.komokaweather.com/komokaweather-ca
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmx/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www.komokaweather.com/cumulusmxwll/index.htm /index.html /index.php
MX www. komokaweather.com/cumulusmx4/index.htm
Nottub

Post by Nottub »

PaulMy wrote: Sat 02 Jan 2021 7:02 pm
My Hikvision camera unfortunately timestamps every file so I can't link to them from my website as each has a different file name.
Have you looked at this for renaming to a fixed name?
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic ... #msg322649
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic ... #msg275231

My Hikvision failed a few years ago so I am no longer using this, but should still work.

Enjoy,
Paul
Wow, only just got the hang of getting my Pi running headless with my VP2 uploading through it. These posts you suggest take it to the next level. I may have to step back a bit to manage my expectations. Php, Cron jobs etc, where they would all sit how they would work, my just push me over the edge.

I'll revisit at some time because I want to either upload from the IP camera direct, and change the filenames remotely, or, in the short term, use the pi to snapshot using VLC.

Thanks for the links

Nottub
Phil23
Weather Station: Davis VP2+ & GW1000 (Standalone)
Operating System: Win10 Pro / rPi Buster

Post by Phil23 »

Have 2 Pi's here & did get MX on the rPi3 a few years back, but never got as far as moving my station to it.

Now the Win8 laptop is getting shaky & I've got 3 options.

An i7 laptop which had a dead HD & been reborn with an SSD & Win10, or one of the Pi's.
Have a 3 the 4 now.

Basically I got as far as setting up a VNC, got V3043 of MX running without a station & Also got SAMBA on it so I could access the CMX & downloads directories.

But coming from the Windows world, can someone briefly explain this....

Why is CMX installed in /home/pi/CumulusMX instead of just /CumulusMX????

From a Windows Users point of view I see that like installing to C:\Users\Phil\CumulusMX as opposed to the typical location of C:\CumulusMX.

I've got a pretty solid background in Windows & NTFS file Permissions & Domain based networks, but not so much in Linux.

Can this be answered in a few brief lines with Pros & Cons?

Thanks

Phil.
:Now: :Today/Yesterday:

Main Station Davis VP2+ Running Via Win10 Pro.
Secondary Stations, Ecowitt HP2551/GW1000 Via rPi 3 & 4 Running Buster GUI.
:Local Inverell Ecowitt Station: :Remote Ashford Ecowitt Station:
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

In the pre-built pi image I have installed it to /opt/CumulusMX

The /opt folder is a generally recommend location for additional user software.

But you can install it lots of different places. The home folder is convenient because you have permissions to it, and it is the default folder you are placed in when connecting to the pi.