Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Davis Vantage Pro2 with wireless wind sensors

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
martinu
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Raspberry Pi: Raspbian Stretch

Davis Vantage Pro2 with wireless wind sensors

Post by martinu »

Does anyone have any experience of a Davis Vantage Pro2 with wireless wind sensors?

I'm thinking of replacing my aging (and failing) Vantage Vue with a Vantage Pro2. The location for the rain/temp sensors will be a long way from the wind sensors (speed, direction), and both will be a long way from console, so a cable connection between the three is not possible.

If I get a wireless Pro2 https://www.weathershop.co.uk/shop/bran ... er-station and a Davis Wireless Solar-Powered Sensor Transmitter https://www.weathershop.co.uk/shop/davi ... ransmitter how does Cumulus see these (assuming I have a USB data logger in the console)? Are they seen as two separate devices (ie rain/temp/humidity and wind speed/direction) or are they seen as all one device (in the same way that the Vantaga Vue is)?

In other words, beyound changing the device type in Cumulus from Vue to Pro2, will I need to make any other changes in Cumulus? Ideally I'd like to keep the historic data from the Vue and have a reasonably seamless transition to the Pro2 data.

Am I correct in understanding that the data logger from the Vue console can be used in the Pro2 console?
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Re: Davis Vantage Pro2 with wireless wind sensors

Post by freddie »

I have this setup, and the merging of the data between wind and ISS is performed in the console. So CumulusMX doesn't even know that I have separate sender units for wind and temp/humidity/rainfall - it just connects to the VP2 and polls for the data.

I don't know the answer to your final question.
Freddie
martinu

Post by martinu »

Freddie, that answers the question perfectly. It's the assurance that I was looking for. I'll go ahead and order it.

As a matter of interest, do you know what variety of pole diameters can be used for attaching the anemometer? One conveniently high, securely-attached pole is the one for my TV aerial and satellite dish: it would be nice to mount the anemometer on that but it's a larger diameter than the standard pole that is supplied with the Vue (and probably the Pro2).
freddie

Post by freddie »

martinu wrote: Fri 11 Dec 2020 11:38 amAs a matter of interest, do you know what variety of pole diameters can be used for attaching the anemometer? One conveniently high, securely-attached pole is the one for my TV aerial and satellite dish: it would be nice to mount the anemometer on that but it's a larger diameter than the standard pole that is supplied with the Vue (and probably the Pro2).
The Davis installation guide says 32-44mm diameter (1.25 to 1.75 inches) using their supplied u-bolts. If you use larger u-bolts (not supplied) then a maximum diameter pole of 64mm (2.5 inches) can be used.
Freddie
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

The supplied U-bolts *just* about stretch to a 50mm pole if you bend them a bit.
prodata
Weather Station: VP2
Operating System: Windows - all flavours

Post by prodata »

mcrossley wrote: Fri 11 Dec 2020 2:23 pm The supplied U-bolts *just* about stretch to a 50mm pole if you bend them a bit.
+1.

The pole-mounting bracket does have space to accept wider U-bolts, but the problem is that wider U-bolts are often made from thicker grade steel rod, which doesn't then fit through the bracket's mounting holes. I guess you could carefully drill out the bracket a bit as one option. In the past, I have actually found wider U-bolts that are the same gauge as the standard ones, but you have to look carefully.

Re the same logger for Vue and VP2 consoles. Yes exactly the same logger will fit either, whether that's the older legacy USB logger or the more recent third-party WiFi Logger or Meteobridge Nano types.
John Dann
Prodata Weather Systems
Littleport, East Cambs, UK
http://www.weatherstations.co.uk
martinu

Post by martinu »

freddie wrote: Fri 11 Dec 2020 11:27 am I have this setup, and the merging of the data between wind and ISS is performed in the console. So CumulusMX doesn't even know that I have separate sender units for wind and temp/humidity/rainfall - it just connects to the VP2 and polls for the data.
Freddie, as a matter of interest what have you mounted your anemometer/wind vane unit on? I have a 2" steel pole securely attached to the gable end of my bungalow, lined up with the ridge in the roof, and this has the TV aerial and satellite dish fastened to it.

Is the anemometer unit or the wireless transmitter that it will be plugged into likely to affect TV reception - assuming it's not casting a "shadow" on the aerial/dish, obviously! Even with a bungalow, I'm going to need a longer ladder to get the anemometer above the level of the ridge tiles on the roof: with a standard 2-section telescopic ladder I can only get my head level with the ridge.

How critical is it to get the anemometer's rotational axes vertical? Is the wind vane likely to default to one direction if it's not level? The pole may or may not be perfectly vertical.
freddie

Post by freddie »

martinu wrote: Tue 15 Dec 2020 5:06 pm
freddie wrote: Fri 11 Dec 2020 11:27 am I have this setup, and the merging of the data between wind and ISS is performed in the console. So CumulusMX doesn't even know that I have separate sender units for wind and temp/humidity/rainfall - it just connects to the VP2 and polls for the data.
Freddie, as a matter of interest what have you mounted your anemometer/wind vane unit on? I have a 2" steel pole securely attached to the gable end of my bungalow, lined up with the ridge in the roof, and this has the TV aerial and satellite dish fastened to it.
I have a 3 metre 1.75 inch aluminium pole attached to the gable end of my house.
martinu wrote: Tue 15 Dec 2020 5:06 pm Is the anemometer unit or the wireless transmitter that it will be plugged into likely to affect TV reception - assuming it's not casting a "shadow" on the aerial/dish, obviously! Even with a bungalow, I'm going to need a longer ladder to get the anemometer above the level of the ridge tiles on the roof: with a standard 2-section telescopic ladder I can only get my head level with the ridge.
My wireless transmitter is about 30 feet away from the anemometer. You have a long cable attached to the anemometer so can position your wireless transmitter well away from your aerial and dish. In the past I have had my anemometer on the same pole as the aerial and never had a problem with reception.
martinu wrote: Tue 15 Dec 2020 5:06 pm How critical is it to get the anemometer's rotational axes vertical? Is the wind vane likely to default to one direction if it's not level? The pole may or may not be perfectly vertical.
I would think it will be a good idea to get it as vertical as possible - from the perspective of bearing wear. The anemometer part in particular will spin millions of times in its lifetime.
Freddie