Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Davis vantage pro2Plus with data logger

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
Mikegt1
Weather Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 plus
Operating System: windows 7

Davis vantage pro2Plus with data logger

Post by Mikegt1 »

Installed the pro2 plus and tried to download weatherlink from disc and all I get is : -
A program run as part of the setup did not run as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor.

Tried to connect to Cumulus and all I get is Error -32701 while trying to initialise the station. please check your connections and settings.

All worked fine with my old cllmemet station.

Help please

Mike T.
steve
Cumulus Author
Weather Station: None
Operating System: None

Re: Davis vantage pro2Plus with data logger

Post by steve »

What kind of logger do you have? If it's a USB logger, you won't be able to use Cumulus with it without installing the virtual serial port drivers. If your Weatherlink install is failing, for whatever reason, you can download the drivers from the Silabs site. See the FAQ - http://wiki.sandaysoft.com/a/FAQ#How_do ... Cumulus.3F

It would be advisable to get Weatherlink working before trying Cumulus, to be sure your system is working properly. I can't help with your Weatherlink install problem.
Steve
Mikegt1

Post by Mikegt1 »

Sorry for the delay in replying, I am waiting to hear from Davis; as soon as they have solved the problem, I'll then follow your suggestions.
Thanks
mike
rps
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by rps »

You will need the usb serial converter to use your station with cumulus. It is really easy to use just takes a bit to get installed and running. Dont think davis will give much help as cumulus is a 3rd party (brilliant) software.
Mikegt1

Post by Mikegt1 »

Hello rps,
We are only about three miles apart (Stourport)
The problem with running both I discovered was that the same comms port was being used, tried to use a different one but no joy and as I couldn't get a sensible reply from Davis I scrubbed their software. All problems solved. The connection to the WOW site was achieved effortlessly unlike trying with Davis.
Thanks for your comment, which has prompted me to send a donation to sandysoft.
Regards
Mike
rps
Weather Station: Davis VP2 Plus
Operating System: Windows 7

Post by rps »

Not far at all. yes its a bit tricky i use the Davis software just to make sure everything is running correctly then swap to Cumulus. I await to see your uploads on WOW.
RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by RayProudfoot »

PMFJI. This is one reason I have stayed with XP. It allows me to run VirtualVP - a 3rd party program that provides virtual COM ports. This allows me to run WL, Cumulus and 2 more wx-related programs on a Samsung netbook which has run non-stop since April 2009.
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

duke

Post by duke »

RayProudfoot wrote:.....This is one reason I have stayed with XP. It allows me to run VirtualVP - a 3rd party program that provides virtual COM ports. ......
VVP runs quite happily on Windows 8. I used it for may be a year without problem.
RayProudfoot
Weather Station: Davis VP2 with Daytime FARS
Operating System: Windows XP SP3

Post by RayProudfoot »

There is a 64-bit driver and the VPP site explains how to get it working. But it's not as easy as XP.

Will you be moving to Win 10?
Cheers,
Ray, Cheshire.

duke

Post by duke »

Yes, when I get a few minutes ;)

I only used VVP with TCP/IP ports.
prodata
Weather Station: VP2
Operating System: Windows - all flavours

Post by prodata »

For anyone who's not already aware, can I just flag up that MeteoBridge now has a pass-through feature for Davis data available via TCP/IP and provides similar functionality to VVP (but additionally supports LOOP2), although only supports one external device. I need to double-check this but I'm pretty sure that the pass-through is available via WiFi as well as via cabled network. And so in principle MB could provide a feed to an external PC running Cumulus.

One always has to be cautious about these pass-through features because there are quite a number of different external software packages that might access the pass-through data but using different implementations of Davis commands. I think MB just supports access to LOOP data (and possibly archive data too), but within these limitations I've not come across any reports of the pass-through not working as expected.

Very probably MB is not going to be of prime interest to anyone already running Cumulus (unless they might want access to the various Push commands supported by MB for specific applications) and especially considering the extra cost of MB but for anyone unfamiliar with MB, further details are available on our main website at:

http://www.weatherstations.co.uk/meteo.htm
John Dann
Prodata Weather Systems
Littleport, East Cambs, UK
http://www.weatherstations.co.uk
iandrews
Weather Station: Davis Pro2
Operating System: Windows 2012R2

Post by iandrews »

I use MeteoBridge with my Davis Pro2, and (as far as I'm aware) works without issues, and have had no issues with it (Since May 2015). I use it for 2 reasons, the 1st being that the main server I run Cumulus on is stored away, so if the Davis console was plugged directly into it I wouldn't be able to see it, though I did get around this with the Fine Offset Console I had before the Davis by running "USB Extenders" over RJ45, and though that worked, the 2nd reason for using MeteoBridge is that I am running Cumulus on a "Virtual server", and this server could be running on one of 2 servers in different parts of the house, so with MeteoBridge providing a IP connection to the Davis console it doesn't matter where the Cumulus server is running, it can always access it.

And as prodata says, it even reads the Archive data as well, so if the server has been down for a little while, when I load Cumulus back up it reads in any missing data (though it doesn't read in the last value, but think I have seen Steve mention this is a bug with the Davis DLL).

I went the DIY route with mine, and brought a supported hardware router and then flashed with the MeteoBridge firmware, and then paid for the MeteoBridge licence, worked out about 1/2 the price of a "fully ready / supported" one, but I work in IT, so had the skills to do it, but if anyone wants to get a Davis console "unhocked" from their PC then a MeteoBridge costs about 1/2 the price of the Davis IP module (though you do still need a Davis data logger for it to work).

Ian.