Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Wireless Davis Vantage VUE and connecting to internet.

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
gardengirl
Weather Station: Davis Vantage FUE
Operating System: Windows 10

Wireless Davis Vantage VUE and connecting to internet.

Post by gardengirl »

We have recently gotten the VUE and it is getting data from the ISS. Just downloaded and installed Cumulus yesterday. I get: "Error 32701. Wile trying to initialise the station. Please check your connections and settings." I've checked with my IP and they gave me the address and suggested TCP port 443 or 80. Neither work and they suggested I needed to contact the software help.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Wireless Davis Vantage VUE and connecting to internet.

Post by steve »

Your problem is apparently with getting Cumulus to connect to the console, which is nothing to do with the internet or your internet provider. Unless you're trying to connect to the station from Cumulus over the internet?

Do you have a USB logger or an IP logger? There is a FAQ about using USB Davis stations with Cumulus - http://wiki.sandaysoft.com/a/FAQ#How_do ... Cumulus.3F

With an IP logger you need to find the IP address of the logger, you can usually find this from your router. It's a good idea to assign it a fixed address rather than using DHCP. The default port is 22222.

Can you please confirm that you are using Cumulus MX rather than Cumulus 1.9.4?
Steve
gardengirl

Post by gardengirl »

I realized after I posted that somehow I got to something called Cumulus MX. Since the post was needing review before I could see it again, I could not edit it. I am using Cumulus 1.9.4

Our Wireless Davis Vantage VUE does not have any connections save for electric. There is no USB alternative. Please define IP logger. I called my IP and they walked me through finding the IP address through ipconfig. I would like to use the software and see our data on our desktop. May look into weather underground at some point. No other plans for using the internet other than getting the data from the console to the desktop software.
steve wrote:Your problem is apparently with getting Cumulus to connect to the console, which is nothing to do with the internet or your internet provider. Unless you're trying to connect to the station from Cumulus over the internet?

Do you have a USB logger or an IP logger? There is a FAQ about using USB Davis stations with Cumulus - http://wiki.sandaysoft.com/a/FAQ#How_do ... Cumulus.3F

With an IP logger you need to find the IP address of the logger, you can usually find this from your router. It's a good idea to assign it a fixed address rather than using DHCP. The default port is 22222.

Can you please confirm that you are using Cumulus MX rather than Cumulus 1.9.4?
duke

Post by duke »

Either CumulusMX or Cumulus 1.9.4 are compatible with your Davis Vue, but, you need to have a data logger to connect to your PC and therefore either version of software. If you scroll down to the bottom of this page there is an image on the right hand side showing a USB and an IP logger. Without a logger you will not be able to connect any PC, software or publish data to the internet.

FYI - CumulusMX is the latest version of Cumulus (1.9.4).
freddie
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro 2 + Ecowitt
Operating System: GNU/Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LXC

Post by freddie »

duke wrote:CumulusMX is the latest version of Cumulus (1.9.4).
No, that is not true! Cumulus 1.9.4 is the previous (Windows only) version of Cumulus. Cumulus MX is the latest version - but is still in beta testing.
Freddie
duke

Post by duke »

You are indeed correct, but, I was trying not to confuse the issue as the question was not related to operating systems and the op had previously installed MX. ;)
gardengirl

Post by gardengirl »

Thank you. I believe I understand now. I thought the logger was only necessary if I used their software and that this VUE was "all" wireless and could download to the computer without a device and only needed the device for their software. I had to remove the battery cover to find the connection. I appreciate the help and clarification. Sometimes it takes a while for this grey-haired lady to understand.
duke wrote:Either CumulusMX or Cumulus 1.9.4 are compatible with your Davis Vue, but, you need to have a data logger to connect to your PC and therefore either version of software. If you scroll down to the bottom of this page there is an image on the right hand side showing a USB and an IP logger. Without a logger you will not be able to connect any PC, software or publish data to the internet.

FYI - CumulusMX is the latest version of Cumulus (1.9.4).
hurring
Weather Station: Fineoffset WH1080
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by hurring »

Hi all, I am looking at upgrading to the Davis Vue. Can I connect it via a usb cable and use Cumulus? Is the data logger only required for connection with o pic if I'm concerned about the unit dropping out and loosing data? Hope that makes sense, does in my head.
Cheers Adrian

Ps also not concerned about using their software either, just like to use cumulus
View my station at Inverleigh, Victoria, Australia
http://home.people.net.au/~geelongrcgli ... 20weather/
Uksa007
Weather Station: Vue
Operating System: Win7

Post by Uksa007 »

gardengirl wrote:Thank you. I believe I understand now. I thought the logger was only necessary if I used their software and that this VUE was "all" wireless and could download to the computer without a device and only needed the device for their software. I had to remove the battery cover to find the connection. I appreciate the help and clarification. Sometimes it takes a while for this grey-haired lady to understand.
Gardengirl,

If you need a logger I produce a clone logger that functions the same as the davis logger.

See the link for information.
http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=25564.0

Regards
Uksa007
Weather Station: Vue
Operating System: Win7

Post by Uksa007 »

hurring wrote:Hi all, I am looking at upgrading to the Davis Vue. Can I connect it via a usb cable and use Cumulus? Is the data logger only required for connection with o pic if I'm concerned about the unit dropping out and loosing data? Hope that makes sense, does in my head.
Cheers Adrian

Ps also not concerned about using their software either, just like to use cumulus
Hi,

You will require a Data logger in addition to the Vue or Pro2 if you want to use cumulus.
The console itself does not have a USB or serial interface. This is what the logger provides in addition to memory explained below.

The Daivs logger and the clone that I produce will store the weather data if the PC is turned off or the power fails (assuming you have working batteries in the console). When cumulus comes back on it will download the records it is missing from the memory in the logger.
The console needs to be configured to write to the logger first. I provide instructions on how to do it with my loggers.

see the link for more info.
http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=25564.0

Regards.
hurring
Weather Station: Fineoffset WH1080
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by hurring »

Thanks for the info Uksa007, might order the Davis station soon. If I do I will be in touch for a logger.
View my station at Inverleigh, Victoria, Australia
http://home.people.net.au/~geelongrcgli ... 20weather/