Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4017) - 17 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Small OLED Remote Display Console?

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
randy52644
Weather Station: Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Jessie & CumulusMX

Small OLED Remote Display Console?

Post by randy52644 »

Has anyone built a small stand alone OLED that could be used in other locations in their house?
My main VP2 console is downstair in my office. I'm running CumulusMX and pushing files to my own server.

But I would like a small (2"x2"or so) display in a couple of places around the house to view temp and a couple other readings.
There have been many other projects using the ESP8266 and other similar wifi controllers. But after days of googling, I can't find a similar application to display readings from the realtime.txt file.

Any pointers?
water01
Weather Station: Ecowitt HP2551
Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Re: Small OLED Remote Display Console?

Post by water01 »

The WeatherDuino project allows for multiple visual display's scattered around the house see here https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=12083
David
randy52644

Post by randy52644 »

I don't need another weather station which it appears is what that thread is about.

Instead I want to use the real time text data being sent to my server from my existing VP2 and build a small display for that information.
ConligWX
Weather Station: Davis vPro2+ w/DFARS + AirLink
Operating System: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS

Post by ConligWX »

I think it would be easier just using a 7" android Tablet or an really cheap android phone( 4" screen) , running an app that hooks into your realtime, rather than trying to invent a wheel.
Regards Simon

https://www.conligwx.org - @conligwx
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus with Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • Davis AirLink • PurpleAir •

Smithee
Weather Station: VP2
Operating System: Mac/win7

Post by Smithee »

You could use a Raspberry Pi and simply add a screen - i have three running with a live feed of the data from a remote VP2 (image attached/below).
IMG_1536_1.jpg
Or you could use a LaMetric and pull in data - or of course any tablet....

Andy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
randy52644

Post by randy52644 »

That's getting closer to what I had in mind. But I would need complete control over the back light. In a dark bedroom the digits just need to be visible.

What are you using to display the data on the RPi? Is it just pulling a html page?

The old smartphone idea sounds good. I could point it to a html page displaying wx data. But how would the phone browser do an automatic refresh instead of just showing a static screen?
Smithee
Weather Station: VP2
Operating System: Mac/win7

Post by Smithee »

It just pulls in a HTML page -so custom pages for each screen i.e. - wind is http://weather.casa.ucl.ac.uk/wind.htm) - the background colour changes every 5 degrees.

No easy control over the backlight with the Pi though - an ipad/phone sounds your best best, with something like the NightOwl browser which allows the backlight to be dimmed.

The Lametric is another good option as the ticker tape screen is quite neat and provides realtime updates - there is a discussion on them at https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15023 (they are cheaper on Amazon).

Hope that helps,

Andy
vectorspace
Weather Station: Davis VP2
Operating System: Windows Linux

Post by vectorspace »

randy52644 wrote:Has anyone built a small stand alone OLED that could be used in other locations in their house?
My main VP2 console is downstair in my office. I'm running CumulusMX and pushing files to my own server.

But I would like a small (2"x2"or so) display in a couple of places around the house to view temp and a couple other readings.
There have been many other projects using the ESP8266 and other similar wifi controllers. But after days of googling, I can't find a similar application to display readings from the realtime.txt file.

Any pointers?
See the following post.
Last edited by vectorspace on Thu 21 Jul 2016 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vectorspace
Weather Station: Davis VP2
Operating System: Windows Linux

Post by vectorspace »

Here's one I've started. Still working on the details. A simple php script gets the forecast low temperature for "tomorrow" from wunderground.com and the other data comes from a local VP2. Cumulus sends a simple text file with current data to a local raspi web server. This mini WX display pulls that data every 5 seconds and puts it on the OLED display. It currently also shows wind speed (which moves from top to bottom to avoid the direction pointer), direction, gust, current temperature outside and "yesterday;'s" low temperature. Numerous pages could be added with a lot more information. Not shown in the images below is a 7-segment, 4-digit LED which displays the time from NTP. The largest object in the image (besides the breadboard) is the power supply/LDO which would be very much smaller when completed. Once the final hardware design is done, the entire works would fit in 5cm X 5cm X 4cm enclosure and the parts would cost less than U$12 total.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.