Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

WeatherLink Live

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
Mapantz
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 11 x64

Re: WeatherLink Live

Post by Mapantz »

Graphs ok today.

Still not getting 2.5 second wind updates. I have my phone sat next to my console so I can watch both at the same time, the app is always behind the console updates. Around 5 seconds between each update.

The strange extra-sensor readings are still there, showing the wrong wind direction.

John did mention that the 'ISS' wind needs to be unchecked, but unfortunately I lose wind chill/ET and THSW readings, both on the app and the bulletin page when I do that.

The whole thing is a complicated mess!

Edit; A bit more checking and I think I have found the reason that the wind on weatherlink live doesn't update every 2.5 seconds..
It is actually missing packets of data at intervals, unlike the console. To back this up, the high gust on weatherlink live says 18mph at 13:04. The console shows 19mph at 15:09.

Technically speaking, if I didn't have a console, weatherlink live would be missing out on true high gusts.
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

I found you get best reception if one of the "flat" sides of the WLL faces your transmitter.

What sort dB values are you seeing for the transmitters?
Mapantz

Post by Mapantz »

mcrossley wrote: Thu 01 Oct 2020 3:31 pm I found you get best reception if one of the "flat" sides of the WLL faces your transmitter.

What sort dB values are you seeing for the transmitters?
Screenshot 2020-10-01 164927.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Those look pretty good, much better than mine, and it is saying 100% reception too :?
Mapantz

Post by Mapantz »

Lost wind updates altogether now :x
Screenshot_20201001-193124_WeatherLink.png
I'm sick to the back teeth of weatherlink now.

I certainly won't be getting rid of my console for it. It's a complete pain in the neck and it cannot be trusted.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ConligWX
Weather Station: Davis vPro2+ w/DFARS + AirLink
Operating System: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS

Post by ConligWX »

Tina,

I'd be asking your reseller to at least supply you with another unit. if that is still faulty then it must be your weatherlink account that has become corrupt somehow. One way or another I would be wanting answers.
Regards Simon

https://www.conligwx.org - @conligwx
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus with Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • Davis AirLink • PurpleAir •

Mapantz

Post by Mapantz »

ConligWX wrote: Thu 01 Oct 2020 6:48 pm Tina,

I'd be asking your reseller to at least supply you with another unit. if that is still faulty then it must be your weatherlink account that has become corrupt somehow. One way or another I would be wanting answers.
It's either faulty or there's some other underlying issue.

Do you get 2.5 second wind updates on your live app?

I have watched mine next to my console and at no point have I had a wind update in 2.5 seconds. It's always 5 seconds.
If Davis state 2.5 seconds in their advertising and in the manual, then that's exactly what it should be. Not 5 seconds!

I had to report something to Davis about their app on day 1 of using it with AirLink. It doesn't show my town name with my station, just a comma. I reported this to Davis and this is what they said:

Code: Select all

We know there are some "Magical" locations in Google maps that do not come up properly, but in this case something got stuck and Google needs to address it. 
I checked this out myself.. if I click locations to find station near me, at least a dozen have no name either. I then started clicking random places around the country and even parts of Europe, sure enough, lots of stations have a town/village name missing.

If I found that many by clicking a few random places, that must add up to 1000's if not 10,000's of locations around the world with names missing. I have a ton of apps on my phone that use Google maps and every single one of them shows my town name.

Also, I have contacted Davis about my weatherlink live and they have been about as useful as a fart in a wind tunnel.

This was the response I got:

Code: Select all

if the problem is persistent, make sure your phone app is logged into the same account as your station.
I mean, really? Suggesting that I have been logged in to someone else's account? How do I manage that without a password or username? :bash:
ConligWX

Post by ConligWX »

this maybe a guess but...

I think the 2.5 seconds is reporting to wl.com, for you then to get that data onto you mobile it probably feels like 5 seconds as you are not getting the data on your phone from the WLL afaik but from wl.com.

Davis gurus jump in and correct me.

as my my readings, my wind is 0 - had to look at other local stations they are the same too - so cant comment as yet on that.

as to Davis Support, yes have to agree, unless your in the states and can phone them, support is pretty useless.

phone your reseller in the morning and demand a new unit.
Regards Simon

Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus with Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • Davis AirLink • PurpleAir •

Mapantz

Post by Mapantz »

According to the manual, when you're on your LAN connection, you get the data that is going from the WLL to the router and 'Live' appears in the app.

The blue light won't stop flashing on/off either. Drives me mad!
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

The wl app uses the same mechanism as Cumulus to get the "live" data. It "prods" the WLL, which then starts broadcasting (actually it multicasts, but whatever) the data on your local LAN to whoever is listening. It sends a packet every 2.5 seconds

I did have a thought, the WLL only works on 2.4 GHz WiFi, if you have newish dual band router I have seen that some WiFi 6 setting can cause issues. Sorry I don't recall what setting.

If you have a WiFi 6 compatible router perhaps you could try disabling that feature?
Mapantz

Post by Mapantz »

I have a decent router, but not WiFi 6.

I separated the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands with different names and passwords.

My app is keeps flicking between correct rainfall totals and wrong ones, as is the bulletin page. No idea what that is all about?
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Ah well worth a try.

Is you phone on the same 2.4 network?

The different values is really odd though, almost as if it's getting data from two different devices. The only vaguely possible reason I could think would be if two WLL devices were manufactured with the same hardware ID - the DID on the device label. That is used on wl.com to uniquely identify each device.

I can ask the Davis developer who looks after the wl.com data access if he has any ideas. He is a v. busy man though, so I may well get fobbed off to their support desk.

Could you pm me your DID and WL.com account name, that would give him something to lookup
ConligWX

Post by ConligWX »

did you manage to get this working yet?
Regards Simon

Mapantz

Post by Mapantz »

ConligWX wrote: Sun 04 Oct 2020 5:41 pm did you manage to get this working yet?
Yes, and no.

The THSW value not showing, turned out to be a bug. Their software says a UV sensor is needed to show the THSW index, even though it doesn't. I don't know if I am the one that discovered that but they said it will be fixed.

My guess is that it has been there for a long time, but no one noticed it.

With regard to not getting wind updates every 2.5/3 seconds; Davis showed me some data to back up that I am indeed getting 2.5 second updates. I'm wondering if they did their checking since I have had a test version of Cumulus MX reading from WLL, as that works absolutely fine, but that app does NOT update every 2.5/3 seconds for me.

I did some more testing yesterday..

I passed this info on:
I also spotted some weird wind direction changes on the app this morning that didn’t add up to what were showing on the console or Cumulus MX. I decided to take my phone outside and put it in my eyeline while I watched my anemometer. The wind vane was pointing to around NNE, only deviating to N and NNW at the most. I saw on the app, ESE and SW showed up several times within a minute or so, but the anemometer didn’t go anywhere near to that direction. It has been doing the same again this evening. I have Cumulus MX dashboard open, my console is next to the screen and my phone app too. Sure enough, SW and ESE popup several times, neither the console or Cumulus MX showed that direction.

The console and WLL through Cumulus MX are pretty much in unison when it comes to wind updates. The app on the other hand, misses a lot of updates, perhaps as many as 1 in 3.

The app and Cumulus MX pick up the same broadcast messages, so why the app can’t manage it, I have no idea!
I also still have the anemometer showing in 'Extra Sensors' that always show a wrong wind direction. I gave John my credentials, but he doesn't see it using the iPhone app. I tested it on 3 different Android devices and they all show it.

Might be an Android app bug?!

The quest for equilibrium continues! :lol:
mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Looking at your station in my app I see the THSW value displayed OK, and I do not see any extra sensors - I do on mine because I have a wind transmitter. The AirLink is also displaying ok.

This is on Android too.