Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4018) - 28 March 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release v1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014 (a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Pole diameter for Davis Vantage Vue

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
dionaea
Weather Station: WH1080 / Watson8681

Pole diameter for Davis Vantage Vue

Post by dionaea »

Could anyone tell me the diameter of a pole needed to fit into a Davis Vantage Vue please. Finally got fed up with failures of the cheaper weather stations. Should arrive in the next few days. Read a lot on the forum about setting the height. Would I be right that the general thinking is to fit it at a height of about 5-6 feet & then make calibration changes for the wind speed?

Cheers,
Chris
Grimers
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2
Operating System: Windows 11 64-bit

Re: Pole diameter for Davis Vantage Vue

Post by Grimers »

Hi Chris,

First thing, I wouldn't apply a wind calibration because you cannot be sure if the wind speed is going to be X% a few meters higher due to natural turbulence. The pole diameter is about 4 - 5 inches.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

Davis have some information about Vue mounting height here - http://www.davisnet.com/support/weather ... 1&faqid=97 - but they're basically saying that you should mount it at the height that gives the best results for the data that is most important to you (and make sure to allow easy access for maintenance). Using a multiplier to compensate for height is a reasonable compromise if you mount it lower down. But you may decide you actually want to record the wind speed at the lower level anyway.
Grimers wrote:The pole diameter is about 4 - 5 inches.
The outside diameter of the Davis mounting pole is 3 cm - http://www.davisnet.com/weather/product ... pnum=07717
Steve
909user
Weather Station: Vantage Vue
Operating System: windows 7

Post by 909user »

This is right from the Vantage Vue set up manual

"General Guidelines for Installing on a Pole
• With the supplied U-bolt, the ISS can be mounted on a pole or rod having an outside
diameter ranging from 1" to 1.75" (25 – 44 mm)."
Grimers

Post by Grimers »

steve wrote:Davis have some information about Vue mounting height here - http://www.davisnet.com/support/weather ... 1&faqid=97 - but they're basically saying that you should mount it at the height that gives the best results for the data that is most important to you (and make sure to allow easy access for maintenance). Using a multiplier to compensate for height is a reasonable compromise if you mount it lower down. But you may decide you actually want to record the wind speed at the lower level anyway.
Grimers wrote:The pole diameter is about 4 - 5 inches.
The outside diameter of the Davis mounting pole is 3 cm - http://www.davisnet.com/weather/product ... pnum=07717
I totally agree with this. I have my Vue at around 6 m so it's inbetween the official wind and rain reading heights. But, yes I would refrain from siting a vue at 10 m (I tried this and it's very inpractable for replacing a battery). Re the diameter, I have a 3 inch wide pole and it fits fine so I'm not sure why it's only 3 cm...
dionaea

Post by dionaea »

Thanks folks for your input. Can't wait for it to arrive.

Cheers,
Chris
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Post by steve »

If you've bought a USB logger (you did buy a logger if you want to connect the station to your PC, yes?) be sure to read this before you start - http://wiki.sandaysoft.com/a/FAQ#How_do ... Cumulus.3F
Steve
prodata
Weather Station: VP2
Operating System: Windows - all flavours

Post by prodata »

909user wrote:mounted on a pole or rod having an outside
diameter ranging from 1" to 1.75" (25 – 44 mm)."
But 1" (25mm) really isn't recommended. Smaller diameter poles tend to have thinner walls and so a 1" pole really isn't stiff enough to reliably hold a Vue ISS long-term and in stormy weather. Best to go with 32-44mm (which means that 2"/50mm is too large).

Anyone looking for a pole online could do worse than to look at:

http://www.aerialsandtv.com/ (poles/masts shop)

A good range of poles at fair prices from this Sheffield-based shop. No connection with this chap whatsoever and don't know anything directly about him/them so caveat emptor etc, but they've been trading online for several years and seem to offer a good service IME.
John Dann
Prodata Weather Systems
Littleport, East Cambs, UK
http://www.weatherstations.co.uk
duke

Post by duke »

prodata wrote:
Anyone looking for a pole online could do worse than to look at:

http://www.aerialsandtv.com/ (poles/masts shop)

A good range of poles at fair prices from this Sheffield-based shop. No connection with this chap whatsoever and don't know anything directly about him/them so caveat emptor etc, but they've been trading online for several years and seem to offer a good service IME.
I've used this company several times after John recommended them several years ago. Their masts and accessories are of better quality than what you usually find.
mcrossley
Weather Station: Davis VP2/WLL
Operating System: Bullseye Lite rPi

Post by mcrossley »

dionaea wrote:Would I be right that the general thinking is to fit it at a height of about 5-6 feet & then make calibration changes for the wind speed?
That would be really low for reliable wind readings. Remember the calibration factor is really meant for anemometers placed in an open field and factors in the drag of the ground on the wind. At that sort of height in a typical suburban and most rural locations, other factors such as obstructions will dominate and your readings will beyond a simple calibration correction.
Grimers

Post by Grimers »

mcrossley wrote:
dionaea wrote:Would I be right that the general thinking is to fit it at a height of about 5-6 feet & then make calibration changes for the wind speed?
That would be really low for reliable wind readings. Remember the calibration factor is really meant for anemometers placed in an open field and factors in the drag of the ground on the wind. At that sort of height in a typical suburban and most rural locations, other factors such as obstructions will dominate and your readings will beyond a simple calibration correction.
Exactly what I said. :lol:
dionaea

Post by dionaea »

Many thanks - have got a pole so that is no problem.

Steve - yes - have ordered a Data Logger from Belfryboy.

What do Vantage Vue owners consider a good height compromise?

Cheers,

Chris
prodata

Post by prodata »

dionaea wrote:What do Vantage Vue owners consider a good height compromise?
You have to decide which is the greater priority for you personally - wind readings or rainfall (and to a lesser extent air temp readings). You can't achieve optimal exposure for all readings simultaneously with a Vue.

If wind is of most interest and you're prepared to accept less accurate rainfall data then the higher the better (within reason). Conversely if it's rainfall rather than wind then the lower the better.

In practice, if wind is of some interest then the Vue ISS needs to be high enough to be clear of any immediate obstructions on your site (fences, sheds, bushes etc), accepting that you can't do much about houses, larger trees etc. Otherwise your wind data will always be seriously compromised, at least from some directions. Without knowing more about your particular site, it's difficult to be more prescriptive than this. But don't forget also that you will need occasional access to the Vue ISS eg to change battery, clean the rain gauge etc.

For most sites, taking all the above into account will determine what height you choose.
John Dann
Prodata Weather Systems
Grimers

Post by Grimers »

prodata wrote:
dionaea wrote:What do Vantage Vue owners consider a good height compromise?
You have to decide which is the greater priority for you personally - wind readings or rainfall (and to a lesser extent air temp readings). You can't achieve optimal exposure for all readings simultaneously with a Vue.

If wind is of most interest and you're prepared to accept less accurate rainfall data then the higher the better (within reason). Conversely if it's rainfall rather than wind then the lower the better.

In practice, if wind is of some interest then the Vue ISS needs to be high enough to be clear of any immediate obstructions on your site (fences, sheds, bushes etc), accepting that you can't do much about houses, larger trees etc. Otherwise your wind data will always be seriously compromised, at least from some directions. Without knowing more about your particular site, it's difficult to be more prescriptive than this. But don't forget also that you will need occasional access to the Vue ISS eg to change battery, clean the rain gauge etc.

For most sites, taking all the above into account will determine what height you choose.
To add to this, the optimum siting for a Vue is around 6 m as that is in between 2 m and 10 m.
prodata

Post by prodata »

Grimers wrote:To add to this, the optimum siting for a Vue is around 6 m...
Well, sorry, but no. The whole point of my post is that there isn't one single optimum height - it depends on the site and the user's preferences.

If 6m works for you then that's great - I'm sure that it measures wind speeds well. But for many users 6m will be too high - I can't imagine that it makes for easy access to the ISS unless you have a cherrypicker or a pole that's easily demounted. Most Vue units that I'm aware of are mounted at a height of 2-3m, but it will vary according to personal preferences etc.
John Dann
Prodata Weather Systems