Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Adjusting barometric pressure

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
TheBridge
Weather Station: Davis
Operating System: Windows 10

Adjusting barometric pressure

Post by TheBridge »

I notice now that my Website forecast ( https://climate.tommueller.com/gauges-ss-crows.htm ) is constantly saying 'rain' or 'heavy rain' is coming when nothing of the sort is true. I notice my Davis monitor device (not the PC but actual standalone device in the house) reads a barometric pressure of .08 Hg higher than the website is showing. This would put the Cumulus barometric more into the 'unsettled' or 'rain' prediction. IS there a setting to normalize the Cumulus setting (which I had assumed calc'ed in the elevation of 850') to self adjust the barometer?
sfws
Weather Station: Chas O, Maplin N96FY, N25FR
Operating System: rPi 3B+ with Buster (full)

Re: Adjusting barometric pressure

Post by sfws »

I don't use a Davis, but I have found this on Wiki
This parameter (attribute=value) is added directly to the file, it does not appear on a configuration screen. Davis stations calculate Sea Level Pressure from Station Pressure using a formula based on several parameters such as temperature, humidity, etc, rather than just using altitude as most other stations. CWOP require 'Altimeter Pressure' to be uploaded, i.e. a value calculated simply using altitude.

Note for MX, use of the LOOP2 (see here) means s.l.p. can be obtained from the Davis station.
on this page https://cumuluswiki.org/a/Cumulus.ini#D ... _specific:

I have also found some posts on this forum that might help you.
TheBridge wrote: Mon 30 Mar 2020 1:41 am I notice my Davis monitor device
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15358&p=123801&hil ... re#p123801 This post explains
The Davis console applies all sorts of "corrections" to the pressure reading, not sure how does it. But it does use temperature and humidity
TheBridge wrote: Mon 30 Mar 2020 1:41 am which I had assumed calc'ed in the elevation of 850'
I can't find a reference to check that, but this is what comes closest viewtopic.php?f=39&t=15745&p=120880&hil ... re#p120880
Cumulus uses the absolute pressure read from the LOOP2 packet and converts it to altimeter pressure using the altitude that you have set in Cumulus.
That suggests there is a sea level pressure and an altimeter pressure, not sure which feeds your forecast.
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Post by freddie »

TheBridge wrote: Mon 30 Mar 2020 1:41 am I notice now that my Website forecast ( https://climate.tommueller.com/gauges-ss-crows.htm ) is constantly saying 'rain' or 'heavy rain' is coming when nothing of the sort is true. I notice my Davis monitor device (not the PC but actual standalone device in the house) reads a barometric pressure of .08 Hg higher than the website is showing. This would put the Cumulus barometric more into the 'unsettled' or 'rain' prediction. IS there a setting to normalize the Cumulus setting (which I had assumed calc'ed in the elevation of 850') to self adjust the barometer?
Just as an aside, your current site position given on your gauges page (Latitude N 34° 19' 34" Longitude W 119° 27' 50") is a point about 2.5 miles off the Pacific coast (Mussel shoals is the nearest point to it on the coast). The position on your main page (Latitude N 34° 10' 30" Longitude W 118° 53' 42") looks okay.
KLAX was reporting 30.14 ins at 0150 your time, which compares to 30.10 on your station website. Correcting for the .08 in difference you mention, you get 30.18 which looks okay to me.

If your Monitor pressure is okay, then the offset is being applied in the Cumulus software (it is up to 1.9.4, build 1099, so you may wish to upgrade). The Wiki gives advice on where these are set.

I think the root of the problem is that your pressure extreme values have been incorrectly set - see the FAQ for details of what to do.
Freddie
TheBridge

Post by TheBridge »

SFWS and Freddie,

3 changes appear good so far...
1.Added this: UseDavisLoop2=0
2.Revised the gauges upper range setting in the admin panel.

At this point the forecast was no reading something reasonable: "exception weather. settled fine" (in all caps of course). Well it is a nice day but I though the 'exceptional weather' it a wee bit over top so the final change was...

3. I tweaked the PressOffset=Offset_Value with the value at the time I checked NOAA pressure here versus my monitor. It was as discussed earlier in this thread.
Now the Cumulus pressure looks more accurate and the forecast only says 'settled fine' which I think is appropriate. I will continue to monitor and revise items 2 & 3 to best match actual conditions over time and then leave it at that.

Thank you both very much!!

Best,
Bridge
beteljuice
Weather Station: None !
Operating System: W10 - Threadripper 16core, etc

Post by beteljuice »

2.Revised the gauges upper range setting in the admin panel.
Having got the reading corrected you really shouldn't need to change the default settings other than to fine tune.

Don't forget this is a range, you may need to 'shift' your lower setting by a similar amount.
......................Imagine, what you will KNOW tomorrow !
TheBridge

Post by TheBridge »

I am looking forward to checking the low range. Low pressures are usually is when it rains but here it may not rain again until September. Hope I remember all of this :)
beteljuice
Weather Station: None !
Operating System: W10 - Threadripper 16core, etc

Post by beteljuice »

It's not just rain - It's everything in the middle as well.

All (26) decisions are now being made in a compressed range.
......................Imagine, what you will KNOW tomorrow !
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Post by freddie »

beteljuice wrote: Tue 31 Mar 2020 2:38 amAll (26) decisions are now being made in a compressed range
A quick Google gave me a page on the Weather Underground site that shows historic pressure measurement ranges for various locations. It suggests (for Los Angeles) a maximum of 30.59 and a minimum of 29.07 - which I would probably round to max 30.60 and min 29.05. That should give you a good range based on the history of air pressure readings in your area.

The "forecasts" are only a rough guide, though. Remember that air pressure is just the weight of atmosphere pressing down on your pressure sensor. The atmosphere (especially the lowest part - the troposphere) is a complex three dimensional fluid that is forever in motion, and there are other elements (water vapour especially, and temperature) that have a far bigger influence on the weather at any location.
Freddie