Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Vue rainfall in windy conditions

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
dionaea
Weather Station: WH1080 / Watson8681

Post by dionaea »

I have noticed that in very windy conditions my rainfall more or less fails to be recorded! Presumably the rain is passing more or less horizontally over the top of the gauge. At the moment Storm Katie seems to be at its highest, it is lashing it down with rain & the rainfall has been at 5.8 mm since about 7.00 am BST. Anyone else observed this & any ideas about solving the problem?

Cheers,
Chris
dc1500
Weather Station: Watson W-8681 (Fine Offset type)
Operating System: Windows 10

Re: Vue rainfall in windy conditions

Post by dc1500 »

Hi Chris. Looking at it logically if the ground is wet it must be falling vertically at some point! It can't continue horizontally indefinitely so gravity will take over all along that axis and it must fall into the gauge. What it will do is alter the accuracy of the results due to the overall turbulence but it will be the same for standard funnel measuring stations. It's not an exact science.
Tidalwave123
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2
Operating System: Windows XP

Post by Tidalwave123 »

Many NOAA rain gages are surrounded by 'hanging slats' that can sway with the wind. If you think about it...a typical rain gage is a depression. A strong wind blowing over the depression will cause a decrease in air pressure which can sweep away water. For example, partially fill a spoon with water and blow hard over the spoon...water will be lifted and blown out of the spoon. The slats around the NOAA rain gage greatly decreases the wind speed blowing over the gage, allowing any falling drops to sink into the gage port and down to the tipping bucket.
archae86
Weather Station: Davis Wireless Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by archae86 »

Wind effects are a curious topic. In discussing them people tend to focus excessively on the gauge itself and neglect to think about the entire surrounding arrangements.

If you think you have an unusually bad problem, the answer has to be that you have an unusually bad location. You might profit from reviewing other possible locations.

In the end all the rain that falls from the sky has to hit the ground somewhere, but it does not have to hit the ground uniformly irrespective of wind condition. Your goal is to locate the gauge in a place that sees about the average across the range of wind conditions you get.

Experiment! And good luck.
My cumulus generated weather site is at http://pastoll.info/weather
Paragon
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Vue
Operating System: Windows 7 hOME PREmium

Post by Paragon »

I also have wondered if the rain is being properly recorded in windy conditions in my Vantage Vue. I installed a standard plastic rain gauge on a fence post nearby. The two methods agree.

I noticed another problem yesterday. In windy conditions (gusting over 50 km/h, F5 to F6), it registered 20.4 mm of rain when there was none. I have set the today total to zero, now I have to make the other repairs. Clearly there is a pressure difference between the top and bottom of the station and the bucket is being tipped by that difference.
StormCapture
Weather Station: Davis Pro 2 Plus / WH1081
Operating System: Windows 10 Professional

Post by StormCapture »

You may have to install Guy wires which are wires that attach to the mounting post that your Vantage Vue is on to the ground or nearby posts to help support it. That will reduce the violent swaying of the station triggering off false rain, fine offsets do this also when no support is there and the gauge is high with the anemometer.

Davis Vantage Vue gauges I'm not a fan of as rain does blow away and collection area is small unlike the pro2 gauge, hence their use of rain errors they have in the Vue console itself.

How high is your Vue off the ground and what is it sitting on?