Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Wind drops to zero - cause for concern?

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Wind drops to zero - cause for concern?

Post by RayProudfoot »

It's been pretty windy here for the last 48 hours but looking at my Cumulus1 graph you can see two point where it dropped to zero. Except it couldn't of course.
WindBreaks.png
WU readings show no wind was recorded between 0500 - 0525 this morning.

This is the new design Davis anemometer and only 2 years old. Should I be concerned?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Wind drops to zero - cause for concern?

Post by steve »

I would be concerned. It looks like you have an intermittent connection somewhere - maybe the plug or socket needs cleaning? Water in the transmitter, perhaps?
Steve
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

Thanks Steve. The transmitter is reasonably easy to access so I'll check it out once the winds die down.

I just hope it's not at the anemometer end as that's beyond my ability to get up there and I'd need to rely on a mate.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

Woke up this morning to find winds readings stopped around 5:45am. It was raining and windy so I decided to wait until it stopped to check things out.

The rain stopped around 11:00 and I was going to look at it after lunch but around 12:00 it started to transmit again. The transmitter is at the front of the house and separate from the ISS in the back garden. I opened it up but there were no obvious signs of water ingress. There was some dirt on the bottom of the enclosure but it has been up there for nearly 7 years.

I unplugged the wind connection and used the tip of a hankie to clean the socket. Rotated the battery to give it a clean contact just in case it was a bit dirty.

All I can do is leave it and hope it's nothing more than a dirty connection. Should it happen again is there a way of using a voltmeter to test if there is a signal coming from the anemometer? That would help track down exactly where the problem lies.

Oh, one another thing. Is there an alarm I can set in Cumulus or WeatherLink to warn when the wind suddenly stops?
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

RayProudfoot wrote:All I can do is leave it and hope it's nothing more than a dirty connection. Should it happen again is there a way of using a voltmeter to test if there is a signal coming from the anemometer? That would help track down exactly where the problem lies.
I think it works by opening and closing a switch, so you may be able to detect that with a meter. I may have that wrong...
Oh, one another thing. Is there an alarm I can set in Cumulus or WeatherLink to warn when the wind suddenly stops?
Not in Cumulus, only alarms for high wind speeds.
Steve
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

steve wrote:
RayProudfoot wrote:All I can do is leave it and hope it's nothing more than a dirty connection. Should it happen again is there a way of using a voltmeter to test if there is a signal coming from the anemometer? That would help track down exactly where the problem lies.
I think it works by opening and closing a switch, so you may be able to detect that with a meter. I may have that wrong...
IIRC Ray has the newer model with the Hall effect 'switch', so I don't think it's as simple as looking for a reed switch contact closure.
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

Thanks Steve. I'm hoping John Dann might spot this and come back with some answers. If not, I'll email privately.

I'm sure someone here will know about testing the signal.

Mark, just saw your reply and yes, I do have the latest model with the Hall effect switch. Can that signal be tested?
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

Is it actually transmitting? Have you had a look at the reception stats on the console? Also, you could set dip switch 4 when it isn't working, the transmit light on the SIM should flash every 2.5 seconds with that on (remember to switch it off again afterwards).

Not sure how to test the new wind vanes, Google.....
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

mcrossley wrote:Is it actually transmitting? Have you had a look at the reception stats on the console? Also, you could set dip switch 4 when it isn't working, the transmit light on the SIM should flash every 2.5 seconds with that on (remember to switch it off again afterwards).
Ah, I'd forgotten all about that. I'll read the manual and refresh my brain. Not sure if it's transmitting okay but the box it's plugged into has a problem or just not transmitting. Will the reception stats show me the difference?
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

mcrossley

Post by mcrossley »

I'd have to dig the radio stats info out, but basically you need to know first of all is the anemometer not working, or the transmitter not transmitting. If the latter then the fact that if has stopped the last couple times at the end of night, then started again during the day may point to super capacitor failing. Did you check the battery voltage?
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

The battery is just over 12 months old so should be okay. It's on a ESE facing wall so gets plenty of morning sunshine (that's when it does shine of course!). But it has been particularly dull for the last couple of months so that cold be a factor.

According to Cumulus both batteries are okay. http://www.cheadlehulmeweather.co.uk/system.htm

I have a spare Duracell so might put that in. Change one thing at a time and see if it makes a difference eh? :)

Thanks Mark.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

ramsded
Weather Station: Davis VP2
Operating System: W10

Post by ramsded »

Hi

I also have a new type anemometer which is almost 2 years old, it started missing readings and then over about a week it has got progressively worse. It will now not read low wind speeds and needs approx. 5 - 10 mph to get it spinning and then will stop suddenly as the wind speed stops. I have not got up to it yet, but the belief from Davis is that there is some stiction and I am hoping they will replace it. I am currently awaiting a returns number from them.

Dave
RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

Good luck with that Dave. Davis kit is usually pretty good quality so it's disappointing to hear of a problem especially with the new design.

Since I cleaned the connection and rotated the Duracell battery in my transmitter box there has been no repetition of the drop outs. Strange problem. If it was the capacitor I'd expect it to just stop. Fingers crossed it was just some damp.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

RayProudfoot

Post by RayProudfoot »

I think it's safe to assume that the anemometer is now working okay again as there have been no dropouts in over a month.

All I did was unplug the anemometer cable in the transmitter box and give the plug and socket a wipe with a handkerchief. I also rotated the batteries in the transmitter to ensure a clean contact. That seems to have done the trick. If anyone else has this problem then hopefully the above may be of help to them.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.