Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Vantage Vue Pro2 and Belfryboy Logger issue

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
FormalDeHyde
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Raspian Jessie

Vantage Vue Pro2 and Belfryboy Logger issue

Post by FormalDeHyde »

I have a Vantage Pro2 console with a Belfryboy logger. Installed the 1.9.4 Cumulus (Windows 10 64 bit) and set it up, it works fine once connected to the logger (using the provided USB (FTDI) serial cable). However, I scheduled Cumulus to start 15 mins after windows starts up and when it starts it almost always pops up an error saying that it could not connect to the logger. If I then go to Configuration>Station and (making no changes) press "OK" it will then initialize the logger and start showing a flashing green in "new record". At that point it does not seem to download data that has accumulated since the last shut down, so if I then close Cumulus and restart it it typically initializes the logger OK and then downloads the data, does the catch up and then carries on happily for the rest of the day.
Is there anyone with similar issues? I know in Belfryboy's instructions he notes that when setting up the logger it may take a few tries to get it to wake up--so perhaps that is what is happening with the sequential steps I have to take in Cumulus? Any suggestions on how to address this--maybe I should not use the 15 min delay on startup?
Thank you.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Vantage Vue Pro2 and Belfryboy Logger issue

Post by steve »

I can't really help, I know that lots of people start Cumulus automatically without any problems. What happens if you wait 15 minutes after boot and then start Cumulus manually?
Steve
uncle_bob
Weather Station: WeatherDuino Pro2
Operating System: 2008

Post by uncle_bob »

Maybe in the 15 minutes the USB port is going to sleep? I'd ensure that the ports power management doesn't allow this (if it is set).
Interested in building your own Weather Station? Maybe check out the WeatherDuino Pro Project Here
Conder, Canberra Weather
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Good suggestion.
Steve
FormalDeHyde

Post by FormalDeHyde »

Thank you, I looked and my power scheme had "selective suspend" enabled for USB devices--I disabled it and will see how it behaves tomorrow. I was trying to avoid having Cumulus start immediately to avoid potential conflicts with various other programs that run at startup..
FormalDeHyde

Post by FormalDeHyde »

Well, I have tried this for a while. I changed the power scheme as noted, then tried having Cumulus start at startup with no delay. No delay worked slightly better, however every 3 or so startups (not consistent) it cannot initialize the logger. Usually if I restart Cumulus it works, sometimes I have to restart it twice. I cant figure out any pattern to the times when it works vs when it does not.
Ideally I think it would be better if it was possible to set Cumulus to retry initializing the logger a few times at a certain interval, instead of just failing and not trying again. Is there any way to do that in the configuration files?
Thank you.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Sorry, no.
Steve
FormalDeHyde

Post by FormalDeHyde »

Does Cumulus output an error in some way that I could use as a trigger in task scheduler to stop the program if it does not initialize the logger, then restart it? I thought about automatically stopping and starting it three times at startup, but if it works the first time I think stopping it immediately might mess up the "catch up" upload to WU.

Thank you.
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

I have forgotten lots about Cumulus 1, and I can't look at the code right now, so I can't currently suggest anything. If anything occurs to me, I'll let you know.
Steve
FormalDeHyde

Post by FormalDeHyde »

Thank you. Does this mean I should be using the (?) MX version instead?
RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by RayProudfoot »

Formaldehyde,

Why don't you just leave your laptop running continuously? I reboot my XP netbook every couple of months but otherwise it runs 24/7 so visitors can see the live weather.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

FormalDeHyde wrote:Thank you. Does this mean I should be using the (?) MX version instead?
The same answer applies to MX, really, except that I haven't quite forgotten as much about that. I'm still not yet in a position to answer your question, regardless of the version.
Steve