Welcome to the Cumulus Support forum.

Latest Cumulus MX V3 release 3.28.6 (build 3283) - 21 March 2024

Cumulus MX V4 beta test release 4.0.0 (build 4019) - 03 April 2024

Legacy Cumulus 1 release 1.9.4 (build 1099) - 28 November 2014
(a patch is available for 1.9.4 build 1099 that extends the date range of drop-down menus to 2030)

Download the Software (Cumulus MX / Cumulus 1 and other related items) from the Wiki

Upgrade to Davis Vue / Pro 2

Discussion specific to Davis weather stations
iandrews
Weather Station: Davis Pro2
Operating System: Windows 2012R2

Upgrade to Davis Vue / Pro 2

Post by iandrews »

Hi,

I have been using a Maplin (Fine Offset) station for the last 5 years. It has run well and the only issue I have had (apart from having to change batteries and the console loosing contact with the sensor unit every now and again due to the distance I have between the 2) is that after I replaced the batteries in the console once the pressure reading was out by about 1000 (and has stayed like that ever since), but applying the sea level correction means that I do in fact “see” the correct pressure level.

Anyway, I am now thinking it may be time to upgrade to something better, and I have the Vue / Pro 2 in mind. I live in a town house in Docklands (London), so my sensor placement isn’t the best. I have everything mounted on a “roof terrace” about 10 meters high. The temp sensor is in a home made Stevenson screen, the rain sensor is on top of a wall about 2 meters high (and about 4 feet away from the house) , and the wind gauge stuff on a pole about 3.5 meters high (but still beneath the roof line).

The Vue seems to be a good step up, but the all in one nature of the unit is concerning me. It seems that I could either place it where the current rain collector is, but then the wind stuff will be even lower than it is now, or I could place it at the top of the pole that the wind stuff is on, but it would then be impossible to reach it once it’s up, without having to bring the pole down, and also may "look out of place". Also, the pole does wobble in the wind, so not sure if this would cause “fake” rain to be recorded.

The Pro 2 seems to get around the placement issue as the main temp / rain unit can be separate from the wind stuff. This would mean that I can place the temp / rain unit where the current rain unit is, and then the wind stuff up the pole, but is twice the price.

If I go with the Pro 2, I am then thinking about maybe also the solar / uv units to go with it, and the fact that if I do want them, then it’s cheaper to get them now with the main unit.

ProData (http://shop.weatherstations.co.uk) seem to be the cheapest (uk) place I have found.

VP2 + USB logger = £739
VP2 + USB logger + Solar = £927.10 (or £956.80 if I get the Shelf for it)
VP2 Plus + USB logger = £1149

So, any thoughts on the below.

Due to my sensor placement, I wonder if I would actually benefit from a “better” unit.
Apart from the flexibility with the placement, is the Pro 2 worth twice the price of the Vue.
Also, are the solar / uv sensors worth it, if I want the uv then I might as well go for the Plus, but if I want just the solar then getting it as an “add-on” is cheaper then the Plus.
Is there anywhere cheaper than ProData, I have found Wetterladen24 on Amazon.co.uk which seem to be a few hundred cheaper, but they are German based, so apart from the power unit having a euro plug, not sure if there will be warranty issues.

Thanks.
Ian.
MackerelSky
Weather Station: Davis VP2 w/FARS
Operating System: Toshiba Laptop Windows 7 x64

Re: Upgrade to Davis Vue / Pro 2

Post by MackerelSky »

You seem to be past the biggest hurdle with going to a VP2+ and that's the cost. When I purchased mine a little over four years ago, that was my biggest hurdle to climb until the research began to show that if I was serious about getting the equipment into the optimal place to get the best recording of data, the VP2+ wins hands down.

Get the complete system with the Solar/UV sensors built in and also the aspirated fan making sure you get the best temperature readings. I purchased the 'wireless' unit since I wanted my setup about 150' from my house and it has performed great over the years.

Brad
Davis VP2/FARS
Cumulus 1.9.4(1092)

McKean Weather
'cause not everyone lives at the airport

prodata
Weather Station: VP2
Operating System: Windows - all flavours

Post by prodata »

This isn't the place to have a commercial debate, but let me just make two points:

First, all officially sourced UK-spec stations will have a UK suffix on eg the console model number, whereas EU ones will have an EU suffix, surprisingly enough. The general policy is that non-UK sourced parts do not enjoy the official UK distributor warranty and will need to be returned to the supplying dealer in the event of any issue requiring official warranty support.

Second, of course I understand the appeal of not paying more than you absolutely have to, but in looking at price don't overlook value as well. What I mean is that weather stations are a product where the user often has a need for support, at least in the sense of advice of eg how best to site sensors or to clarify a configuration issue. Suppliers that are unreachable by phone and take forever to respond to emails are likely to be box-shifters pure and simple and unlikely to be able to provide expert support even if you can manage to make contact with them. It may well be a false economy to chase the last £5 or £10 on the initial buying price if it means that you're never going to get worthwhile support from them.
John Dann
Prodata Weather Systems
Littleport, East Cambs, UK
http://www.weatherstations.co.uk
iandrews

Post by iandrews »

Thanks prodata, since writing the 1st post a bit of research has shown that there are different "models" for different regions, and using one "out of bounds" can lead to issues. As you say, saving a few £££'s now could be false economy going forward if something goes wrong. Saying that, don't suppose you do "extra" discounts for forums members do you!!!???
iandrews

Post by iandrews »

To give an idea of my layout, I have attached a photo of my Sensor locations. The Stevenson screen is behind the plant bottom middle of the photo, and you should be able to make out the rain collector on the wall.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.