Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Is there an Idiots Guide to MX installation Windows 10

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
GavinBaylis
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro
Operating System: Windows 10

Post by GavinBaylis »

I have searched to see if there is anything specific but no luck.

I've been uploading for well over 15years a simple text file to my website which is used by kite and windsurfers on the UK South Coast.

On my PC running Windows 10 I use the WeatherLink Software and have configured the htx file which produces the data below and is then uploaded by FTP every minute

The weather station is connected to my PC via Davis Weather Envoy & USB

I would like to ideally show a gauge displaying the live Wind direction and gusts so users (many don't understand that the wind direction is not constant) can see the wind shifts?

Do I simply download CumulusMXDist3086 and run the exe et voila, do I still run WeatherLink - is there an inbuilt FTP programme etc

Many thanks

Current Weather at : 10:13
Date 30/06/20
Wind Dir SW
Wind Dir 235
Two min average wind-speed mph 19.0
Two min high wind-speed mph: 25.0
Five min high wind-speed mph: 25.0
Ten min high wind-speed mph: 25.0
Highest Gust past 24hrs: 26.0 at 6:51
Wind Chill: 12.4 °C
Pressure: 1006.4 Falling Slowly
Temperature: 16.1 °C
Sunrise: 4:51
Sunset: 21:16
GavinBaylis

Re: Is there an Idiots Guide to MX installation Windows 10

Post by GavinBaylis »

Sorry for the above, I've now come across the Wiki main page

https://cumuluswiki.org/a/Main_Page

So still have a couple of questions as I'm sort of coming from the camp of "if it ain't broke" etc

Do I take it that you can't run Weatherlink and Cumulus at the same time?

And how easy would it be to replicate the data I already have but with the real time weather direction gauge or Ten Min Av Wind Direction ?

Also, I hope to try and get a more accurate reading/data of the av Wind Speed as the Highs are more accurate than the Davis generated av wind-speeds

Current Weather at : 10:13
Date 30/06/20
Wind Dir SW
Wind Dir 235
Two min average wind-speed mph 19.0
Two min high wind-speed mph: 25.0
Five min high wind-speed mph: 25.0
Ten min high wind-speed mph: 25.0
Highest Gust past 24hrs: 26.0 at 6:51
Wind Chill: 12.4 °C
Pressure: 1006.4 Falling Slowly
Temperature: 16.1 °C
Sunrise: 4:51
Sunset: 21:16
sfws
Weather Station: Chas O, Maplin N96FY, N25FR
Operating System: rPi 3B+ with Buster (full)

Post by sfws »

GavinBaylis wrote: Tue 30 Jun 2020 9:48 am I would like to ideally show a gauge displaying the live Wind direction and gusts so users (many don't understand that the wind direction is not constant) can see the wind shifts?
Sounds like you would want to use Steel Series gauges, start reading at https://cumuluswiki.org/a/SteelSeries_Gauges.

You don't need to use Cumulus MX to use those gauges as that article, (and others available by clicking the category item on the page) explain, but MX uses a very slightly tweaked version of those gauges.

If you do decide you do want to use Cumulus MX ...

by GavinBaylis » Tue 30 Jun 2020 10:48 am
Try reading https://cumuluswiki.org/a/Moving_from_Cumulus_1_to_MX

Obviously the Cumulus 1 aspects do not apply to you, but hopefully it will prove otherwise to be helpful. It includes how to deal with download and how to run from a shortcut either on desktop or in start up folder.
GavinBaylis wrote: Tue 30 Jun 2020 9:48 am is there an inbuilt FTP programme etc
Yes, Cumulus includes many features including ability to FTP. There is an introduction to Cumulus at https://cumuluswiki.org/a/About_Cumulus

To learn more about MX, see https://cumuluswiki.org/a/Cumulus_MX. Hopefully, that, or other pages it links to, will answer any other questions.
GavinBaylis

Post by GavinBaylis »

Thanks for the response.

Can you run both WeatherLink and Cumulus at the same time ?

I note that for installation you must close WeatherLink
Dan G
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue

Post by Dan G »

GavinBaylis wrote: Tue 30 Jun 2020 2:27 pm
I too would like an answer to this question
prodata
Weather Station: VP2
Operating System: Windows - all flavours

Post by prodata »

Dan G wrote: Sat 08 Aug 2020 8:44 am
GavinBaylis wrote: Tue 30 Jun 2020 2:27 pm
I too would like an answer to this question
The general answer is no I'm afraid. The caveat is that it used to be possible with a utility called Virtual VP (http://softwx.com/), but development of that ceased several years back and it's not readily possible to use with eg modern VP2 console firmware (and IIRC 64-bit Windows presents some challenges as well).

If someone were to write a new utility that converted a Weatherlink Live data stream into the old USB logger format, buffered the result, generated and stored archive data etc then it might be possible again, but you would need to use a WLL unit as the data source. (CMX could receive direct from the WLL, while this new utility could service one extra program like Weatherlink for Windows. Servicing multiple client programs like VVP used to do would add extra complexity, so simplest to stop at one extra.) I don't think that writing such a utility would be too difficult for someone with programming skills but it wouldn't be trivial either. Unfortunately I'm not aware of anyone taking on this challenge at present.
John Dann
Prodata Weather Systems
Littleport, East Cambs, UK
http://www.weatherstations.co.uk
galfert
Weather Station: Ecowitt GW1000
Operating System: Mint, Raspberry Pi OS, Synology

Post by galfert »

But if you currently have a logger that supports Weatherlink for PC like the USB, IP, or Serial logger, then you can continue to run Weatherlink for PC and only add the WLL device for the sake of supporting Cumulus MX. Then you have both. Better yet you can use the WLL to also run other software simultaneously. Sure the WLL will support multiple software simultaneously but you should exercise restraint and not pile on a ton of overhead onto the WLL to have to deal with simultaneously. But there is most likely no issue running a handful of different applications getting data simultaneously from the WLL. It's just that Weatherlink for PC is not one that is supported.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge RPI | CumulusMX on Synology NAS
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Tele-Pole flag pole
prodata
Weather Station: VP2
Operating System: Windows - all flavours

Post by prodata »

galfert wrote: Sat 08 Aug 2020 1:42 pm But if you currently have a logger that supports Weatherlink for PC like the USB, IP, or Serial logger, then you can continue to run Weatherlink for PC and only add the WLL device for the sake of supporting Cumulus MX.
Yes, good point. Guess I was answering the case where there's only one data source and specifically as per the OP's question where they still want to use WLfW for certain things (which is fine in my book - despite its dated cosmetics, it still has its uses).

But yes if you want to generalise more broadly:
  • Two or more WLL-compatible programs can use the same single WLL unit
  • For non-WLL-compatible programs like WLfW then each one needs its own non-WLL data source, like a USB logger, so for two such programs you could have 2 consoles each with a USB logger or whatever feeding into a single computer.
  • And yes you can mix WLL-compatible and non-compatible programs as per the rules above
Sorry, think I've just repeated pretty much what galfert said....imitation, flattery etc :)
John Dann
Prodata Weather Systems
Littleport, East Cambs, UK
http://www.weatherstations.co.uk