Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Meteobridge pass thru" question

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
Dpw216
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Cabled
Operating System: Windows 10

Meteobridge pass thru" question

Post by Dpw216 »

Hello

I understand that the bridge can be used simultaneously with pc / cumulus which is good, However what i cant find info for anywhere is if the pc is shut down for a day or so will it then catch up the archive data to cumulus as per usual or is there no archive data to be read because the meteobridge has been connected 24/7?

I guess in short our question is can the bridge be ran 24/7 including when we are away (whilst pc/cumulus shut down) and are still able to download archive data to cumulus and have no gaps in our graphing etc?

Im assuming when the bridge is running perhaps data is not archived in the logger?.... But i have no idea and have searched for info to no avail :P

Regards,

Dave
*Cumulus
*Davis VP2
*Meteobridge
*Bellfry Logger
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Meteobridge pass thru" question

Post by steve »

This is really a question for Meteobridge rather than Cumulus - Cumulus doesn't know or care that it's connected via Meteobridge, it will ask for the archive data as usual and hopefully Meteobridge will supply it. The station will be logging regardless of whether Meteobridge is running or not (unless Meteobridge turns off the logging, which would be rather odd) so you might reasonably expect the archive data to be available when Cumulus asks for it.
Steve
jlmr731
Weather Station: Davis vantage pro 2
Operating System: Debian

Post by jlmr731 »

I run meteobridge at that is what is used to update weather site's so it stays on 24/7. I do run cumulus almost 24/7 but when i does get shutdown it will grab the archive data, my davis is set to log data every minute and when i have restarted cumulus from a few hour stoppage it was all in the monthly file and also my database.

Hope that helps you
grwkak
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue

Post by grwkak »

My understanding (I also have a MB) is that it does not archive data - it has limited storage and retains a limited history but not data at set intervals.

Guy
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

grwkak wrote:My understanding (I also have a MB) is that it does not archive data - it has limited storage and retains a limited history but not data at set intervals.
That may be true, but the station holds an archive independently of Meteobridge (assuming a Davis or other station type which does maintain an archive), so presumably when Cumulus asks for archive data, the archive data from the station is supplied? This is complete speculation on my part, I know nothing about Meteobridge, but the post from jlmr731 seems to confirm this.
Steve
grwkak
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue

Post by grwkak »

I think you may be correct - somehow it gets the data from the logger. I tried using the MB in this way but (early on) had issues with the connection (forget the details now),

Guy
jlmr731
Weather Station: Davis vantage pro 2
Operating System: Debian

Post by jlmr731 »

Yes it does get the data from the davis logger. Depending on setup of logger is how much data and frequency of data is there.
I can connect the davis software through MB and it pulls all the archive in station logger.
I believe the MB is just a device that computes what it is set up for ie: sending data in realtime to WU CWOP and others along with database support.

The connection from cumulus or other software uses tcp to connect directly to logger, so one does not have to have a computer attached to station via USB.

So Dave you need to have your logger setup as the same interval as cumulus for it to work properly.
Dpw216

Post by Dpw216 »

Thank you so much guys for the useful information,
I will try and get the meteobridge up and running shortly and see how it all goes

Im sure i have the log interval set up the same as the station however i will double check this also

And yes sorry i did think this was a better meteobridge forum question but i emailed those guys for advice .. even with the possibility of purchasing the pro bridge and got no response

Dave
*Cumulus
*Davis VP2
*Meteobridge
*Bellfry Logger
Dpw216

Post by Dpw216 »

jlmr731 wrote:Yes it does get the data from the davis logger. Depending on setup of logger is how much data and frequency of data is there.
I can connect the davis software through MB and it pulls all the archive in station logger.
I believe the MB is just a device that computes what it is set up for ie: sending data in realtime to WU CWOP and others along with database support.

The connection from cumulus or other software uses tcp to connect directly to logger, so one does not have to have a computer attached to station via USB.

So Dave you need to have your logger setup as the same interval as cumulus for it to work properly.

Well i really have no idea how it is all working but somehow everything seems to be working fine as i want it too although there are a few things i cant understand

I have not changed my logger interval , it is set at 5 minutes same as cumulus which is what i have always used as it gives me a good week or more of storage on the logger if i am away

Currently the only account i send data to is WU which although the site seems to have problems at times i do like the graphs etc and now with the bridge i like that i can see that from any remote location although i did read somewhere that there is a url you can use to see the live data from the bridge (maybe they were talking about the bridge config page thing)

Anyway Cumulus seems to download the data from the logger if my pc has been off perfectly :D , so far for about 16 hours at one point and it works fine, I have set cumulus to use the tc/ip thing and i turned off the "catch up" feature as i cant see any point trying to catch up to WU when the bridge updates WU 24/7, Or so i think?, The thing is when i fire up cumulus i think it is actually taking over from the bridge and sending the data to WU, Or perhaps they both are?, Reason i say this is that the 5 minute intervals recorded on WU were not even like 5:45pm/5:50pm/ and so on, they were say 5:43pm/5:48pm etc, However when i started Cumulus up the stamped log on WU changed to the even type on the five minute of the hour.. i dont understand why this is?, To be honest i don't understand how any of this is working anymore or whats getting sent where etc...lol :lol: .. but i can say that it is all working as hoped :D

Another thing i am not sure about is setting the elevation" in meteobridge, i wonder if i really needed to do that or have made a mistake of doing that seen as it is already set up on the station etc

I have left the discon" period in Cumulus set to 0, i read that it should be changed to a low number however i think that might be is using a the davis weather link situation.. i dont know.... but it seems to be working fine anyway

Another weird thing is that if i set the upload interval" on the bridge to any more than 30 seconds ie one minute or five minute then it does not seem to update WU.. and the WU page goes blank, I guess this is no big problem and i would rather have fast updates anyway for the wind direction etc .. maybe i could even set it at 5 seconds as some people do but them i would like to have a good idea about how much data that actually uses ?.. which seems to be very hard information to find out

The final thing that i am finding odd is that if i dis enable WU updates in Cumulus then Cumulus fails to start.. comes up with the error, I disabled it because i figured there was no point having Cumulus update WU now that the bridge does it but seems i have to leave it enabled

Dave
*Cumulus
*Davis VP2
*Meteobridge
*Bellfry Logger
steve
Cumulus Author

Post by steve »

Dpw216 wrote:The final thing that i am finding odd is that if i dis enable WU updates in Cumulus then Cumulus fails to start.. comes up with the error, I disabled it because i figured there was no point having Cumulus update WU now that the bridge does it but seems i have to leave it enabled
That makes sense (leaving Meteobridge to update WU) and Cumulus should run fine with WU disabled - many people run it that way. You haven't said (unless I missed it) what the error is that you get?
Steve
Dpw216

Post by Dpw216 »

steve wrote:
Dpw216 wrote:The final thing that i am finding odd is that if i dis enable WU updates in Cumulus then Cumulus fails to start.. comes up with the error, I disabled it because i figured there was no point having Cumulus update WU now that the bridge does it but seems i have to leave it enabled
That makes sense (leaving Meteobridge to update WU) and Cumulus should run fine with WU disabled - many people run it that way. You haven't said (unless I missed it) what the error is that you get?

It is making a lair out of me, I just disabled WU then shut down and re opened Cumulus and it is working fine, I had probably done something else to cause the original issue sorry

Dave
*Cumulus
*Davis VP2
*Meteobridge
*Bellfry Logger